General Discussion: buying shares


Show original post
Hello World
Hello World avatar

12174 posts since 7/3/05

7 Jun 2020 17:08
So the numbers are:
20k per year investment tax free returns, what sort of percentage? Compound etc but could go up and down. Could you actual live off the returns or pull the lot and dump into a pension?

Isn’t paying down an extra 20k on the mortgage the first option?

Or max 8 / 10 pre tax pension plus employer matching? The ideal is supposed to be 20%

Or saving up a BTL on a second property and someone else pays the rent so investing for free. Understand second home capital gains on the change.

I mean if you can afford to be saving 20k per year then loads of options open?
sydneyking
sydneyking avatar

5238 posts since 26/9/09

7 Jun 2020 17:43
Owning multiple properties is a massive bug bear of mine
Judgemelt
Judgemelt avatar

26 posts since 27/9/19

7 Jun 2020 17:56
Are people still trying to get rich of btl? That's dead in the water - if you're getting in now, you're years too late, and during a pandemic + recession Laughing out loud fine if you're a cash buyer and flipping. I'd put it in various trackers for the long term unless you're clued up on other physical assets to invest in.
swede
swede avatar

10532 posts since 21/3/09

7 Jun 2020 18:12
Ocin wrote: Will take a look at Cineworld as a recovery play tomorrow - could easily socially distance - I can’t remember the last time I was in a full cinema.

been shilled by investors chronicle for years now (weekly companies and markets podcast is great - would highly recommend to anyone interested in this sort of thing; currently suspended due to company announcements banned in uk). they had a great run and then loaded up on a bit too much debt trying to make it over the pond… hopefully it works out for them in the end too

in a similar vein and perhaps also for consideration, hollywood bowl shares had been accelerating last year… new board members (their finance guy is really sound and vocal on twitter apparently) and investing in setting up mini golf courses. people lapping it up
swede
swede avatar

10532 posts since 21/3/09

7 Jun 2020 18:24
jacko198 wrote: So Is Trading212 a good platform for doing individual company stocks, so investing in Apple or Tesla etc?

i was skeptical but given it a go and i do like it. ISA wrapper, low fees - whats not to like?… not got loads of stocks on there but most. i find the UI a bit confusing but haven't really given it much of a chance. can tell it's aimed at plebs though - tesla*/netflix shares take up the dashboard by default etc. its clearly been design to funnel you into trading leveraged products/CFDs (where they make their money)

*not knocking tesla investors either. wish I had put some money in last year when I realised how amazing UK govt EV company car incentives are (my dad just bought one at half price). just tend to avoid all those big individual US shares - but have exposure through some funds
Bails78
Bails78 avatar

768 posts since 6/1/08

7 Jun 2020 18:24
Swede do you work in finance, you seem to be really active on all things financial related.
swede
swede avatar

10532 posts since 21/3/09

posted 7 Jun 2020 18:35, edited 7 Jun 2020 18:35
no i work in pharma and do just genuinely find it all quite interesting. i'm not an expert at all but a few people in my family are and we discuss things from time to time. initially considered going into life sciences equity research and landed a role at a pharma M&A firm after my phd - but favoured my current role as felt it was a bit of a better fit…. unsure if it is too late to pursue that equity research avenue now though as wouldn't want to take a pay cut (do also quite like my current job)
Ocin
Ocin avatar

1421 posts since 4/6/04

posted 7 Jun 2020 18:57, edited 7 Jun 2020 18:57
seenmy wrote: thanks i think that's what i need initially rather than looking at individual trading

Ocin when you say financially independent is this also mortgage free? or just the idea that you have enough savings in principle to cover your yearly expenses for rest of your life by a certain point?

It doesn't have to mean mortgage free, but for me it hopefully will be. Plan is to renovate, live in and then flip 3 similar priced properties in the next 9 years, ending with our forever home. That, plus regular payments should see me chip away the mortgage debt. Some people doing FIRE rent though, everyone is different.

I've no interest in multiple properties / BTL, i've looked into it but it seems a massive ball ache plus the tax situation is much worse now than a few years ago. Does anyone on here do it profitably?

If you're interested in personal finance, check out the below flow chart, as well as this book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GPJD8L6/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr;=1




Swede - life sciences equity research sounds like an interesting career change #nowoodford
kid unknown
kid unknown avatar

5522 posts since 8/12/01

7 Jun 2020 18:59
I know someone who earns £150k+ pa and his wife is a doctor.

I don’t know if he is on this FIRE game but:

- He wears deodorant crusted white shirts that are fraying at the cuffs and cheap black shoes that would give you nightmares.

- Has same packed lunch every day (basic white bread with a ham square sandwich) and goes mad when we have any food laid on for meetings as if he hasn’t eaten for days.

Still have to live.
Ocin
Ocin avatar

1421 posts since 4/6/04

7 Jun 2020 19:06
Laughing out loud I know a few people like this, they go too far. One fella I work with is on the FIRE train and batch cooks the same 'nutritionally balanced' vegetable stew, portions then freezes and eats the same thing every day, all year. Like his own shit version of Huel.

Peregrine
Peregrine avatar

1013 posts since 17/6/09

7 Jun 2020 19:08
Ocin wrote:
seenmy wrote: thanks i think that's what i need initially rather than looking at individual trading

Ocin when you say financially independent is this also mortgage free? or just the idea that you have enough savings in principle to cover your yearly expenses for rest of your life by a certain point?

