General Discussion: Cycling


Show original post
fan
fan avatar

3948 posts since 11/2/07

15 May 2008 17:31
i love riding my bike (or now my dads cos mine got nicked). do about 60-70 miles a week, lovely route as well. someone hit me (extremely lightly, but still) this morning and dint even notice after making contact, couldnt believe it!
Hello World
Hello World avatar

12136 posts since 7/3/05

17 May 2008 21:12
That planet x £999 all carbon deal is getting good reviews and the riding position is not that aggressive which would suit me.

I'm going to borrow my friend from works road bike just to test drive one. if i have no problems going to give it a go next month.






MB
MB avatar

4346 posts since 27/9/05

9 Sep 2008 11:40
Bike headz can someone help pick me a bike please upto £600 to ride to work on (no fixed gear hypebeast) from here http://www.evanscycles.com/
andymakesglasses
andymakesglasses avatar

20393 posts since 26/1/06

9 Sep 2008 11:52
are you ever likely to use it off-road, or purely for riding to work?

do you want a road bike (what we used to call racers Laughing out loud) or a hybrid (chunkier construction than a road bike, but not a true off-roader)
MrPlatinum
MrPlatinum avatar

8939 posts since 24/2/04

9 Sep 2008 11:53
mase wrote: Bike headz can someone help pick me a bike please upto £600 to ride to work on (no fixed gear hypebeast) from here http://www.evanscycles.com/

I thought you just bought a moped, or is that just for looking at?
guffer
guffer avatar

8474 posts since 28/5/04

9 Sep 2008 11:58
i have this one (so does DDD):

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bianchi/c2c-via-nirone-7-alu-xenon-10-sp-mix-compact-2007-road-bike-ec014621

its great, out of stock though Sad
james007
james007 avatar

143 posts since 30/6/06

9 Sep 2008 11:58
For that money you will not find much better than the Ribble 7005 Winter training bike, it comes with various groupsets but there is a campagnolo equipped one for £599. I have had one of these for my winter training bike for 4 years and they are bullet proof, they also come with mudguards. See here

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/SpecialEditionBikes.asp

It is the Ribble 7005 Winter Training/Audax Veloce Silver 10 you want. Possible go for a compact chanset if you live in a hilly area.

Obviously this would only be any good for riding on the road. Is the reason you have to use Evans is for the Cycle to Work Scheme?? If so, I understand that you can use other stores if work give permission and Halfords can order virtually any bike from anywhere!
MB
MB avatar

4346 posts since 27/9/05

9 Sep 2008 12:10
MrPlatinum wrote:
mase wrote: Bike headz can someone help pick me a bike please upto £600 to ride to work on (no fixed gear hypebeast) from here http://www.evanscycles.com/

I thought you just bought a moped, or is that just for looking at?

i have but i fancy cycling to work Laughing out loud

cheers for your help people
berk
berk avatar

2118 posts since 24/3/08

9 Sep 2008 12:28
your house to canary wharf Jawdropping!

you pleb Laughing out loud
ala*
ala* avatar

3001 posts since 20/2/03

9 Sep 2008 16:11
i just got one of these:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/charge/plug-2008-road-bike-ec000233

it's got a fixed and a freewheel cog on the back wheel so you can try the fixed thing or can use it as a single speed..

i've done both so far and have liked them both..

you really don't need gears to commute in london - it's faster without them with all the traffic lights and stopping and starting

and it's less to go wrong / maintain and there are fewer expensive components to replace..

otherwise i'd just go for a hybrid, like:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/bad-boy-single-2008-hybrid-bike-ec000109

is pretty sweet and the lefty fork is awesome
Protege Moi
Protege Moi avatar

5460 posts since 15/11/02

9 Sep 2008 16:40
If your in the market for a hardtail mountain bike with a £600 budget i'd recommend a Kona. A 09 Hoss should be in budget or go for a 08 Cinder Cone.

To be honest for a commuting machine you shouldn't need to spend above £400.
andymakesglasses
andymakesglasses avatar

20393 posts since 26/1/06

9 Sep 2008 16:46
for a t-shirt you shouldn't need to spend more than a tenner (or two for a tenner from Topman), but that's not really the point is it? Eye-wink
haz
haz avatar

4334 posts since 7/1/04

9 Sep 2008 17:56
is someone deleting my posts…particularly the one about the possible Lance armstrong comeback
andymakesglasses
andymakesglasses avatar

20393 posts since 26/1/06

9 Sep 2008 19:00
you mean this one you paranoid tit? Laughing out loud

http://www.fuk.co.uk/threads/random_general?page=519
haz
haz avatar

4334 posts since 7/1/04

9 Sep 2008 19:01
Yeah. God I'm losing it.. first cowboy boots and now this!
hcp
hcp avatar

386 posts since 22/11/06

9 Sep 2008 19:04
mase wrote: Bike headz can someone help pick me a bike please upto £600 to ride to work on (no fixed gear hypebeast) from here http://www.evanscycles.com/

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/1400-double-2007-road-bike-ec014888

I have an older version of this, would recommend it a lot.
hcp
hcp avatar

386 posts since 22/11/06

9 Sep 2008 19:06
james007 wrote: For that money you will not find much better than the Ribble 7005 Winter training bike, it comes with various groupsets but there is a campagnolo equipped one for £599. I have had one of these for my winter training bike for 4 years and they are bullet proof, they also come with mudguards. See here

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/SpecialEditionBikes.asp

It is the Ribble 7005 Winter Training/Audax Veloce Silver 10 you want. Possible go for a compact chanset if you live in a hilly area.

Obviously this would only be any good for riding on the road. Is the reason you have to use Evans is for the Cycle to Work Scheme?? If so, I understand that you can use other stores if work give permission and Halfords can order virtually any bike from anywhere!

wouldn't buy a bike from Halfords mate! Ribble cycles is a decent store the staff know their stuff.
james007
james007 avatar

143 posts since 30/6/06

9 Sep 2008 19:13
I was not suggesting buying a Halfords bike from Halfords. I was suggesting buying the Ribble from there if he wants to do this under the Cycle to work scheme as they would order it from Ribble.
moog
moog avatar

577 posts since 18/3/07

9 Sep 2008 19:40
Have a quick search for ribble on some bike forums, a lot of negative feedback about them.
james007
james007 avatar

143 posts since 30/6/06

9 Sep 2008 19:44
Ribble themselves seem to come in for some stick, however, the bikes they produce are exceelent for the money.