General Discussion: 2019 - Resolutions, bucket lists, hopes

Show original post
MLI
MLI avatar

4277 posts since 6/10/09

posted 28 Dec 2018 00:35, edited 28 Dec 2018 00:35
joeyjojo wrote: I’m doing no booze no meat jan.

Why? Most of the vegos I've ever met are fat smelly slobs. If they don't drink it's even worse, they tend to eat even more fucking cakes.
Blofeld
Blofeld avatar

142 posts since 30/12/15

posted 28 Dec 2018 00:51, edited 28 Dec 2018 00:51
'spend more time/money on the things that actually matter'.

I've had a couple of close mates come to me this year and say that they've been struggling with depression/issues for a while and I haven't even known. Proper drove it home of how caught up we can get in just 'stuff' and totally miss what's going on around us. Resolution is to be more wary of that.
MLI
MLI avatar

4277 posts since 6/10/09

28 Dec 2018 00:58
Blofeld wrote: 'spend more time/money on the things that actually matter'.

I've had a couple of close mates come to me this year and say that they've been struggling with depression/issues for a while and I haven't even known. Proper drove it home of how caught up we can get in just 'stuff' and totally miss what's going on around us. Resolution is to be more wary of that.

No they're actually normal people but society now tells them they are weak and victims with "depression". No it's just life, with its normal ups and downs. Tell your buddies to harden up.
quest
quest avatar

3193 posts since 11/7/11

28 Dec 2018 01:00
You’re a fucking idiot
MLI
MLI avatar

4277 posts since 6/10/09

28 Dec 2018 02:19
quest wrote: You’re a fucking idiot

you're a brainwashed fucking idiot
swede
swede avatar

7836 posts since 21/3/09

28 Dec 2018 08:21
Burt wrote: Is this 'headspace' thing the same thing as just sitting down and doing fuck all (no telly/book/phone/etc); if it is I'd fall asleep within minutes. I regularly get home from work, take a shower, lie on the bed and fall asleep for an hour or more. Fucking Brilliant 'therapy'.

As for Facebook, fuck knows why ANYONE with even a hint of intelligence would use it - made for cunts.

Yeah I fell asleep to it loads which was a bit counter intuitive, had to redo quite a few sessions..

I genuinely find myself going on fb less and less because it’s so shit. Spend far more time on insta (stories have made it more addictive due to the passiveness of browsing). Issue is I do like insta and don’t have the motivation to jack it in
Razorlight123
Razorlight123 avatar

4363 posts since 13/1/10

28 Dec 2018 08:22
I'd also recommend adding this to your morning routine if you can - just wakes your brain up:

Elevate - brain training

iOS
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/elevate-brain-training/id875063456?mt=8

Android
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wonder
Burt
Burt avatar

5405 posts since 3/1/10

28 Dec 2018 08:41
swede wrote: Yeah I fell asleep to it loads which was a bit counter intuitive, had to redo quite a few sessions..
So it's better than a shower followed by a kip in the afternoon? Why's that? What more do you get out of it than you do the aforentioned? Genuine question(s).
swede
swede avatar

7836 posts since 21/3/09

28 Dec 2018 08:47
Depends what you are after - there are different courses. It sort of restructures your thinking, allows you to put stressful thoughts to one side, appreciate simpler things in life and act on opportunities you had previously overlooked
darko
darko avatar

909 posts since 4/10/12

posted 28 Dec 2018 09:36, edited 28 Dec 2018 09:36
quest wrote: You’re a fucking idiot
Sholto
Sholto avatar

481 posts since 25/12/12

posted 28 Dec 2018 09:57, edited 28 Dec 2018 09:57
It's hard to explain but it really does just make you more.. Mindful. I experienced much calmer, clearer thoughts which greatly reduced forgetfulness, made me feel much more clear headed and awake all day, made it easier to approach and tackle problems and basically eradicated some social anxiety that I have had. I imagine the effects can differ, and will depend on how much effort you put into it.

