General Discussion: EURO 2020

Show original post
smith
smith avatar

11371 posts since 5/5/04

12 Jul 2021 11:48
It's a really weird feeling. I'm absolutely gutted we lost in what was probably our greatest opportunity to see England win the big prize in my lifetime. The other part of me takes pleasure in knowing that a lot of absolutely scummy English people didn't get to enjoy that winning feeling and pride my dad experienced at Wembley in '66. Very much a Catch 22 scenario.

England is very much broken and last night exposed the ugly truth.
Razorlight123
Razorlight123 avatar

4970 posts since 13/1/10

posted 12 Jul 2021 11:53, edited 12 Jul 2021 11:53
fudge.dredd wrote: If you watch the video there’s a huge gulp from him. He didn’t want it and fair play to him, he’s young and inexperienced.

But Shaw, Jelly leg Sterling, Grealish, Stones could all have been picked first.

Sterling deffo went missing when it came to looking for takers. If you buy that crap that it was all down to ‘training’ then I’ve got a bridge to sell you. Laughing out loud

Sterling can't take a first 5 pen for England though, the risk is just too high. It's not worth the aggro.

smith wrote: It's a really weird feeling. I'm absolutely gutted we lost in what was probably our greatest opportunity to see England win the big prize in my lifetime. The other part of me takes pleasure in knowing that a lot of absolutely scummy English people didn't get to enjoy that winning feeling and pride my dad experienced at Wembley in '66. Very much a Catch 22 scenario.

It's a combination of societal issues man; Entitlement, drugs and alcohol abuse, poor governance etc etc

People in '66 had it hard but you would never see them acting like they did yesterday. I've heard of countless anecdotes of families going to Wembley yesterday, and their children were scared shitless
eazypz
eazypz avatar

3359 posts since 16/4/10

12 Jul 2021 11:59
smith wrote: It's a really weird feeling. I'm absolutely gutted we lost in what was probably our greatest opportunity to see England win the big prize in my lifetime. The other part of me takes pleasure in knowing that a lot of absolutely scummy English people didn't get to enjoy that winning feeling and pride my dad experienced at Wembley in '66. Very much a Catch 22 scenario.

Pretty much my exact same feelings.

England took the foot off the gas after the first 20 mins and thought they’d skate by on 1-0.
Whenever England have been on the front foot they look dangerous, I can only assume they were told to counter only.
fudge.dredd
fudge.dredd avatar

1682 posts since 15/12/12

12 Jul 2021 12:18
I managed to make it to both semi finals. But the missus and her brother were in the Danish end (naturally) for the England match and were abused terribly on their way out after.

Wouldn’t have believed it still happens. The Danes at the game were only ones that live in the UK so even they had mixed loyalties.

Shame. But yes I agree with the sentiment that I probably didn’t want England to win entirely as the fans are on another level compared with other countries.
fudge.dredd
fudge.dredd avatar

12 Jul 2021 12:21
Anyway, for now I’ll enjoy my views and not be consumed by the all the media crap back in UK.

Enjoy!

Kadafi39
Kadafi39 avatar

1987 posts since 30/10/09

12 Jul 2021 12:28

These are my thoughts too, but in reality we have a small minority of hooligans who, win or lose, would have mindlessly smashed things up and caused damage anyway.
RickRude
RickRude avatar

3890 posts since 13/1/12

12 Jul 2021 13:04
English fans are embarrassing - see some video of a lad doing a line on someone’s shoulders in the middle of Leicester Square to a crowd - sums it up really.
Hanto
Hanto avatar

3123 posts since 30/11/09

12 Jul 2021 13:05
It's the booing of the national anthems that does it for me. At least respect your opponent; it's not just a team, its a country that you're insulting.
swiftus
swiftus avatar

1499 posts since 1/7/09

12 Jul 2021 13:22
Hanto wrote: It's the booing of the national anthems that does it for me. At least respect your opponent; it's not just a team, its a country that you're insulting.

Yeah, this gets me every time. I keep thinking the newer generation of fans won't be as bad as the older lot, but it never changes. Fucking embarrassing. Got sent a video of guy upside down with a flare in his arse. FFS.
snaye
snaye avatar

10936 posts since 24/10/02

posted 12 Jul 2021 13:26, edited 12 Jul 2021 13:26
swiftus wrote: Got sent a video of guy upside down with a flare in his arse. FFS.

Noble?
joeyjojo
joeyjojo avatar

4616 posts since 24/8/06

12 Jul 2021 14:00
Are fans like that in other countries and we just don’t see the videos?
The guy doing lines on someone’s shoulders and the flare one don’t annoy me at all, I guess they’re in the ‘banter’ realm, don’t get me wrong it’s pretty disgusting mind. But yeah it’s the trashing Leicester Sq, just general mindless hooliganism, aggression etc that’s horrific.
Kadafi39
Kadafi39 avatar

1987 posts since 30/10/09

12 Jul 2021 14:24
joeyjojo wrote: Are fans like that in other countries and we just don’t see the videos?
The guy doing lines on someone’s shoulders and the flare one don’t annoy me at all, I guess they’re in the ‘banter’ realm, don’t get me wrong it’s pretty disgusting mind. But yeah it’s the trashing Leicester Sq, just general mindless hooliganism, aggression etc that’s horrific.

