Random Questions: Apple iPad


Show original post
THE GUV'NOR
THE GUV'NOR avatar

3279 posts since 4/5/04

5 Apr 2010 20:03
AAA wrote: Its made by Apple and its white

racist!
phelen
phelen avatar

6396 posts since 16/8/06

5 Apr 2010 20:05
Apparently its actually really good, suprisingly good for taking notes, chatting, browsing with the only notable exception autocorrection, and selecting certain punctuation characters. As an ebook reader i.e digital reader its really good which would be the sole reason why I buy one.
troll
troll avatar

3571 posts since 30/1/10

5 Apr 2010 20:07
Geez that's some cheesy grin Tom Dickson of BlenTec got! Smiling

Also noticed that the iPad seems to work with big hefty workman's gloves?
troll
troll avatar

3571 posts since 30/1/10

5 Apr 2010 20:10
phelen wrote: Apparently its actually really good, suprisingly good for taking notes, chatting, browsing with the only notable exception autocorrection, and selecting certain punctuation characters. As an ebook reader i.e digital reader its really good which would be the sole reason why I buy one.

Those are the reason's why I'm very tempted to lay down some dough! It'll be easier than lugging my MacBook Pro about!
phelen
phelen avatar

6396 posts since 16/8/06

5 Apr 2010 20:14
^I be tempted sometime down the line however, still hoping the courier will be produced Roll Eyes
bill
bill avatar

4905 posts since 5/8/09

5 Apr 2010 20:25
I don't want one.

Here now with the laptop on my chest, laying on the sofa. Hands are free. I can watch the lord of the rings trilogy and keep my balls warm at the same time.

If I had an iPad, couldn't do that cause you always gotta hold the thing upright with one hand all the time. Imagine watching a movie holding the thing the entire way through? Puzzled

And no flash for browsing is epic failure. I watch flash video every single day, as I imagine most of you do as well. So the hype about it being great for browsing is total rubbish.

ChrisAlright
ChrisAlright avatar

1429 posts since 29/6/08

5 Apr 2010 20:36
billhicks wrote: I don't want one.

Here now with the laptop on my chest, laying on the sofa. Hands are free. I can watch the lord of the rings trilogy and keep my balls warm at the same time.

Can I have a diagram please? I can't see how this is done.

When you have a laptop on your chest:
1) It's fucking uncomfortable
2) How would it warm your balls
3) Your head would have to tilt at such an uncomfortable position to see anything

Personally, I open the laptop up and rest the bottom edge just below my collarbone which enables me to view the screen comfortably in a natural position. PM for further instructions.
troll
troll avatar

3571 posts since 30/1/10

5 Apr 2010 20:45
billhicks wrote: I don't want one.

Here now with the laptop on my chest, laying on the sofa. Hands are free. I can watch the lord of the rings trilogy and keep my balls warm at the same time.

If I had an iPad, couldn't do that cause you always gotta hold the thing upright with one hand all the time. Imagine watching a movie holding the thing the entire way through? Puzzled

And no flash for browsing is epic failure. I watch flash video every single day, as I imagine most of you do as well. So the hype about it being great for browsing is total rubbish.
You do realise that you're nuking your balls!

Plus you can get a case for the iPad so you don't have to hold it!
phelen
phelen avatar

6396 posts since 16/8/06

5 Apr 2010 20:45
This is a quote from someone who has one, doesn't sound a pain in the ass at all but you need a case.

But the caveat here is that I use it with the device in the case. This lets you easily hold it with one hand and type away with the other. It also lets you fold back one side of the case to create a sort of tilt stand. I find typing with it like this a lot better than just typing with the device completely flat on my lap. I really think Apple missed a trick by not presenting the device with the case as standard. I know I wasn't convinced by how usable the device would be based on the presentation and videos of the device being used without the case
troll
troll avatar

3571 posts since 30/1/10

5 Apr 2010 20:46
phelen wrote: ^I be tempted sometime down the line however, still hoping the courier will be produced Roll Eyes
The Courier does look tempting but the video I saw of it look like a mock-up whether it'll be like that in real life is another thing. Plus being a PC it won't fit in with everything I have and to be honest I cannot stand PC's. I spent a week away from work and used my Mac Pro extensively with not one hiccup, I come back and as soon as I switch on my work PC; BOOM a problem! Yes I'm a hater!

I may just wait for the 2nd Generation of the iPad!
Mr X
Mr X avatar

7053 posts since 12/7/07

5 Apr 2010 20:48
Does anyone take their laptop with them on holiday or just their iphone?

Before the iphone I used to use my laptop everywhere but its yet another thing to carry and I like travelling as light as possible.
nothingelseworked
nothingelseworked avatar

3260 posts since 21/2/10

5 Apr 2010 20:49
billhicks wrote: and keep my balls warm at the same time.

Enjoy your lack of baby-making.

billhicks wrote: And no flash for browsing is epic failure. I watch flash video every single day, as I imagine most of you do as well. So the hype about it being great for browsing is total rubbish.

There's no Flash in Apple's mobile products for 2 reasons:

1) It is in fact a piece of shit, especially on mobile devices. (Apple are actually telling the truth for once)

2) HTML5 and the H.264 codec will oust Flash in the coming years; it'll be the web standard, much like XHTML and CSS are now.

Oh and you're wrong about most people using flash, I don't use it for anything. Yeah I watch YouTube videos, but I'm in the HTML5 beta, no need for Flash…but of course it's only a beta so not all videos are in HTML5 yet, so I will admit I do use it here sometimes…but not by choice. And I don't play flash-based games. Oh and I block all ads, mostly which compromise of Flash.

