General Discussion: Cycling


Show original post
Rdes1974
Rdes1974 avatar

274 posts since 29/1/14

18 Jan 2018 10:57
Doogan wrote: I got my first road bike through a cycle to work scheme. It's a Boardman team carbon. I was finding the hybrid a bit slow/heavy and was itching to go out on longer rides.

did you try the boardman cyclecross?
Doogan
Doogan avatar

1131 posts since 13/4/14

posted 18 Jan 2018 12:20, edited 18 Jan 2018 12:20
Rdes1974 wrote:
Doogan wrote: I got my first road bike through a cycle to work scheme. It's a Boardman team carbon. I was finding the hybrid a bit slow/heavy and was itching to go out on longer rides.

did you try the boardman cyclecross?

Nah, just went for the Team Carbon based on the strength of it's reviews.

Anyone else made the jump from a hybrid to a road bike? I've only been for a quick spin but it's very different. Braking seems shite and it will take me a while to get used to the new riding position.
morgan
morgan avatar

1136 posts since 22/2/11

posted 18 Jan 2018 20:28, edited 18 Jan 2018 20:28
I hated it at first after MTB but I wouldn’t go back for anything. Love it now and look forward to going on long rides in wanky Rapha gear.
Boardman are reknown for skimping on components to keep cost down. Maybe upgrade the brakes. Mine are great in all weathers. Non disc.
Seventyfour
Seventyfour avatar

9432 posts since 6/10/05

18 Jan 2018 20:36
morgan wrote: I hated it at first after MTB but I wouldn’t go back for anything. Love it now and look forward to going on long rides in wanky Rapha gear.
Boardman are reknown for skimping on components to keep cost down. Maybe upgrade the brakes. Mine are great in all weathers. Non disc.

The Ultegra breaks on my road bike are as good as the hydraulic discs where on my hybrid! 105s are suposed to be decent for less money
Doogan
Doogan avatar

1131 posts since 13/4/14

posted 18 Jan 2018 22:15, edited 18 Jan 2018 22:15
morgan wrote: I hated it at first after MTB but I wouldn’t go back for anything. Love it now and look forward to going on long rides in wanky Rapha gear.
Boardman are reknown for skimping on components to keep cost down. Maybe upgrade the brakes. Mine are great in all weathers. Non disc.

Just ordered some Swissstop pads.

How did you get on with clipping your feet in? I've bought the pedals but will try to get used to the bike first before fitting them.
morgan
morgan avatar

1136 posts since 22/2/11

18 Jan 2018 22:29
I’ve not tried clips. I’m scared of falling sideways at traffic lights Laughing out loud

I’m into riding a lot but I think I’d feel a bit dickish in full TDF mode when I’m pretty much a leisure rider.
Just shifting weight of the gut keeps me happy.

I find my trainers or vans do the job. I might try clips when I go my LBS for a long due check up.
MLI
MLI avatar

5173 posts since 6/10/09

posted 19 Jan 2018 08:25, edited 19 Jan 2018 08:25
I'm finally getting a bike next month. Not going to wear any gay lycra shit. Denim Jorts and tees only.! protech classic (like the SEALS in '93) carabinered to my pack to keep the cops happy..
JustinCredible
JustinCredible avatar

2720 posts since 11/6/08

19 Jan 2018 09:01
Going from flat pedals to clip in pedals is the single most biggest difference you can make on a bike, both for handling (as you're connected to the bike) and performance, you'd be quicker on a £500 boardman roadbike with clip in pedals than a £10k pinarello with flat pedals.

When I started cycling again I was still playing football at a decent level and had a dodgy knee injury that wouldn't go away so was convinced using clip in pedals would trash my knee. Rode with trainers for about 6 months before being persuaded to go to the local bike shop to get a proper fitting for a pair of cycling shoes with clip in cleats & couldn't believe the difference it made.

