General Discussion: Cycling


Show original post
Goldie
Goldie avatar

4713 posts since 17/10/07

27 May 2020 09:41
darko wrote:
Goldie wrote: Also, what's the deal with Hambini, is he having to re-edit old videos cos of the sexism bullshit?

have just discovered hambini's videos as I'm in the process of buying a new bike, he's putting me off pretty much every brand I was looking at. I just sold my 2013 cervelo R3 and was looking at a cervelo s series or a one of the new cannondale's to replace but he absolutely rinses them both Laughing out loud (both BB related)

I don't know why I didn't click what an awful time it is to buy a new bike at the moment Roll Eyes load of shops sold out because mamil's are buying 4/5k bikes to 'try out the sport' and the second-hand market is pretty shit too (unless you want a giant propel). I guess the floor will drop out of the used market after the summer.
Word. Had been looking at previous model Supersix Evo's but not anymore Laughing out loud
If I had a pound for every Propel I saw Roll Eyes
swede
swede avatar

8729 posts since 21/3/09

posted 27 May 2020 09:48, edited 27 May 2020 09:48
Get a TCR. absolutely love mine - very very quick. even considering in investing in a paintjob





Goldie
Goldie avatar

4713 posts since 17/10/07

27 May 2020 11:10
Yeah that is the way I am leaning at the moment. What size/weight is yours Swede? I think we are similar height IIRC
swiftus
swiftus avatar

1080 posts since 1/7/09

27 May 2020 11:38
Goldie wrote:
darko wrote:
Goldie wrote: Also, what's the deal with Hambini, is he having to re-edit old videos cos of the sexism bullshit?

have just discovered hambini's videos as I'm in the process of buying a new bike, he's putting me off pretty much every brand I was looking at. I just sold my 2013 cervelo R3 and was looking at a cervelo s series or a one of the new cannondale's to replace but he absolutely rinses them both Laughing out loud (both BB related)

I don't know why I didn't click what an awful time it is to buy a new bike at the moment Roll Eyes load of shops sold out because mamil's are buying 4/5k bikes to 'try out the sport' and the second-hand market is pretty shit too (unless you want a giant propel). I guess the floor will drop out of the used market after the summer.
Word. Had been looking at previous model Supersix Evo's but not anymore Laughing out loud
If I had a pound for every Propel I saw Roll Eyes

Doesn't he trash every brand (except Look)?
darko
darko avatar

964 posts since 4/10/12

posted 27 May 2020 11:49, edited 27 May 2020 11:49
^ and Giant, Time and the Chinese AliExpress brands, but yes other than that he pretty much shits on everyone who doesn't produce their own frames, usually in relation to manufacturing tolerances and carbon layup etc

@ swede what spec is your one? from following you on strava fairly certain you'd be quick even on a slab of concrete Laughing out loud

that frame is nice but in general I find giants pretty boring looking, what colour were you going to get it sprayed?

have deliberated over bikes for weeks on end now and still haven't come any closer to purchasing one, I am not the quickest and I don't really need an amazing spec but it's nice to have nice things and aesthetics are deffo part of that
Lucas82
Lucas82 avatar

458 posts since 26/10/09

27 May 2020 12:05
swede wrote: Get a TCR. absolutely love mine - very very quick. even considering in investing in a paintjob



Lovely bike, Swede. Christ, your avg Speed - done well there!

I sold my Scott CR1 and brought this yesterday.

https://www.triuk.com/Triathlon-Bikes/Cannondale/SuperSix-EVO-Hi_Mod-Disc-Ultegra-Replica-2020/307870



swede
swede avatar

8729 posts since 21/3/09

27 May 2020 12:52
Goldie wrote: Yeah that is the way I am leaning at the moment. What size/weight is yours Swede? I think we are similar height IIRC

its a size 58 and I am 6ft 3. a lot of post showing;


this is the spec on mine. this year's have way nicer colourways ffs

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/tcr-advanced-pro-disc-frameset-2019

unsure on the weight but its very light for a disc frame. but stiff exactly where you want it. thru axle makes such a big difference to someone like me (86kg)
swede
swede avatar

8729 posts since 21/3/09

27 May 2020 12:55
darko wrote: ^ and Giant, Time and the Chinese AliExpress brands, but yes other than that he pretty much shits on everyone who doesn't produce their own frames, usually in relation to manufacturing tolerances and carbon layup etc

@ swede what spec is your one? from following you on strava fairly certain you'd be quick even on a slab of concrete Laughing out loud

that frame is nice but in general I find giants pretty boring looking, what colour were you going to get it sprayed?

