General Discussion: 2019 - Resolutions, bucket lists, hopes

Show original post
Fuzzyduck121
Fuzzyduck121 avatar

1595 posts since 14/12/12

8 Apr 2019 10:03
edlo wrote: not trying to rain on your parade but body fat scales aren't even remotely accurate

funnily enough these are within a whisker of a proper dexa scan and using calipers the measurement is exactly the same
I am pretty sure you are regurgitating stuff you have read because some of these types of scales are very accurate (some arent) and even the ones that aren't when giving a precise trend such as this indicate positive movement in the right direction. It would be very strange for them to be wholly inaccurate and yet show that graph over time which is exactly in line with expectations when sticking to a strictly measured calorie deficit.
As with these things using the mirror is way better than either weighing yourself or measuring bodyfat
edlo
edlo avatar

590 posts since 13/9/14

8 Apr 2019 10:09
So you have had a dexa scan to confirm then?
Fuzzyduck121
Fuzzyduck121 avatar

8 Apr 2019 10:09
toin wrote:
EssexBoyII wrote: I look a lot better but weight has dropped marginally/stayed static.

Maybe I'm daft but if you're lifting weights you're increasing your muscle mass, makes sense that you're not getting lighter even if you're losing fat, no?

you can only gain muscle mass when eating more calories than you consume regardless of the gym
if you eat below your energy expenditure then you can constantly lift and wont really gain muscle
the reality is that almost everyone would have a decent physique if they lift weights and exercise for conditioning the muscle (not growing it) but reduce calories to lose weight and lose fat, your diet is way more important that going to the gym every day like an idiot wearing out your joints.
To lose fat and gain muscle simultaneously and in a measurable quantity is not impossible but so close to impossible that you would have to give up your whole life to work on it
anyone who says they are shredding and getting more lean muscle mass at the same time is talking shit
so in answer to the above if hes lifting and losing weight thats very normal and whilst he wont be increasing muscle mass i guess hes getting more toned and holding onto as much muscle tissue as possible whilst losing body fat at the same time which is the best you can hope for when balancing diet and lifting and will have maximum impact when looking in the mirror
If you havent lost weight essexboy I would now go strict on calories to drop weight and you will notice more muscle tone due to your gym regime over the last few months
Fuzzyduck121
Fuzzyduck121 avatar

8 Apr 2019 10:12
edlo wrote: So you have had a dexa scan to confirm then?

scales at home weekly
get checked with the calipers then to confirm every month and a dexa scan after 3 months
scales at home are pretty accurate, way more than I thought they would be, but as I said the fact that ive dropped 2 stone and have visual abs that I didnt before is more important than bodyfat measuring as no measurement is perfect and no two people are the same
just posting the graph to the group to keep myself motivated and spur others to stick to the goals they set in January
edlo
edlo avatar

590 posts since 13/9/14

8 Apr 2019 10:25
So what were your figures for: dexa reading, bia scale, caliper?

Would be interesting to see the differences, getting the trend right isn't particularly interesting (what extra information does that give you over a trend line of your weight if the actual numbers aren't accurate).

Anyway, 10% body fat (dexa confirmed) is ripped, congrats

krisricey
krisricey avatar

1822 posts since 24/3/12

8 Apr 2019 11:56
I've had about 3 alcoholic drinks this year so thats going well. Also started boxing again twice a week with a local pro coach and it's fucking me up, but fitness defo on the rise after stopping weight lifting. Been spending still though, can't kick that habit.
Fuzzyduck121
Fuzzyduck121 avatar

8 Apr 2019 14:48
edlo wrote: So what were your figures for: dexa reading, bia scale, caliper?

Would be interesting to see the differences, getting the trend right isn't particularly interesting (what extra information does that give you over a trend line of your weight if the actual numbers aren't accurate).

Anyway, 10% body fat (dexa confirmed) is ripped, congrats

On the trend thing I would say for anyone with a goal, weightloss, fat loss, fitness etc its the trend not the numbers that's the most important as it shows if your setup is working to the desired effect
the numbers themselves merely indicate speed of progress
all my measurements with whichever method were within 10% margin for error at the time done so if the scale said 12% and Dexa says 13.1 and calipers 12.5 I would say its one and the same
For the record even Dexa isn't precise, there is zero known way to measure fat precisely that anyone can prove works unless you strip off the fat from someone's body and actually weigh it …not recommended
shields88
shields88 avatar

371 posts since 25/5/11

11 Apr 2019 15:12
Fuzzyduck121 wrote: you can only gain muscle mass when eating more calories than you consume regardless of the gym

This has been known to not be true for quite a while now.

https://examine.com/nutrition/dieting-with-a-side-of-extra-protein/?__s=kshs4xa7qbazxvanjwde

spitfiredealer
spitfiredealer avatar

2013 posts since 12/6/10

12 Apr 2019 06:26
I caved and made a purchase Oops
quest
quest avatar

3214 posts since 11/7/11

12 Apr 2019 11:50
What did you get?
tbf 4 months is good going
spitfiredealer
spitfiredealer avatar

2013 posts since 12/6/10

12 Apr 2019 16:52
A pair of wtaps cargos that I missed out on a couple of times on here popped up on the bay. So in some way I am trying to justify it as a grail purchase so that makes it ok!! Laughing out loud
swiftus
swiftus avatar

745 posts since 1/7/09

13 Apr 2019 13:46
spitfiredealer wrote: A pair of wtaps cargos that I missed out on a couple of times on here popped up on the bay. So in some way I am trying to justify it as a grail purchase so that makes it ok!! Laughing out loud

Sounds like a worthy exception. Now back to austerity Laughing out loud
Fuzzyduck121
Fuzzyduck121 avatar

posted 14 Apr 2019 07:11, edited 14 Apr 2019 07:11
shields88 wrote:
Fuzzyduck121 wrote: you can only gain muscle mass when eating more calories than you consume regardless of the gym

This has been known to not be true for quite a while now.

https://examine.com/nutrition/dieting-with-a-side-of-extra-protein/?__s=kshs4xa7qbazxvanjwde

Lol
As I said you can do both in terms of lose fat and gain or retain muscle but it’s only hypothetical because as your study shows you need to basically workout in precise ways for long periods of time every single day of the week
It is practically not possible whilst being actually possible
Practically not possible because nobody could do that and have a job or a life and even if they could muscle gains would not continue long term
In simple terms try eating 1200 cals a day then do a workout 6 days a week and walk 10k steps a day
You will not last
Mr.X.
Mr.X. avatar

2826 posts since 23/6/13

14 Apr 2019 22:26
I became a dad two weeks ago. Best day of my life. Surpassed any bucket list I could have thought of.
generic_guy
generic_guy avatar

9220 posts since 16/9/02

14 Apr 2019 23:39
Congratulations! Smiling
Becoming a parent was the best thing I've ever done, once they start sleeping better it just keeps improving.
themistake
themistake avatar

10511 posts since 20/2/06

posted 15 Apr 2019 06:08, edited 15 Apr 2019 06:08
Babies are so 2019.
MrW
MrW avatar

2514 posts since 1/8/11

19 May 2019 19:11
MrW wrote: Burt, not sure tbh - if I can come in under 5:30 (40m swim, 2:50 bike, 1:40 run) I'll be happy. First one at this distance so all a learning curve about pacing.

Happy with that Cool
Burt
Burt avatar

5435 posts since 3/1/10

19 May 2019 19:33
Cool
swiftus
swiftus avatar

745 posts since 1/7/09

20 May 2019 11:11
Congrats MrW, great effort Cool