Menswear: Common Projects


Show original post
dickey81
dickey81 avatar

142 posts since 1/6/05

5 Dec 2019 17:24
anyone tried these?
https://www.beckettsimonon.com/products/reid-sneakers
R
R avatar

13038 posts since 17/5/03

5 Dec 2019 18:20
the thing that common projects have, that no one else seems to be able to replicate, is the proportion of the shoe (and toe box). the ones above are so far off.
noface
noface avatar

123 posts since 23/9/09

5 Dec 2019 23:16
ismvil wrote:
noface wrote:
ismvil wrote:
noface wrote: Anyone ever added grips to CP military boots? Or replaced sole altogether?

afaik they're a storm welt so can be resoled.

Ok, cheers for reply. How do I know if storm welt? Mine are from a few years back now, it's the foam sole version

This is a good summary https://www.heddels.com/2014/04/know-welts-common-boot-welts/ but let's be real take 'em to a cobbler bro

Cheers for the link man, Yea will definitely take to the cobbler. Just need to get an idea of what kinda sole to replace it with I guess, coz it's a pretty slim boot so nothing too chunky but still needs to be military style just with proper grips.
Will have a look around and see
noface
noface avatar

123 posts since 23/9/09

10 Dec 2019 16:24
noface wrote:
ismvil wrote:
noface wrote:
ismvil wrote:
noface wrote: Anyone ever added grips to CP military boots? Or replaced sole altogether?

afaik they're a storm welt so can be resoled.

Ok, cheers for reply. How do I know if storm welt? Mine are from a few years back now, it's the foam sole version

This is a good summary https://www.heddels.com/2014/04/know-welts-common-boot-welts/ but let's be real take 'em to a cobbler bro

Cheers for the link man, Yea will definitely take to the cobbler. Just need to get an idea of what kinda sole to replace it with I guess, coz it's a pretty slim boot so nothing too chunky but still needs to be military style just with proper grips.
Will have a look around and see

Update- took em to a local cobbler and Timpsons, both said no to a re-sole. Anyone know any shoe repair online places worth a look?
joe6886
joe6886 avatar

854 posts since 16/11/08

10 Dec 2019 17:04
I messaged this fella about getting my Virgil’s resoled and he was helpful enough, if you look at his work he seems fairly clued up so I’d imagine if it’s possible he would be able to. Probably won’t be cheap though

https://www.felixjouanneau.com
noface
noface avatar

123 posts since 23/9/09

11 Dec 2019 14:55
joe6886 wrote: I messaged this fella about getting my Virgil’s resoled and he was helpful enough, if you look at his work he seems fairly clued up so I’d imagine if it’s possible he would be able to. Probably won’t be cheap though

https://www.felixjouanneau.com

Will drop him a message, thanks.
Sholto
Sholto avatar

566 posts since 25/12/12

16 Dec 2019 20:16
Bought some achilles about 3 years ago and they are knackered now, the upper by the ankle has ripped down to the midsole. No proof of purchase as ebay job - does anyone have any experience about sending them in to common projects for a repair/replacement?
illwill
illwill avatar

4017 posts since 17/5/04

16 Dec 2019 20:22
joe6886 wrote: I messaged this fella about getting my Virgil’s resoled and he was helpful enough, if you look at his work he seems fairly clued up so I’d imagine if it’s possible he would be able to. Probably won’t be cheap though

https://www.felixjouanneau.com

Any idea what this guy charges?
joe6886
joe6886 avatar

854 posts since 16/11/08

16 Dec 2019 20:39
“The price to do the drsole is £130 plus as they have curious outsole stitch detail I would need to do the outsole stitch by hand which will be £40 on top.”

This was what I was quoted for my Virgil’s plus p&p aswell.
noface
noface avatar

123 posts since 23/9/09

16 Dec 2019 22:38
illwill wrote:
joe6886 wrote: I messaged this fella about getting my Virgil’s resoled and he was helpful enough, if you look at his work he seems fairly clued up so I’d imagine if it’s possible he would be able to. Probably won’t be cheap though

https://www.felixjouanneau.com

Any idea what this guy charges?

Got quoted 140 for a dr sole replacement on my CP combat boots. Good comms well worth dropping him a message
shields88
shields88 avatar

464 posts since 25/5/11

16 Dec 2019 22:48
Sholto wrote: Bought some achilles about 3 years ago and they are knackered now, the upper by the ankle has ripped down to the midsole. No proof of purchase as ebay job - does anyone have any experience about sending them in to common projects for a repair/replacement?

Daft question but do you untie your laces each time you take the shoe off?
I had a pair that done this at the heel but it was because I never untied the lace I just thew my foot in there and eventually it all ripped.

I've bought other pairs since and its never happened to me since I started to untie my laces.
R
R avatar

13038 posts since 17/5/03

17 Dec 2019 00:59
nankid?
Fuzzyduck121
Fuzzyduck121 avatar

1605 posts since 14/12/12

17 Jan 2020 19:44
Anyone with experience of sizing on the resort classic
They look like a super high quality tennis shoe like a club C but well made
Do they have the squeak issue above also ?
Doogan
Doogan avatar

710 posts since 13/4/14

13 Apr 2020 20:29
I get blisters on my toes after wearing bballs for about 2hrs. They seem to fit ok overall and I'm sure a size up would be too big (I have Achilles that are a size up and they are too long). I'm trying to stretch them with shoe trees but probably have to accept CPs ain't for me.
mistamilan
mistamilan avatar

53 posts since 5/5/09

18 Apr 2020 13:15
Anyone seen or picked up the suitsupply white bball in this sale? Was hoping to pick up a backup pair
TheTiger
TheTiger avatar

3854 posts since 23/2/03

posted 19 Apr 2020 15:24, edited 19 Apr 2020 15:24
Doogan wrote: I get blisters on my toes after wearing bballs for about 2hrs. They seem to fit ok overall and I'm sure a size up would be too big (I have Achilles that are a size up and they are too long). I'm trying to stretch them with shoe trees but probably have to accept CPs ain't for me.

I have wide feet and unfortunately couldn’t get Achilles to fit no matter how much I tried. Ended up buying some BBalls (which I later sold) and for those I used a shoe stretcher and replaced the insoles, then after 4-5 days of non stop wear they eventually broke in and were fine (wearable, but still not comfortable). Sadly my feet are not made for CPs either Sad
Doogan
Doogan avatar

710 posts since 13/4/14

posted 19 Apr 2020 15:27, edited 19 Apr 2020 15:27
So annoying as the bballs are the correct length for but hurt my pinky toe after a couple hrs of wear - I'm trying the shoe trees again and will wear them for short periods to see if I can get them to work. Probably will have to try to sell them, though.

Edit - I've ordered some shoe stretchers and a spray from Amazon for £20. Lets see if that helps.

Tempted to try the Achilles copies from A day's march.
swede
swede avatar

8726 posts since 21/3/09

20 Apr 2020 18:18
what size are they doogan? i'm in the market
mistamilan
mistamilan avatar

53 posts since 5/5/09

20 Apr 2020 18:29
Same here, need uk9
Doogan
Doogan avatar

710 posts since 13/4/14

20 Apr 2020 18:41
Too small - size 40! I'm a UK8.