Random Questions: Basketball


Show original post
LFC
LFC avatar

3532 posts since 14/6/11

posted 20 May 2017 08:24, edited 20 May 2017 08:24
Yeah can't wait. LeBron is just unreal. Hope he wins MVP too Cool

Exit: Just seen he's not been named in the top 3, fuckin joke Evil
LFC
LFC avatar

3532 posts since 14/6/11

13 Jun 2017 10:27
So underwhelming compared to last yearPuzzled
smith
smith avatar

10716 posts since 5/5/04

posted 13 Jun 2017 11:35, edited 13 Jun 2017 11:35
LFC wrote: So underwhelming compared to last yearPuzzled

It was never going to eclipse quite possibly the greatest finals in NBA history.

Anyway I enjoyed this years. High scoring games because no-one was missing, such is the quality of players in those two teams. Lebron backboard dunk, not only highlight of the final but highlight of the season for me. Sheer audacity to try that shit in a final against Golden State and pull it off.

His teammate was going up for it as thought it was an alley oop pass for him Laughing out loud

Lebron: "Nope!"

GOAT Ubercool
http://imgur.com/mRwAwb2
LFC
LFC avatar

3532 posts since 14/6/11

29 Apr 2018 21:39
First round of the Playoffs this year have been class!
ismvil
ismvil avatar

597 posts since 16/9/11

29 Apr 2018 23:52
Lebron wasn’t human in that game 7. Man is a machine.
Birdman
Birdman avatar

1328 posts since 10/3/10

30 Apr 2018 03:28
Amazing. Yet people still hate on him - don’t really understand it. Much better than Kobe.
smith
smith avatar

10716 posts since 5/5/04

posted 30 Apr 2018 12:57, edited 30 Apr 2018 12:57
People hate on him because he is superhuman and when he "brings it" they can't stand him because it seems so unfair on the opposition who have been playing a team game all season.
Foxtrot
Foxtrot avatar

2466 posts since 8/4/09

30 Apr 2018 13:11
I think people hate him because he is an arrogant twat
Foxtrot
Foxtrot avatar

2466 posts since 8/4/09

30 Apr 2018 13:14
his massive ego and undue influence on the cav's transfer policy. the fact that he travels and gets away with so many calls (that said the refs miss a lot of calls)
smith
smith avatar

10716 posts since 5/5/04

posted 30 Apr 2018 14:50, edited 30 Apr 2018 14:50
Travelling Laughing out loud really??

He must be the first player in the history of the NBA to do that for that to be a reason to hate on him.

There is much debate on whether his drives are offensive fouls or not but equally as much debate on the amount of non-calls he gets.

I always find it funny when people suggest they don't like him because of officiating which is out of his hands.

As for the arrogant comment ,I don't find him arrogant at all. Confidence can be preceived negatively when you hate on someone.
Sleuth
Sleuth avatar

5374 posts since 12/9/04

30 Apr 2018 16:05
Foxtrot wrote: his massive ego and undue influence on the cav's transfer policy. the fact that he travels and gets away with so many calls (that said the refs miss a lot of calls)

Haters going to hate.

The guy has massive influence within his teams because of what he brings to the team on and off the court, Of course they are going to want to keep him happy and seek guidance from one of the best players ever, why wouldn't you? He helped bring the Cavs their only NBA championship, he brings so much money to the local community as well, his influence is huge.

Michael Jordan had influence on who was picked for the dream team in 92 that's how far his reach and ego stretched.

Travelling is so hard to call in real time for NBA refs in a lot of incidents, it happens league wide, LeBron travels no more than Harden or Westbrook for example, it's a weak argument to use to dislike one of the greatest players ever.

LeBron has literally just carried his team over the line against a young and exciting Pacers team to the most part all by himself and yet people are still full of hate towards the guy because he's that good.

Try appreciate what you're seeing as you'll miss LeBron when he's gone.
Blanco87
Blanco87 avatar

344 posts since 26/9/09

3 May 2018 17:53
He's obviously in the top-2 players of all time so you can't hate on him for his ability or achievements or the way he's dominated throughout his career.

That said, it's not a massive stretch to think the guy has something of an ego and has made some terrible decisions from a personnel perspective, not to mention the whole "taking my talents to South Beach" episode.