I encourage people to try it, I was spurred into doing it after being stuck in a horrible come down from yet another weekend binging on the chisel. The positive effects came on fairly quickly, after the second 10 minute session, and strengthened with each session.

It's definitely not mumbo jumbo, it's training your brain to deal with thoughts as they enter your head - nowadays there are so many digital distractions and your brain is basically working overtime from morning to evening, with millions of thoughts flying around out of nowhere. It helped my order them and process them.

I use the headspace app, a year's subscription is quite expensive but you get a free year's subscription when you sign up to Anxiety UK.

For anyone concerned about finding the time, it's only 10 minutes a day, listening to a guided episode where you should sit in a quiet room on your own and listen to it. Personally I don't think 10 minutes is much to dedicate to something that can have a big impact, I probably spent half of that typing this post.
Crackajack
Crackajack avatar

7033 posts since 21/4/05

28 Dec 2018 10:09
Home:

Buy a flat.
Cut down on beer and restart boxing / gym.
Stop spending far too much disposable income on shoes / clothing.

Work:

I have something of an opportunity to reshape my current role at work, so really going to try and ensure I take time each day to learn/research/network/ and generally do 'professional development'. Then think about moving somewhere else Eye-wink
joeyjojo
joeyjojo avatar

3914 posts since 24/8/06

28 Dec 2018 14:12
Caved in 3 days early and bought some red wings !

They won’t be delivered until 2nd so reckon that still counts right ?
Razorlight123
Razorlight123 avatar

4363 posts since 13/1/10

posted 28 Dec 2018 14:18, edited 28 Dec 2018 14:18
Yeah I also have some buyers remorse as I bought a Nike Tech Knit Jacket for abit of under layering.

But it's being delivered today so doesn't count

swiftus
swiftus avatar

733 posts since 1/7/09

28 Dec 2018 16:20
I just bought a Sonos Play speaker, fingers x it's the last thing I buy for a while now.
swede
swede avatar

7836 posts since 21/3/09

28 Dec 2018 17:11
joeyjojo wrote: Caved in 3 days early and bought some red wings !

They won’t be delivered until 2nd so reckon that still counts right ?

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud
MLI
MLI avatar

4277 posts since 6/10/09

28 Dec 2018 21:20
Sholto wrote: It's hard to explain but it really does just make you more.. Mindful. I experienced much calmer, clearer thoughts which greatly reduced forgetfulness, made me feel much more clear headed and awake all day, made it easier to approach and tackle problems and basically eradicated some social anxiety that I have had. I imagine the effects can differ, and will depend on how much effort you put into it.

I encourage people to try it, I was spurred into doing it after being stuck in a horrible come down from yet another weekend binging on the chisel. The positive effects came on fairly quickly, after the second 10 minute session, and strengthened with each session.

It's definitely not mumbo jumbo, it's training your brain to deal with thoughts as they enter your head - nowadays there are so many digital distractions and your brain is basically working overtime from morning to evening, with millions of thoughts flying around out of nowhere. It helped my order them and process them.

I use the headspace app, a year's subscription is quite expensive but you get a free year's subscription when you sign up to Anxiety UK.

For anyone concerned about finding the time, it's only 10 minutes a day, listening to a guided episode where you should sit in a quiet room on your own and listen to it. Personally I don't think 10 minutes is much to dedicate to something that can have a big impact, I probably spent half of that typing this post.

I guess that's why I'm not as mentally weak as you. I basically run 30 minutes most days and that's when I clear my head.

You don't need a fucking app to clear your head. It's a fucking money making scam.

MLI
MLI avatar

4277 posts since 6/10/09

28 Dec 2018 21:54
Or even just put your phone down when ur taking a shit. Mental wellness done.
Crackajack
Crackajack avatar

7033 posts since 21/4/05

28 Dec 2018 21:59
Laughing out loud

EssexBoyII
EssexBoyII avatar

6355 posts since 5/6/07

28 Dec 2018 22:05
I did find Headpace rubbish to be fair and I love a bit of yoga etc. Just didn’t do much for me.