Only takes a couple of rides and you get used to it & you can adjust the amount of torque needed to unclip if you are nervous.
swede
swede avatar

10143 posts since 21/3/09

posted 19 Jan 2018 10:28, edited 19 Jan 2018 10:28
JustinCredible wrote: Going from flat pedals to clip in pedals is the single most biggest difference you can make on a bike, both for handling (as you're connected to the bike) and performance, you'd be quicker on a £500 boardman roadbike with clip in pedals than a £10k pinarello with flat pedals.

this so much

I really cant tell if you are serious or not - morgan you have bought rapha gear but not cleats?

I commute in clipless pedals in jeans. they are just so good
MrW
MrW avatar

3080 posts since 1/8/11

19 Jan 2018 10:42
SPDs as first clips are great, has these
swede wrote:
JustinCredible wrote: Going from flat pedals to clip in pedals is the single most biggest difference you can make on a bike, both for handling (as you're connected to the bike) and performance, you'd be quicker on a £500 boardman roadbike with clip in pedals than a £10k pinarello with flat pedals.

this so much

+1.

Try SPDs as first clips, they're a bit easier to clip in & kick out to start with. You can get them flat one side so they're still rideable with normal shoes.
morgan
morgan avatar

1136 posts since 22/2/11

19 Jan 2018 11:32
Ok you’ve all convinced me.
Rapha GT shoes on sale too Smiling
Doogan
Doogan avatar

1131 posts since 13/4/14

19 Jan 2018 12:12
Cheers for the pointers. I got some SPD pedals for free, so can try them when I get used to the bike.

Tbh, I've only been out on it for 30mins but found the positioning and use of gears/brakes quite awkward. Weather permitting I'll get out for a few hours over the weekend.
swede
swede avatar

10143 posts since 21/3/09

19 Jan 2018 12:28
rapha shoes wont work with SPDs. only road style (look or spd-sl) attachment systems. lifeline pedals from wiggle are good although I am looking to give speedplays a go now
MrW
MrW avatar

3080 posts since 1/8/11

19 Jan 2018 13:47
What's the verdict on speedplays so far?
swede
swede avatar

10143 posts since 21/3/09

19 Jan 2018 13:59
I have heard really good things so eager to give them a go as have some spare money from selling my brooklyn. haven't actually bought any yet
Hanto
Hanto avatar

3286 posts since 30/11/09

posted 19 Jan 2018 14:10, edited 19 Jan 2018 14:10
morgan wrote: Ok you’ve all convinced me.
Rapha GT shoes on sale too Smiling

swede wrote: rapha shoes wont work with SPDs. only road style (look or spd-sl) attachment systems. lifeline pedals from wiggle are good although I am looking to give speedplays a go now

Could try these?

https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/cross-shoes/product/XSH02

Slightly different and size pending but I got Sigma to price match these and had them molded in store.

https://www.triuk.com/products/lake/lake-shoe-cx402-road-cfc#.WmH8Dahl-Uk

They are seriously comfortable. I am still getting used to the SPD-SL, especially leaving junctions, Eek so would definitely recommend SPDs if you are new to clipless.

The great thing with most bike retailers is that they price match, so don't limit yourself to a level of product if you can find a random retailer who are selling it cheaper.
morgan
morgan avatar

1136 posts since 22/2/11

19 Jan 2018 17:56
I have bought these.
https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/cross-shoes/product/XSH02XXBLK415

Can anyone point to pedals on Amazon to match?
I’ve no idea what to get.
morgan
morgan avatar

1136 posts since 22/2/11

19 Jan 2018 18:07
Shimano PDR540 SPD SL Sport Road Bike Cycling Clipless Pedals "WITH CLEATS" - BLACK https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AJK4XQS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_7oJyAbN1CHRH2

These ok for the cross shoes??
MrW
MrW avatar

3080 posts since 1/8/11

19 Jan 2018 18:51
Nope, those pedals are SPD-SL.

Look for SPD, if you want some for use without clips look for Shimano PD-A530 (can’t get link atm)

morgan
morgan avatar

1136 posts since 22/2/11

19 Jan 2018 19:27
Shimano PD-A530 Pedal Silver https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0014UG3WE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_UAKyAbEZG2FMV

Wouldn’t two sided be easier when starting off at lights etc??