have deliberated over bikes for weeks on end now and still haven't come any closer to purchasing one, I am not the quickest and I don't really need an amazing spec but it's nice to have nice things and aesthetics are deffo part of that

I agree as a brand they are extremely boring. but I was so fed up with dodgy cervelo RS, creaky cannondale and just wanted something that worked and rode well. giant are just hugely reputable and have had tonnes of research go into their bikes and it just ticked all the boxes for me. got a great deal on it too - which helps

dont know about colour - need to research that further
sodomgomorra
sodomgomorra avatar

1539 posts since 24/3/14

posted 27 May 2020 15:40, edited 27 May 2020 15:40


I thought thru axles were a meme.
DuffMan
DuffMan avatar

14375 posts since 21/2/07

27 May 2020 18:46
I'm quite tempted to cop a giant on ride 2 work - our limit has been upped to £4k Laughing out loud
Scottishmark
Scottishmark avatar

609 posts since 25/1/11

27 May 2020 19:14
I’ve barely cycled a bike since I was 14. But I’m very keen to get something in the not too distant future.

Main use would be a 50km round trip to work and back along a canal path. I’m thinking a gravel bike would suit my needs. I really like the Canyon Grail AL 7.0 (https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road-bikes/gravel-bikes/grail/grail-al-7.0/2370.html) but I’m entirely open to suggestion. Flexible on price point to an extent… anyone care to chip in?

Paul88
Paul88 avatar

272 posts since 6/12/12

posted 28 May 2020 08:06, edited 28 May 2020 08:06
Got the aldi stand previously mentioned. Seems pretty sturdy and good for 20quid. Theyve also got a load of muc off oil and cleaner.

https://imgur.com/a/6Nrg4Ac
darko
darko avatar

964 posts since 4/10/12

28 May 2020 08:32
DuffMan wrote: I'm quite tempted to cop a giant on ride 2 work - our limit has been upped to £4k Laughing out loud

serious commuting machine Cool

I did the scheme a few years ago over 12 months but it could've worked out pretty badly for me. even though I finished payments and had contributed 2/3 of the bike's worth (£600 odd on a £1000 bike - Orro Terra Gravel) my employer technically still owned the bike for a number of years after it, and in theory if I wanted to purchase it (e.g to sell) there was an (ever depreciating) cost for the bike.

Thankfully we came to an arrangement and they let me sell it, but just something to be aware of in terms of checking the small print
swede
swede avatar

8729 posts since 21/3/09

28 May 2020 09:01
DuffMan wrote: I'm quite tempted to cop a giant on ride 2 work - our limit has been upped to £4k Laughing out loud

copped most of my groupset plus tyres and other bits on cyclescheme. so good. our spending limit has also been upped and im also eligible to 40% off now too - so very tempted by a new mtb. full sus! trying to sort a lock-up atm as not enough space to keep a mtb at current place (without pissing off the mrs)
generic_guy
generic_guy avatar

9439 posts since 16/9/02

28 May 2020 09:03
Anyway going for the Supreme x Castelli gear today?
Bails78
Bails78 avatar

641 posts since 6/1/08

posted 28 May 2020 12:52, edited 28 May 2020 12:52
Longshot but does anyone have an old bike they no longer want that they fancy giving away or for a small fee? London area preferably
Brenner
Brenner avatar

149 posts since 25/11/11

28 May 2020 15:04
Best way to clean cycling shoes? Will washing machine do anything for grease marks?
mtthrvy2
mtthrvy2 avatar

1895 posts since 8/11/10

28 May 2020 15:33
Brenner wrote: Best way to clean cycling shoes? Will washing machine do anything for grease marks?

not sure but will probably fuck whatever is holding the sole together

@swede, lovely bike. I really like Giants aesthetics, clean and simple, not really much to hate. Not really a fan of bikes like the specialized venge which look like the super car of the bike world
swede
swede avatar

8729 posts since 21/3/09

28 May 2020 15:55
what are the cycling shoe of choice at the moment? over my giro empires tbh - bit knackered now and never found them that comfy.. lacing system is also crap
Hanto
Hanto avatar

2209 posts since 30/11/09

28 May 2020 16:12
swede wrote: what are the cycling shoe of choice at the moment? over my giro empires tbh - bit knackered now and never found them that comfy.. lacing system is also crap

I have Lake CX402s and they are excellent. I did get them a good amount below retail and had them heat moulded by Sigma instore. They use a Boa system I think.