Many countries have their fair share of it, but I think ours is a different level. Smashing random cars and jumping on ambulances/buses and attacking people randomly just isn't normal!
rural
rural avatar

17784 posts since 26/9/06

12 Jul 2021 14:27
Eastern/Balkan European fans are on another level to us hooligan wise. Though we (England) have our fair share of wankers.
swiftus
swiftus avatar

1499 posts since 1/7/09

12 Jul 2021 15:23
rural wrote: Eastern/Balkan European fans are on another level to us hooligan wise. Though we (England) have our fair share of wankers.

From watching a documentary before the WC in Russia/Ukraine, their idols are the English firms of the 80s.
fudge.dredd
fudge.dredd avatar

12 Jul 2021 15:52
swiftus wrote:
rural wrote: Eastern/Balkan European fans are on another level to us hooligan wise. Though we (England) have our fair share of wankers.

From watching a documentary before the WC in Russia/Ukraine, their idols are the English firms of the 80s.

I remember that documentary (I think it was hosted by Reggie Yates?) and it was awful. I watched it the day before I flew out to Moscow and I must say the experience I had there was nothing short of amazing and I am not white.

Really friendly the majority of the Russians we came across!
Anto
Anto avatar

4036 posts since 19/1/12

12 Jul 2021 16:01
I'll share my maybe not requested thoughts Smiling

You played a very good first half, clearly helped by that very early goal, which almost killed us mentally. Approach in a match like that is key, so hats off to Southgate for that. But after that you should have pushed to score a second and close it. Instead you slowly set back from around 20' in, helping us re-emerge until the end of the first half. Second half on, another match started, where extra time included, you played some atrocious football, slow, predictable and completely pointless. Honestly I'd have expected England to change something and play more central attacks like Spain did, which we suffered a lot. Analyzing Italy vs Spain should have pointed this out clearly, but instead GS kept it tradional with wing play which, with just one striker, most of the times outside the box, wasn't very effective, although Sterling has been a constant threat, mostly because of how easily he falls.
Mancini instead noted that Immobile was suffering terribly against 2 very physical centre back and took him off in favour of Berardi, for a very light but fast paced offensive trio, and in about 10' we scored.
I blame Mancini and the team for not trying too hard to win it in the 90' and then in ET. Penalties should be always avoided at any cost, as you all said, there's too much variability and even the best in trainigs could miss it with such pressure on their shoulders. IMO skills are just a minor factor, it's more a matter of wanting to take one or not.
Apart any consideration on why Southgate chose Rashford, Sancho and Saka the very stupid thing was not playing them before when they were the chosen ones for penalties. That's something that rarely works, in particular in these kind on high pressure matches. I think Sancho didn't touch a single ball before the penalty one, crazy.
Pickford, who IMO is an average keeper, has been great in the penalty shootout. He saved better penalties, like Jorginho one, while for Donnarumma it was more bad penalties saved by him, which is probably easier but still…

Winning it this way, when you on paper before the beginning have no real chances because of so many other great teams, is fantastic. Icing on the cake is that England, both team and country, felt it was theirs already.
Razorlight123
Razorlight123 avatar

4970 posts since 13/1/10

posted 12 Jul 2021 16:10, edited 12 Jul 2021 16:10
Anto, did you also notice Chiellini moved from CB to out wide, and they literally pushed their defensive line to the halfway line in the 2nd half.

That equaliser was coming only Southgate couldn't see it.

Italy would've won it in the 90 had Chiesa not come off injured, he was a handful.
youngkamio
youngkamio avatar

50 posts since 27/6/14

12 Jul 2021 16:35
If it were the French and the match was in Paris there would be mass 'burning and looting' whatever the result. The England lads are far better behaved and don't indulge in pure criminal activity tbh.
Razorlight123
Razorlight123 avatar

4970 posts since 13/1/10

12 Jul 2021 16:39
youngkamio wrote: If it were the French and the match was in Paris there would be mass 'burning and looting' whatever the result. The England lads are far better behaved and don't indulge in pure criminal activity tbh.

Strong 41st post.

Is that what happened in Paris when they won the WC?
smith
smith avatar

11371 posts since 5/5/04

12 Jul 2021 16:40
That's a very good summary Anto. England shit the bed after going up one goal early. The only real surprise was getting the game to penalties.

Anto wrote: Winning it this way, when you on paper before the beginning have no real chances because of so many other great teams, is fantastic. Icing on the cake is that England, both team and country, felt it was theirs already.

It's time to kill this "It's coming home" nonsense ever major tournament. Klinsmann said it fired up Germany in '96, Modric said he translated it for his team '18 and found it arrogant, and Italy were sick to death of hearing about it this tournament. Whilst most English fans now regard it as a bit of fun and 'banter', I can promise you it's not seen like that by most countries.

Same goes for booing National Anthems. It can give the opposition that little bit extra incentive to beat us.

Enjoy the win Anto. Best team of the tournament won.