It doesn't have to mean mortgage free, but for me it hopefully will be. Plan is to renovate, live in and then flip 3 similar priced properties in the next 9 years, ending with our forever home. That, plus regular payments should see me chip away the mortgage debt. Some people doing FIRE rent though, everyone is different.

I've no interest in multiple properties / BTL, i've looked into it but it seems a massive ball ache plus the tax situation is much worse now than a few years ago. Does anyone on here do it profitably?

If you're interested in personal finance, check out the below flow chart, as well as this book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GPJD8L6/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr;=1




Swede - life sciences equity research sounds like an interesting career change #nowoodford

Good old UKPF (subreddit for those wanting to find out more).

Personally nowhere this point, only just started unscrewing my finances after many bad decisions in my 20s, but a good framework to follow.
swede
swede avatar

10532 posts since 21/3/09

posted 7 Jun 2020 19:22, edited 7 Jun 2020 19:22
kid unknown wrote: I know someone who earns £150k+ pa and his wife is a doctor.

I don’t know if he is on this FIRE game but:

- He wears deodorant crusted white shirts that are fraying at the cuffs and cheap black shoes that would give you nightmares.

- Has same packed lunch every day (basic white bread with a ham square sandwich) and goes mad when we have any food laid on for meetings as if he hasn’t eaten for days.

Still have to live.

Laughing out loud Ubercool each to their own. I could never and wouldn't ever tell anyone how to spend their money
swede
swede avatar

10532 posts since 21/3/09

posted 7 Jun 2020 19:24, edited 7 Jun 2020 19:24
UKPF is a great resource, i agree. think the majority of people on there are extremely frugal though and would be extremely shocked at some of the purchases here (read: £500 sunglasses crew) - so worth taking all the advice with a pinch of salt (ie you can survive off more than lentils)

think there is a dedicated FIRE subreddit too
themistake
themistake avatar

10870 posts since 20/2/06

7 Jun 2020 20:22
EssexBoyII wrote: Oil and airlines I imagine could be a good long term play. The thirst for holidays abroad will return tenfold

A mate told me to go in on IAG when they was at rock bottom, he’s already seen a fast rise and he wasn’t expecting anything for 12-18 months.
https://www.fool.co.uk/investing/2020/06/06/could-the-iag-and-easyjet-share-price-double-your-money/

Personally, I’m sticking with Football Index.
My projection would be over 100% ROI in two years time.
eazypz
eazypz avatar

3684 posts since 16/4/10

7 Jun 2020 20:36
Have seen the Football Index as well and want to give it a go.

How has it worked with the season currently being postponed?
MLI
MLI avatar

5173 posts since 6/10/09

posted 8 Jun 2020 00:03, edited 8 Jun 2020 00:03
Ocin wrote: Laughing out loud I know a few people like this, they go too far. One fella I work with is on the FIRE train and batch cooks the same 'nutritionally balanced' vegetable stew, portions then freezes and eats the same thing every day, all year. Like his own shit version of Huel.

Same, 90% of the time I reheat frozen batches. Have a tuna or peanut butter sandwich for lunch. I'm not someone who needs to be a gourmet snob every time I eat, sometimes food is just to stay alive. Got better things to spend my very limited money from my shit job on.

Maybe I should be 30, complain that I live with my parents (not an option actually) and spend $18 on a gourmet sandwich and artisan coffee every day like my fucktard colleague? He says he needs it, I say he could be saving like $80 a week if he brought his lunch.
freedom
freedom avatar

961 posts since 25/4/12

8 Jun 2020 07:47
kid unknown wrote: I know someone who earns £150k+ pa and his wife is a doctor.

I don’t know if he is on this FIRE game but:

- He wears deodorant crusted white shirts that are fraying at the cuffs and cheap black shoes that would give you nightmares.

- Has same packed lunch every day (basic white bread with a ham square sandwich) and goes mad when we have any food laid on for meetings as if he hasn’t eaten for days.

Still have to live.

literally despise cunts like this, I hope he gets hit by a bus. pure filth

I know cambridge grads that live in filth with comfortable jobs. i was looking for a room in London a year or two back so I went to check out the flat they had a spare room in. I simply could not believe how these people lived with such incomes. given, they are young professionals but they absolutely did not need to live like this.

everyones entitled to live life how they like whatever, but they'll skip exhibitions they want to see If it's 15 quid to get in? will you ever be able to see that again?

another friends parents are the sort, never holidayed abroad ect drove a Ford Focus for about 30 years. now ones diagnosed with a terminal illness and quite a young age. wouldn't you feel like an idiot? I know I would.

just do what you want.

rant over
swede
swede avatar

10532 posts since 21/3/09

posted 8 Jun 2020 09:56, edited 8 Jun 2020 09:56
swede wrote: considering buying cineworld too. Of course dyor

up 8.5% today Cry
Bails78
Bails78 avatar

768 posts since 6/1/08

8 Jun 2020 10:45
Hey apologies for the basic question but was does the term FIRE mean?
kid unknown
kid unknown avatar

5522 posts since 8/12/01

8 Jun 2020 11:28
Financial independence retire early.

Has to be a balance between £500 sunglasses and looking/eating/living like a tramp though.