General Discussion: Cycling


Show original post
Goldie
Goldie avatar

4725 posts since 17/10/07

24 Apr 2020 15:43
Paul88 wrote: Looking to buy a roadbike, been using a cannondale sl2 MTB but want something faster. Been cycling mostly cycle paths/roads roughly 20/30 mile distances.

Was looking at roughly 1k price range but could go a bit higher if the quality jumps up at a certain price point? Also watched a video on a self build with a no brand Chinese carbon frame as a bit of a project during this quarantine, but dunno if that's just asking for trouble.

Any ideas?

For a grand I would probably look at Decathlon or Merlin's own brand. Try and get the best "rotating parts" that you can for the money (wheels, groupset) and forget about getting some top name brand. You'll enjoy it a lot more if the bike works well.
mtthrvy2
mtthrvy2 avatar

1902 posts since 8/11/10

24 Apr 2020 16:01
£1200 usually gets you 105 equipped bike on discount and I think it is worth stretching if you can

105 is all you need on a bike, anything above is just bling/nice to have. 105 shares all the shifting technology etc as Ultegra & Dura Ace and the upgrades to Ultegra/Duraace are just weight savings or electronic shifting.

Below 105 is a bit more shit though

e.g

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/291/products/cannondale-caad12-105-road-bike-2019-purple.aspx
illwill
illwill avatar

4032 posts since 17/5/04

24 Apr 2020 17:54
That cannondale looks ace Cool
Goldie
Goldie avatar

4725 posts since 17/10/07

24 Apr 2020 17:58
Caad12 is a great bike
jacko198
jacko198 avatar

389 posts since 23/10/09

24 Apr 2020 18:05
Dolan L'Etape

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/l-etape-carbon-road/
Goldie
Goldie avatar

4725 posts since 17/10/07

24 Apr 2020 20:43
Anyone got Lake shoes?
Hanto
Hanto avatar

2253 posts since 30/11/09

24 Apr 2020 20:50
Goldie wrote: Anyone got Lake shoes?
I have a pair of CX402s. I got them at Sigma Sports so they could do the moulding in the shop. They are excellent, but the only issue is sizing. I have a foot half a size larger than the other, so one is slightly tighter than the other. Not that noticeable tbh.
swede
swede avatar

8844 posts since 21/3/09

24 Apr 2020 21:30
mtthrvy2 wrote: £1200 usually gets you 105 equipped bike on discount and I think it is worth stretching if you can

105 is all you need on a bike, anything above is just bling/nice to have. 105 shares all the shifting technology etc as Ultegra & Dura Ace and the upgrades to Ultegra/Duraace are just weight savings or electronic shifting.

Below 105 is a bit more shit though

e.g

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/291/products/cannondale-caad12-105-road-bike-2019-purple.aspx

Solid solid advice
Paul88
Paul88 avatar

278 posts since 6/12/12

24 Apr 2020 21:54
I like the cannondale. Is there much difference between it and the 2020 model https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale-caad-optimo-105-2020-road-bike-EV360805

Only difference I can see are the brakes and rims. When I googled the brakes they were roughly ultegra quality(one level higher than 105) and the rims were rs instead of the fulcrum on the 2019, which doesn't mean much to me. The 2020 is 119quid cheaper.

I'm more than happy to buy the 2019 version that goldie posted just wanted to check before I pull the trigger.
Seventyfour
Seventyfour avatar

8989 posts since 6/10/05

24 Apr 2020 23:28
You can get the Canyon endurace Al for £999 which as full 105 depending on size you might have to wait a bit though. Ribble also worth a look!

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road-bikes/endurance-bikes/endurace/endurace-al-7.0/2392.html
Fläsket
Fläsket avatar

3751 posts since 14/8/04

25 Apr 2020 00:53
MLI wrote: Been enjoying my shitmobile on my 20 minute commute. Been outrunning public servants on $5000 bikes, who also wear gay lycra and gay helmets, pretty regulary Cool
That's what it's all about Cool I do similar to folks with my ss mountain bike and hiking boots on the longer hills.

swede wrote:
mtthrvy2 wrote: £1200 usually gets you 105 equipped bike on discount and I think it is worth stretching if you can

105 is all you need on a bike, anything above is just bling/nice to have. 105 shares all the shifting technology etc as Ultegra & Dura Ace and the upgrades to Ultegra/Duraace are just weight savings or electronic shifting.

Below 105 is a bit more shit though

e.g

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/291/products/cannondale-caad12-105-road-bike-2019-purple.aspx

Solid solid advice
Aye, I heard this as well when I was choosing gear for a shifter bike. (Went with the Sram Rival equivalent in the end)
Fläsket
Fläsket avatar

3751 posts since 14/8/04

25 Apr 2020 01:30
Seventyfour wrote: Ribble also worth a look!
Ribble like a fucking eel
Ribble like a fucking eel Ribble like a fucking eel
Ribble like a fucking eel
Yeah Ribble Cool

Goldie
Goldie avatar

4725 posts since 17/10/07

25 Apr 2020 11:02
Is Ultegra just a "nice-to-have" nowadays? I know there is a weight saving but only by <200g. Mechanically is 105 on a par? Looking at new bikes there's around £7/800 difference between 105 and Ultegra equipped. Better to save there and put the money towards dem sweet 50mm carbons rims?
Goldie
Goldie avatar

4725 posts since 17/10/07

25 Apr 2020 11:03
Should add that my current bike is 2012 Sora group so anything is gonna be a step up
mtthrvy2
mtthrvy2 avatar

1902 posts since 8/11/10

25 Apr 2020 14:00
Paul88 wrote: I like the cannondale. Is there much difference between it and the 2020 model https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale-caad-optimo-105-2020-road-bike-EV360805

Only difference I can see are the brakes and rims. When I googled the brakes they were roughly ultegra quality(one level higher than 105) and the rims were rs instead of the fulcrum on the 2019, which doesn't mean much to me. The 2020 is 119quid cheaper.

I'm more than happy to buy the 2019 version that goldie posted just wanted to check before I pull the trigger.

thats a different bike, looks ok for price but buy a caad10 or caad12 on discount or buy a canyon
quest
quest avatar

3517 posts since 11/7/11

posted 25 Apr 2020 14:57, edited 25 Apr 2020 14:57
has anyone had experience with Chinese carbon frames, hongfu, dengfu etc?? anything to avoid or look out for, in terms of road disc frame

edit I’m looking at this fm088 frame

http://www.hongfu-bikes.com/html_products/Road_Frame/Disc_Brake_Road_Frame/2018/0227/502.html

Goldie
Goldie avatar

4725 posts since 17/10/07

25 Apr 2020 15:04
quest wrote: has anyone had experience with Chinese carbon frames, hongfu, dengfu etc?? anything to avoid or look out for, in terms of road disc frame
Have a look in here mate, loads of people sharing their experiences/builds.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t;=113717
quest
quest avatar

3517 posts since 11/7/11

25 Apr 2020 15:14
nice one goldie!
Robadob
Robadob avatar

1478 posts since 29/12/04

25 Apr 2020 15:24
quest wrote:
My first bike was a Hong-Fu FM066. It was bang on for the money, although I made the mistake of going BB30, which is a piece of shit bottom bracket standard.

@swede has had one as well, although not sure of the model.
quest
quest avatar

3517 posts since 11/7/11

25 Apr 2020 20:41
cheers rob. for the price I went for it (hopefully it turns up fairly soon).