General Discussion: EURO 2016

Show original post
marley
marley avatar

455 posts since 17/3/14

29 Jun 2016 10:35
[quote=Wilshire sub at half time was bemusing given how poor his performance has been.

APROO wrote: Rooney was no worse than anyone else and his goals did get us there, we need a Conte.

funny that the only one who could give and recive under pressure in mid ,
Razorlight123
Razorlight123 avatar

4606 posts since 13/1/10

29 Jun 2016 10:52
carl lewis wrote:
caol87 wrote:
RickRude wrote: Klinsmann?

Just now on Sky Sports news, Klinsmann would be 'intrigued' about the possibility of managing England, good shout RickRude

Which really means 'Ill be happy living in London, on a very good salary, attended any game I like in England and just get the team to a quarters in Russia'

I'm gonna put it out there lads…

Lars Lagerback

Trent
Trent avatar

1948 posts since 18/1/09

29 Jun 2016 12:57
Anyone says that Rooney shouldn't have gone and/or not started has quite clearly could not even have got a game for their own school team.

Granted. Poor game against Iceland but the rest of the time, he controls the tempo of the team. Not because he is told to do so, it's because he is the only one there with the ability to do so.
seenmy
seenmy avatar

6576 posts since 17/6/06

29 Jun 2016 13:05
I dont disagree with his value in this squad,what I think though is if you look at the future of this group in say a 6 year term, his time is up, and due to his massive presence in the english game I think if he stepped away at this point it would have a positive impact in the long term development of this group who are on paper a very promising group.
Mr.X.
Mr.X. avatar

2933 posts since 23/6/13

29 Jun 2016 13:21
Yeah, 5 years ago.

Trent wrote: Granted. Poor game against Iceland but the rest of the time, he controls the tempo of the team. Not because he is told to do so, it's because he is the only one there with the ability to do so.
Trent
Trent avatar

1948 posts since 18/1/09

29 Jun 2016 13:26
I'm unsure how I feel about that Seenmy, agreed as he hits 34 but as for the next tournament I don't think we have the quality to replace him. It is only this season that he has moved back into the deeper role for country and that was on the back of a purple patch of in-form strikers.

The options following this tournament are no different that I can see in midfield. Other options - Delph (hmm), Drinkwater (not good enough), Noble (hmm). You talk sense, you can see that. It would have been nice to see Alli push behind the front two, where he is comfortable. Barkley needs to come good. When we see that then maybe we can move on from Rooney.
Trent
Trent avatar

1948 posts since 18/1/09

29 Jun 2016 13:33
Ah, there's a reason I stay out of the football chat. It's opinions. 5 years ago Rooney held the tempo from the forward line? Tempo is held from midfield. And it has fuck all to do with having pace or ability to get up and down really.

Mr.X. wrote: Yeah, 5 years ago.

Trent wrote: Granted. Poor game against Iceland but the rest of the time, he controls the tempo of the team. Not because he is told to do so, it's because he is the only one there with the ability to do so.
OnlyOneStop
OnlyOneStop avatar

2853 posts since 3/8/08

29 Jun 2016 14:56
By crowbarring Rooney into the lineup they had to play several players out of position - his influence is not positive. He needs to retire so we can move on.
adidaskev
adidaskev avatar

1001 posts since 30/11/11

29 Jun 2016 15:35
OnlyOneStop wrote: By crowbarring Rooney into the lineup they had to play several players out of position - his influence is not positive. He needs to retire so we can move on.

Who plays out of place because Rooney plays CM? Has Rooney became the scapegoat of this laughable team? How his experience at the highest level can't help the younger lads like Alii and Dier is beyond me.

Trent speaking sense.
MuayThaiPimp
MuayThaiPimp avatar

7925 posts since 10/8/11

29 Jun 2016 15:47
Razorlight123 wrote:
carl lewis wrote:
caol87 wrote:
RickRude wrote: Klinsmann?

Just now on Sky Sports news, Klinsmann would be 'intrigued' about the possibility of managing England, good shout RickRude

Which really means 'Ill be happy living in London, on a very good salary, attended any game I like in England and just get the team to a quarters in Russia'

I'm gonna put it out there lads…

Lars Lagerback

LOL the disappointment when southgate is announced
Mr.X.
Mr.X. avatar

2933 posts since 23/6/13

posted 29 Jun 2016 17:23, edited 29 Jun 2016 17:23
Trent is obviously a United supporter. Micheal Carrick could have done a better job…
RickRude
RickRude avatar

3380 posts since 13/1/12

29 Jun 2016 20:13
What the same Carrick who only plays a sideways pass? How many assists has Carrick had in 5 years?. What would he have done exactly? Passed it to Alli or Sterling? Of course Rooney is going to get blamed, he's our captain - but without him we still would of done shit.
smith
smith avatar

10903 posts since 5/5/04

30 Jun 2016 08:16
Off to Marseille now. Although we are all still hungover from Monday night and might just sell our tickets if the offers good. It's bloody hot and all I want to do is jump in the med.
Trent
Trent avatar

1948 posts since 18/1/09

30 Jun 2016 13:15
OnlyOneStop wrote: By crowbarring Rooney into the lineup they had to play several players out of position - his influence is not positive. He needs to retire so we can move on.

Drop Rooney for who? Wilshere? Henderson?

If anything, we haven't enough quality in the back 3 of a 4-3-3. Hence Alli out of position and ineffective. In my opinion, the best we could have hoped for was 4 3 1 2, in which Alli played in the hole (Barkley if unavailable or rested). That only outlines the need to play Rooney as other than that it was Hendo or Wilshere. Frightening in itself.
seenmy
seenmy avatar

6576 posts since 17/6/06

30 Jun 2016 13:21
off to germany v italy on sat looking forward to it
carl lewis
carl lewis avatar

23924 posts since 14/10/04

30 Jun 2016 19:29
Southgate has bottled the England job like Boris.
smith
smith avatar

10903 posts since 5/5/04

1 Jul 2016 13:28
Our train to the game hit a cow on the line and after a 4 hour delay with no air conditioning we just made the game which was fucking awful. Supposed to be on way to Lille now for Belgium game but sacked it off. I'm done with the Euros.
Fläsket
Fläsket avatar

3725 posts since 14/8/04

1 Jul 2016 19:33
i don't blame you at all mate.

however if i was in paris and had a seat at the italy germany game like seenmy, i'd pack up a little pain, vin and some borsin and have a nice little picnic on a climate controlled tgv to bordeux..

feeling this wales belgium game Ubercool
JustinCredible
JustinCredible avatar

2583 posts since 11/6/08

1 Jul 2016 20:34
Carrick should have played for England for years, exactly the type of player you need at international level and possesses the very attributes England's midfield sorely lacked when we lost to Iceland - the ability to receive a pass, take a touch and find a teammate without losing the ball.

This Wales match is a cracking game, end to end stuff
JustinCredible
JustinCredible avatar

2583 posts since 11/6/08

1 Jul 2016 20:40
Wales getting away with all sorts here, ref has had Belgiums pants down