Bottom line is that the Cavs are shit because Lue is a terrible coach and their roster isn't up to scratch (even after they jettisoned half their squad at the deadline for younger and more athletic players).

Also not convinced we'll miss him that much considering what the likes of Simmons, Embiid, KAT, Mitchell, Tatum etc. are doing early on in their careers. Simmons is a jump-shot away from being Lebron 2.0, Mitchell is a better Wade etc.
Sleuth
Sleuth avatar

5374 posts since 12/9/04

3 May 2018 21:55
Blanco87 wrote: That said, it's not a massive stretch to think the guy has something of an ego and has made some terrible decisions from a personnel perspective


etc.

Like what exactly? Because he made a press conference to say he's moving to Miami? The guy has literally never been caught in any compromising positions as a professional, has the same girlfriend from high school. The only thing I can think of is the whole Hummer thing which was his mother's naivitity and back then he was still only a kid dropping 52 points in high school games.

Blanco87 wrote: Also not convinced we'll miss him that much considering what the likes of Simmons, Embiid, KAT, Mitchell, Tatum etc. are doing early on in their careers. Simmons is a jump-shot away from being Lebron 2.0, Mitchell is a better Wade

Laughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loud the NBA didn't start in 2014 mate. Tatum has been in the league 10 months and Simmons and Embiid have missed three full seasons between them. Simmons is another ankle surgery away from being Grant Hill 2.0 already.
Blanco87
Blanco87 avatar

344 posts since 26/9/09

posted 3 May 2018 22:52, edited 3 May 2018 22:52
Sleuth wrote: Like what exactly? Because he made a press conference to say he's moving to Miami? The guy has literally never been caught in any compromising positions as a professional, has the same girlfriend from high school. The only thing I can think of is the whole Hummer thing which was his mother's naivitity and back then he was still only a kid dropping 52 points in high school games.

A press conference? The man concocted a plan to play with his best mates (who coincidently were two of the best players in the league at the time) and had a fucking nationally televised special announcing his decision ffs. And where did I say anything about him ending up in compromising positions, not sure how you equate that with ego or a tendency to make poorly thought out decisions with regards to personnel.

I never mentioned nor was even thinking about the hummer thing. I don't give a fuck about that. It's the constant desire to be the centre of attention (although I will admit this has diminished since his return to CLE), requesting the FO make certain moves and the dubious nature of his stake in Klutch that informs my opinion of him. I even said he was probably a top-2 player of all time. Don't know what else you want from me here?

Sleuth wrote: Laughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loud the NBA didn't start in 2014 mate. Tatum has been in the league 10 months and Simmons and Embiid have missed three full seasons between them. Simmons is another ankle surgery away from being Grant Hill 2.0 already.

Did this sound better in your head? I'm aware the league didn't start in 2014 mate, been a fan of the league since the mid-90s and literally played the game at various levels since I was a child.

And for the record that Simmons analogy makes no sense. He broke his foot not his ankle and Grant Hill was a 6'8" small forward who didn't have the court vision or play PG/initiate the offence at anywhere near the level Simmons does for Philly. And seems pretty clear from the numbers that Embiid is one of the most impactful and skilled big men the league has seen for sometime no?

My point, which clearly went way over your head, was that the league will progress as it always has and is in good hands given the established stars, up and comers and a rookie class that has the potential to be one of the best since Wade/Bron/Melo etc.
ismvil
ismvil avatar

597 posts since 16/9/11

4 May 2018 06:09
No one gets called for travelling anymore. It's beyond a joke. See Shaqtin
Sleuth
Sleuth avatar

5374 posts since 12/9/04

4 May 2018 07:32
Blanco87 wrote:
Sleuth wrote: Like what exactly? Because he made a press conference to say he's moving to Miami? The guy has literally never been caught in any compromising positions as a professional, has the same girlfriend from high school. The only thing I can think of is the whole Hummer thing which was his mother's naivitity and back then he was still only a kid dropping 52 points in high school games.

A press conference? The man concocted a plan to play with his best mates (who coincidently were two of the best players in the league at the time) and had a fucking nationally televised special announcing his decision ffs. And where did I say anything about him ending up in compromising positions, not sure how you equate that with ego or a tendency to make poorly thought out decisions with regards to personnel.

