General Discussion: Black Lives Matter


Show original post
Sayword
Sayword avatar

5357 posts since 1/4/07

8 Jun 2020 16:37
jacko198 wrote:
Sayword wrote:
Mr.X. wrote: Your silence makes you complicit to the white privilege racism.
this applies to white people in general. If your not telling your "black friends" about your racist white friends, you are complicit.

What makes you think we all have racist white friends? You do realise that not every white person is racist right?
Roll Eyes because anti-black racism wouldn't exist if you and your racist friends, we're not racist.
edlo
edlo avatar

639 posts since 13/9/14

8 Jun 2020 16:44
jacko198 wrote: As a person of colour, can you go to school and university and get the education you want yes or no?

I am in no way of the opinion that racism exist, ofcorse it does, but the thought that every white person, be that police, government officials, or anybody else in the world is madness. The fact I haven't posted on my instagram about it, does that make me racist? Apparently so according to everyone on the internet!

pea brain
jacko198
jacko198 avatar

516 posts since 23/10/09

8 Jun 2020 16:51
DuffMan wrote:
jacko198 wrote:
joeyjojo wrote: Laughing out loud ‘ Life is what you make of it. ‘ fucking hell

Is it not? What is stopping anyone in this country from doing what they want? Just because someone is black doesn't mean they cant go to school, get a good education and do the job they want. The system is not the problem in the UK, unless you think that everybody is racist I cant see how you can think otherwise. Its on an individual level and not just a blanket statement

Shit like this is why these conversations are worth having even if your annoying mates are posting shit on instagram that they'll never actually do.

The system is rigged against those in poverty and without opportunities and BAME communities make up large proportions of those people. Then you add on that many systems of law, public services etc are stacked against those communities be that from an increased likelihood of say arrest, charge, case taken to court, sentencing etc etc through mandating someone to have ID to vote (significantly less likely in immigrant and minority communities).

It is clearly not the case that we all have the same opportunities in life, or that we will all be able to go so far without them. It's right to laud people who have great lives despite starting with nothing - but it's not right to say that people who start with nothing can just have a great life because they feel like it.

I don't really bother engaging with this stuff on FUK because it's not necessarily the place for serious discussion but come on.

Im not sure that being in poverty or being BAME stops opportunity. Surely you are given the same educational opportunities and until you leave university (or college etc) everybody is entitled to that, rich, poor, black, asian or white. Make of it what you will.

If there is an increased likelihood of arrest and conviction, surely there is a solution in not getting involved with crime? As mentioned 3x the amount of black people might get arrested (in wrong circumstances maybe) but the conviction rate is less than that of White, Asian or mixed ethnicities.

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/crime-justice-and-the-law/courts-sentencing-and-tribunals/prosecutions-and-convictions/latest

That is ofcorse in the country, I realise elsewhere in the world it might be different
Sayword
Sayword avatar

5357 posts since 1/4/07

posted 8 Jun 2020 16:56, edited 8 Jun 2020 16:56
People who use statistics in post, or topics, that are not statisticians, are always fucking stupid.
joeyjojo
joeyjojo avatar

4513 posts since 24/8/06

8 Jun 2020 16:56
jacko198 wrote:
joeyjojo wrote: No I’m asking you to explain why black people are 3x likely to be arrested, and likewise are disproportionate amount of black people in prison to. You’re saying society in UK treats all people the same, ‘life if what you make of it’ etc etc, then why is this the case ?

How am I to know why? Could it be because they are 3x more likely to commit crime or is it that the police are racist? Who knows!

Are you really this dumb?

So a) black people are inherently worse so commit more crime or b) there’s a problem with society that puts black people and people of colour in the situation which makes them commit crime.

I was asking which you think it is? If it’s b) your point about everything being fair, daffodils, fairies, butterflies is utter bollocks which I stated in my first post.
nothingelseworked
nothingelseworked avatar

3556 posts since 21/2/10

8 Jun 2020 16:58
jacko198 wrote: Im not sure that being in poverty or being BAME stops opportunity. Surely you are given the same educational opportunities and until you leave university (or college etc) everybody is entitled to that, rich, poor, black, asian or white. Make of it what you will.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46927417

jacko198
jacko198 avatar

516 posts since 23/10/09

8 Jun 2020 17:08
joeyjojo wrote:
jacko198 wrote:
joeyjojo wrote: No I’m asking you to explain why black people are 3x likely to be arrested, and likewise are disproportionate amount of black people in prison to. You’re saying society in UK treats all people the same, ‘life if what you make of it’ etc etc, then why is this the case ?

How am I to know why? Could it be because they are 3x more likely to commit crime or is it that the police are racist? Who knows!

Are you really this dumb?