A lot of other video sites are running HTML5 beta's, like Vimeo, so it won't be long before all major video-sites work on Apple's devices. But seeing as YouTube is usually the first and foremost for videos, you can either use the HTML5 to watch most videos on the iPad or just use the stock YouTube app on the device.

Having said all that, I still think the iPad is a piece of shit on the whole, but I can still see it's place in the market; it'll be something that's used in the kitchen or in the living room by computer-retards, much like my parents who have never used a computer…sad I know.
troll
troll avatar

3571 posts since 30/1/10

5 Apr 2010 20:50
phelen wrote: This is a quote from someone who has one, doesn't sound a pain in the ass at all but you need a case.

But the caveat here is that I use it with the device in the case. This lets you easily hold it with one hand and type away with the other. It also lets you fold back one side of the case to create a sort of tilt stand. I find typing with it like this a lot better than just typing with the device completely flat on my lap. I really think Apple missed a trick by not presenting the device with the case as standard. I know I wasn't convinced by how usable the device would be based on the presentation and videos of the device being used without the case

I wish Apple did something like this!
It's the Nokia N96, a little stand you could flick out would've have been cool and made it more practical imo!
bill
bill avatar

4905 posts since 5/8/09

5 Apr 2010 20:53
WTF are you talking about "nuking your balls"…. Puzzled

billhicks wrote: Here now with the laptop on my chest, laying on the sofa. Hands are free I can watch the lord of the rings trilogy and keep my balls warm at the same time.


phelen
phelen avatar

6396 posts since 16/8/06

5 Apr 2010 20:54
I gone from dismissing the Ipad to maybe someone I like to get in the future, however, again depend what the HP Slate is like and if the Courier gets released. If only they have a digitiser so I could draw on then it be great.
bill
bill avatar

4905 posts since 5/8/09

5 Apr 2010 21:07
rUmmeh wrote:
billhicks wrote: and keep my balls warm at the same time.

Enjoy your lack of baby-making.

billhicks wrote: And no flash for browsing is epic failure. I watch flash video every single day, as I imagine most of you do as well. So the hype about it being great for browsing is total rubbish.

There's no Flash in Apple's mobile products for 2 reasons:

1) It is in fact a piece of shit, especially on mobile devices. (Apple are actually telling the truth for once)

What are you, steve jobs barker? Laughing out loud

Apple also think BluRay is shit, basically, everything's shit that they don't make or control.

2) HTML5 and the H.264 codec will oust Flash in the coming years; it'll be the web standard, much like XHTML and CSS are now.

Flying cars will be all the rage in a future too, at this moment in time I'd like wheels on mine please.

Oh and you're wrong about most people using flash, I don't use it for anything.

who's wrong? Puzzled

http://www.adrianblog.com/web-development/flash-player-installed-on-987-percent-of-online-computers.html
http://www.adobe.com/products/player_census/flashplayer/

You might not use it but don't assume you are everyone else. It's simple to me, you wanna sell a machine and tout it as the 'ultimate browsing experience' then you gotta make sure it works with a large portion of the web.

They even had to edit their own promo pics because they photoshopped in flash content on certain websites that in reality would be a big fat "?".
phelen
phelen avatar

6396 posts since 16/8/06

5 Apr 2010 21:20
HTML5 and the H.264 will definately become the standard in the future, there's no question of that not happening just a matter of when. Again most sites i.e good ones have alternatives to Flash embedded content anyway.
troll
troll avatar

3571 posts since 30/1/10

5 Apr 2010 21:22
billhicks wrote:
rUmmeh wrote:
billhicks wrote: and keep my balls warm at the same time.

Enjoy your lack of baby-making.

billhicks wrote: And no flash for browsing is epic failure. I watch flash video every single day, as I imagine most of you do as well. So the hype about it being great for browsing is total rubbish.

There's no Flash in Apple's mobile products for 2 reasons:

1) It is in fact a piece of shit, especially on mobile devices. (Apple are actually telling the truth for once)

What are you, steve jobs barker? Laughing out loud

Apple also think BluRay is shit, basically, everything's shit that they don't make or control.

2) HTML5 and the H.264 codec will oust Flash in the coming years; it'll be the web standard, much like XHTML and CSS are now.

Flying cars will be all the rage in a future too, at this moment in time I'd like wheels on mine please.

Oh and you're wrong about most people using flash, I don't use it for anything.

who's wrong? Puzzled

http://www.adrianblog.com/web-development/flash-player-installed-on-987-percent-of-online-computers.html
http://www.adobe.com/products/player_census/flashplayer/

You might not use it but don't assume you are everyone else. It's simple to me, you wanna sell a machine and tout it as the 'ultimate browsing experience' then you gotta make sure it works with a large portion of the web.

They even had to edit their own promo pics because they photoshopped in flash content on certain websites that in reality would be a big fat "?".


Just because it's on 98.8% of computers it doesn't mean 98.8% use it.
Flash is the de facto standard but won't be in the future. And I for one will not miss it too much once it has been superseded by HTML 5.

Also if you're warming your balls with it, believe me you're nuking them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2oNkmfZr7w&hl=en_GB&fs=1&;
bill
bill avatar

4905 posts since 5/8/09

5 Apr 2010 21:32
troll wrote: Also if you're warming your balls with it, believe me you're nuking them.

Noble Locks wrote:

troll
troll avatar

3571 posts since 30/1/10

5 Apr 2010 21:47
billhicks wrote:
troll wrote: Also if you're warming your balls with it, believe me you're nuking them.

Noble Locks wrote:

You may want to read this.

Laptops may damage male fertility or this Laptops Linked To Male Infertility

I'm not having a go at you, it was only a warning to what I've read before!