Random Questions: Apple iPad


Show original post
MoB
MoB avatar

37251 posts since 31/8/04

3 Apr 2011 18:06
Get a MacBook air
Razorlight123
Razorlight123 avatar

5043 posts since 13/1/10

3 Apr 2011 18:10
If I've already got a laptop would you recommend a macbook if so … why?
DuffMan
DuffMan avatar

14389 posts since 21/2/07

3 Apr 2011 19:22
Do you mean as a replacement?
gojira.
gojira. avatar

4624 posts since 3/5/05

3 Apr 2011 19:52
Most of the time I used my old ipad without a computer,I just got cloud based storage set up in my house and connected to a 350gb hard drive via an app.
schtoop
schtoop avatar

13042 posts since 9/4/07

4 Apr 2011 16:26
someone be cool and get this

http://www.spinninghat.com/product/typescreen
phelen
phelen avatar

6744 posts since 16/8/06

4 Apr 2011 16:53
schtoop wrote: someone be cool and get this

http://www.spinninghat.com/product/typescreen

That was an April's Fool.

EDIT:You probably knew
schtoop
schtoop avatar

13042 posts since 9/4/07

4 Apr 2011 16:57
yeah i saw on another link, and also because of the pacman ipad arcade one last year… but didnt know if you could actually buy it since its on that site
Razorlight123
Razorlight123 avatar

5043 posts since 13/1/10

4 Apr 2011 17:58
DuffMan wrote: Do you mean as a replacement?

Yeah as a complete replacement, or should I just stick with Windows based OS
DuffMan
DuffMan avatar

14389 posts since 21/2/07

4 Apr 2011 18:09
I had a laptop, replaced it with a macbook pro. OSX is idiotproof and v. nice, although I like windows 7 quite a lot as well. Hardware-wise they are expensive for not particularly amazing components. BUT you get a good keyboard+trackpad (the finger gestures are good), a good screen, it's aluminium all over which is about 100000x better than plastic and they look and feel bloody nice and have cracking battery life (at least to start with). Basically you should buy whatever best fits your needs best, I bought the macbook pro because I cared more about how nice it was to use than it's value for money.


On a seperate note, someone with an ipad, if I take a portable hdd to the states when I buy an ipad, what level of annoyance + time am I looking at to jailbreak, customise + add good apps + put the documents I need on the thing (I realise I will need a computer for this)?
Razorlight123
Razorlight123 avatar

5043 posts since 13/1/10

4 Apr 2011 18:48
DuffMan wrote: I had a laptop, replaced it with a macbook pro. OSX is idiotproof and v. nice, although I like windows 7 quite a lot as well. Hardware-wise they are expensive for not particularly amazing components. BUT you get a good keyboard+trackpad (the finger gestures are good), a good screen, it's aluminium all over which is about 100000x better than plastic and they look and feel bloody nice and have cracking battery life (at least to start with). Basically you should buy whatever best fits your needs best, I bought the macbook pro because I cared more about how nice it was to use than it's value for money.


On a seperate note, someone with an ipad, if I take a portable hdd to the states when I buy an ipad, what level of annoyance + time am I looking at to jailbreak, customise + add good apps + put the documents I need on the thing (I realise I will need a computer for this)?

Cheers, Jailbreak is kind of 'straightforward' customise also easy - apps easy to download, documents are easy to put across using 'goodreader'

It's quite straightforward, however today it took me a while to sort out 4.3.1 jailbreak for iPad because i had to modify the system file to enable the finger-gestures to work.
subsection
subsection avatar

194 posts since 25/5/10

4 Apr 2011 19:57
GameOver wrote: - can i stream music onto my stereo system (amp, speakers) easily - (airport express thing offer this sort of functionality?) will all apps stream to the stereo eg streamed music through safari, or vlc app etc?

i should really save up for a macbook shouldn't i…?

Do you have an airport express? If not, how do you intend to stream to your stereo system?
GameOver
GameOver avatar

1840 posts since 1/6/06

4 Apr 2011 21:01
subsection wrote:
GameOver wrote: - can i stream music onto my stereo system (amp, speakers) easily - (airport express thing offer this sort of functionality?) will all apps stream to the stereo eg streamed music through safari, or vlc app etc?

i should really save up for a macbook shouldn't i…?