So a) black people are inherently worse so commit more crime or b) there’s a problem with society that puts black people and people of colour in the situation which makes them commit crime.

I was asking which you think it is? If it’s b) your point about everything being fair, daffodils, fairies, butterflies is utter bollocks which I stated in my first post.

How can you put someone in a situation that makes them commit crime?
joeyjojo
joeyjojo avatar

4513 posts since 24/8/06

8 Jun 2020 17:10
Poverty, hardship, absolute inherent racism Laughing out loud
joeyjojo
joeyjojo avatar

4513 posts since 24/8/06

8 Jun 2020 17:15
So what you’re saying is there’s absolutely no societal affect as to why black people have a disproportionate representation in prison? its only because black people like to do bad things Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

He must be trolling
jacko198
jacko198 avatar

516 posts since 23/10/09

8 Jun 2020 17:28
joeyjojo wrote: So what you’re saying is there’s absolutely no societal affect as to why black people have a disproportionate representation in prison? its only because black people like to do bad things Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

He must be trolling

Again, not what I said. I don’t have an answer as to why there are 3x as many black people in prison. You tell me?
Being In poverty, hardship etc isn’t an excuse for committing crimes is it? If you don’t do bad things you don’t get arrested right? Or are you telling me they are only in prison because they are black?
There isn’t really anything out there saying who’s getting arrested for what. But I’m not sure that white people are just getting away with it whilst black people arent?

You can’t honestly be telling me that because you grow up in a poor family that you can’t get an education and get a job? And that you have to resort to crime?
EssexBoyII
EssexBoyII avatar

7061 posts since 5/6/07

8 Jun 2020 17:54
There is of course an element of systemic racism and a layer of ‘white privilege’ in the UK but the reason I hate the term white privilege is because it’s a term utterly lacking in nuance.

It places an undeserved weight on race as an indicator of success compared to say class which is the far more active catalyst.

And therein lies the issue of making in a blanket address to white people. The idea that an Instagram star who hasn’t had to do a days work in their life due to their immense privilege is telling someone locked in poverty in some white trash town all strung out on heroin due to big pharma with crumbling industries to ‘check their privledge’ shows a baffling amount of disconnect to me.

There is undoubtedly white privledge which is a single driver in a matrix of privledge in which it is not even the primary driver.
EssexBoyII
EssexBoyII avatar

7061 posts since 5/6/07

8 Jun 2020 17:55
I’m also disappointed in us all for being lured in to sad cunt X’s poor transparent troll Laughing out loud
Mr.X.
Mr.X. avatar

3069 posts since 23/6/13

posted 8 Jun 2020 18:28, edited 8 Jun 2020 18:28
I’m not baiting. I’m doing something constructive, you on the other hand aren’t admitting your white privilege and like so many try to excuse it. Why not admit it?

You are white and born into a society that is pro white and benefits whites over black people. The whole point of BLM is that white people do this first only then can we get change.
rural
rural avatar

17762 posts since 26/9/06

8 Jun 2020 18:36
Why not admit you are trolling
EssexBoyII
EssexBoyII avatar

7061 posts since 5/6/07

8 Jun 2020 18:38
Yeah the fact that you think this is worth the effort is proper embarrassing Martyn
Mr.X.
Mr.X. avatar

3069 posts since 23/6/13

8 Jun 2020 18:38
Is that not what you are doing with that question?
Mr.X.
Mr.X. avatar

3069 posts since 23/6/13

8 Jun 2020 18:39
Tony why don’t you admit it?
Mr.X.
Mr.X. avatar

3069 posts since 23/6/13

posted 8 Jun 2020 18:55, edited 8 Jun 2020 18:55
You don’t get it if you have to write this:

EssexBoyII wrote: And therein lies the issue of making in a blanket address to white people. The idea that an Instagram star who hasn’t had to do a days work in their life due to their immense privilege is telling someone locked in poverty in some white trash town all strung out on heroin due to big pharma with crumbling industries to ‘check their privledge’ shows a baffling amount of disconnect to me.

Pleased the same old characters trying to make it personal are reading the thread so that they can try understand what is meant by White Privilege.
DuffMan
DuffMan avatar

14389 posts since 21/2/07

posted 8 Jun 2020 19:37, edited 8 Jun 2020 19:37
EssexBoyII wrote: And therein lies the issue of making in a blanket address to white people. The idea that an Instagram star who hasn’t had to do a days work in their life due to their immense privilege is telling someone locked in poverty in some white trash town all strung out on heroin due to big pharma with crumbling industries to ‘check their privledge’ shows a baffling amount of disconnect to me.

JustinCredible
JustinCredible avatar

2665 posts since 11/6/08

8 Jun 2020 20:37
Mr X are you honestly genuinely not trolling?

You're on the precipice of being moved into the mil/fudge camp