I never mentioned nor was even thinking about the hummer thing. I don't give a fuck about that. It's the constant desire to be the centre of attention (although I will admit this has diminished since his return to CLE), requesting the FO make certain moves and the dubious nature of his stake in Klutch that informs my opinion of him. I even said he was probably a top-2 player of all time. Don't know what else you want from me here?

Sleuth wrote: Laughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loud the NBA didn't start in 2014 mate. Tatum has been in the league 10 months and Simmons and Embiid have missed three full seasons between them. Simmons is another ankle surgery away from being Grant Hill 2.0 already.

Did this sound better in your head? I'm aware the league didn't start in 2014 mate, been a fan of the league since the mid-90s and literally played the game at various levels since I was a child.

And for the record that Simmons analogy makes no sense. He broke his foot not his ankle and Grant Hill was a 6'8" small forward who didn't have the court vision or play PG/initiate the offence at anywhere near the level Simmons does for Philly. And seems pretty clear from the numbers that Embiid is one of the most impactful and skilled big men the league has seen for sometime no?

My point, which clearly went way over your head, was that the league will progress as it always has and is in good hands given the established stars, up and comers and a rookie class that has the potential to be one of the best since Wade/Bron/Melo etc.

No, I understood what you're saying but the guy is as you say top 2 of all time(we agree), has been touted as potentially as such since he was 15/16. Of course he's going to have an ego. Michael Jordan had an ego too, Charles Barkley still has an ego and what? How could you not? I addressed the influence on team decisions on a previous post over the page, it's not ego related and LeBron is not the first person to be involved in these sort of team decisions.

I actually came back to say there are some deep rookies in this class, everyone knew that a couple of years ago. Simmons isn't a rookie imo, embiid is good but he's not going to be Shaq or even David Robinson or Hakeem Olajuwon and Patrick Ewing and if you think we're not going to miss LeBron and what he is doing 15 years into his career because we have Simmons and Embiid, you're reaching. I'm still waiting for Lenny Cooke to be better than LeBron.

My Grant hill analogy was not 'specific' injury related but before LeBron Grant Hill was the next Jordan, I merely used him to compare the trajectory of how injuries can shape a career and Simmons started his career not playing all season.

Don't get me wrong Simmons is going to be good, he's young and exciting and versatile as hell position wise, lebron's talked him up but he does this to a lot of young players but it's very very very early to call him LeBron 2.0 and I personally don't agree with that comparison especially as I don't see him having the same career longevity as James.

Simmons has come into the league on a pretty stacked team, with embiid and players like JJ to help carry the load, LeBron came into the league onto a god awful Cavs team as a 19 year old high school player and took over games.

As you've said Simmons really needs to develop that jump shot(he may never develop one), especially since I think he took one 3 all regular season. LeBron came into the league averaging 21ppg as a rookie, Simmons just under 16ppg, LeBron had about 15 games his rookie season scoring 30 or more points a game.

Let's just call Ben Simmons Ben Simmons for now eh?

*Edit - apologies for any spelling or grammatical errors in the above I'm typing on my phone.


Enjoy the rest of the playoffs.
LFC
LFC avatar

3532 posts since 14/6/11

4 May 2018 08:02
LeBron will truly be missed. My 6 year old daughter is even obsessed with him and watches games with me. She has a LeBron doll and NBA Nikes because of him Laughing out loud

Last night was unreal. To think it’s his 15th season! I remember him being drafted and wish I could see it all over again. Will be a sad day when he calls it quits.
smith
smith avatar

10716 posts since 5/5/04

4 May 2018 09:16
Blanco87 wrote: Simmons is a jump-shot away from being Lebron 2.0, Mitchell is a better Wade etc.

Laughing out loud

Game 2:

Blanco87
Blanco87 avatar

344 posts since 26/9/09

4 May 2018 10:45
Yeah admittedly not a great night for my argument there Laughing out loud

Simmons will be fine though. Distinctly remember Bron not showing up in playoff games against Boston, San Antonio and Dallas in previous years. It happens to everyone.

Birdman
Birdman avatar

1328 posts since 10/3/10

5 May 2018 02:55
Blanco87 wrote: and literally played the game at various levels since I was a child.

Did you play men’s National League? We may have played one another at some point.