Do you have an airport express? If not, how do you intend to stream to your stereo system?

…no i don't, i'm asking whether i can with an airport express - i now understand it does offer this sort of functionality

are there any cheaper alternatives etc?

i think the lack of flash would frustrate me too much, going to save for the £999 mac book pro.
phelen
phelen avatar

6744 posts since 16/8/06

4 Apr 2011 21:29
DuffMan wrote: On a seperate note, someone with an ipad, if I take a portable hdd to the states when I buy an ipad, what level of annoyance + time am I looking at to jailbreak, customise + add good apps + put the documents I need on the thing (I realise I will need a computer for this)?

No JB for Ipad2 yet.
stoney
stoney avatar

17785 posts since 22/1/05

4 Apr 2011 21:44
phelen wrote:
DuffMan wrote: On a seperate note, someone with an ipad, if I take a portable hdd to the states when I buy an ipad, what level of annoyance + time am I looking at to jailbreak, customise + add good apps + put the documents I need on the thing (I realise I will need a computer for this)?

No JB for Ipad2 yet.

read on Macrumours that it might be 6 months Jawdropping!
subsection
subsection avatar

194 posts since 25/5/10

4 Apr 2011 21:51
GameOver wrote:
subsection wrote:
GameOver wrote: - can i stream music onto my stereo system (amp, speakers) easily - (airport express thing offer this sort of functionality?) will all apps stream to the stereo eg streamed music through safari, or vlc app etc?

i should really save up for a macbook shouldn't i…?

Do you have an airport express? If not, how do you intend to stream to your stereo system?

…no i don't, i'm asking whether i can with an airport express - i now understand it does offer this sort of functionality

are there any cheaper alternatives etc?

i think the lack of flash would frustrate me too much, going to save for the £999 mac book pro.

There are no alternatives to airport express that offer the exact same features and functionality. You can stream from ipad to Airport Express and then of course you can connect that to your stereo system. You can pick up a cheap Airport Express from ebay.
phelen
phelen avatar

6744 posts since 16/8/06

5 Apr 2011 01:20
stoney wrote:
phelen wrote:
DuffMan wrote: On a seperate note, someone with an ipad, if I take a portable hdd to the states when I buy an ipad, what level of annoyance + time am I looking at to jailbreak, customise + add good apps + put the documents I need on the thing (I realise I will need a computer for this)?

No JB for Ipad2 yet.

read on Macrumours that it might be 6 months Jawdropping!

By that time i05 be out, but I doubt it be 6 months really the jailbreak exists but uses Apple Code so in its current state illegal to distribute.
DuffMan
DuffMan avatar

14389 posts since 21/2/07

5 Apr 2011 01:24
I won't be leaving til june anyway so will see the state of things nearer the time, be surprised if there isn't a jailbreak by then tbh.
phelen
phelen avatar

6744 posts since 16/8/06

5 Apr 2011 01:25
Apparently a new challenger has arrived, ETA according WRSFord is Monday were his supposed jailbreak for Ipad2 is out.
ODB
ODB avatar

3611 posts since 21/6/06

5 Apr 2011 09:14
GameOver wrote:
subsection wrote:
GameOver wrote: - can i stream music onto my stereo system (amp, speakers) easily - (airport express thing offer this sort of functionality?) will all apps stream to the stereo eg streamed music through safari, or vlc app etc?

i should really save up for a macbook shouldn't i…?

Do you have an airport express? If not, how do you intend to stream to your stereo system?

…no i don't, i'm asking whether i can with an airport express - i now understand it does offer this sort of functionality

are there any cheaper alternatives etc?

i think the lack of flash would frustrate me too much, going to save for the £999 mac book pro.
I couldn't do without the Airport Express, works flawlessly Cool
edit only use it with my pro
stoney
stoney avatar

17785 posts since 22/1/05

6 Apr 2011 18:03
got one today, they have a white 64gb wifi left if anyone still needs one, could do a pick up.