Random Fashion Questions: Facemask Styling


Show original post
TROYBOY
TROYBOY avatar

666 posts since 28/2/12

posted 12 May 2020 17:52, edited 12 May 2020 17:52
Rez wrote: See that's why 'common sense' is a bit misleading imo.

It was 'common sense' for Boris Johnson to be shaking Covid patients hands back in March, look where that got him.

Your 'common sense' approach doesn't take into account that there's no current consensus on whether you actually build immunity, or how permanent your immunity would be, or whether all people get immunity, or whether your immunity is different depending on how you caught it.

Nor does creating a two-tier society work either. Why should the group that hasn't had it have to make the 'choice' between going out and getting it or isolating? Would they get support if they choose the latter? What if they are a vulnerable group? What's to stop the first group infecting the latter?

Its a choice innit, not being force. some peeps might want to go out and work, some might not.

think the problem on this thread is people believing theyre right and thats it, Im just throwing out ideas, I dont think its the definite answer
smith
smith avatar

10930 posts since 5/5/04

12 May 2020 18:18
Common sense to me says stay home. Our number of dead doesn't include excess deaths.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52623141

But if you are frustrated at home and dont mind getting it and if it doesn't kill you but someone else because you're asymptomatic, then by all means go back to work or be forced to by the government when they cut off the cash tap.
smith
smith avatar

10930 posts since 5/5/04

12 May 2020 18:27
fudge.dredd wrote: Edit: and also the same with face masks. One thousand coronavirus particles can fit across the length of one human hair. There isn’t a mask on this planet that can stop it from infecting you. Not to mention it can enter via your eyes, etc.

Face masks have different ratings and we know that FFP2 and FFP3 can drastically reduce the number of particles you breathe in, giving your white blood cells a much better chance of fighting it off before it puts you in hospital. I'd rather breathe in a thousand odd particles through a facemask than a million odd without.
Mr.X.
Mr.X. avatar

3012 posts since 23/6/13

12 May 2020 18:33
How are you going to disinfect your FFP2/FFP3 facemask? Are the majority of them are designed to be disposable and in limited supply?
smith
smith avatar

10930 posts since 5/5/04

posted 12 May 2020 18:57, edited 12 May 2020 18:57
Hundreds of videos on YouTube on the topic of disinfecting them if you need to go down that route. As for limited supply, don't know how true that is as quick Google suggests there is stock. Got all mine back in March when I saw what was happening in Italy and Spain.
illmurray
illmurray avatar

513 posts since 18/4/12

posted 12 May 2020 19:04, edited 12 May 2020 19:04
TROYBOY wrote: Its been overblown in my opinion.

I have no idea how I've been baited into replying to this thread but how is an estimated 40,000 deaths in the UK something to be overblown? If not something that kills that many people, what should you be concerned with?

The tory response is tragic. They genuinely don't care how many people die from this because they know that there will still be people commenting on social media that 'the government are trying their best' and 'boris is working really hard. It's like the mad herds that defend the owners of Manchester City and soon to be Newcastle. They don't have to respond effectively to the virus, public opinion will still favour them. With the conservative party I don't know anymore if their incompetence is a deliberate strategy or actual incompetence. Or maybe their incompetence is so unavoidable, and yet so inconsequential, that they've just stumbled into it as a strategy. Look at that daft sodden skin-sponge of a man leading the country.

I hate saying that it just isn't worth talking to some people about these things (like Trump supporters) because it's clearly not the right way to go about disagreeing with someone, but increasingly I find myself thinking that way.
Mr.X.
Mr.X. avatar

3012 posts since 23/6/13

12 May 2020 19:07
I’ve seen the videos, extreme lengths you have to go to get them cleaned. I can’t think that can be bothered to do all that.
Rez
Rez avatar

8253 posts since 5/4/09

posted 12 May 2020 19:08, edited 12 May 2020 19:08
TROYBOY wrote:
Rez wrote: See that's why 'common sense' is a bit misleading imo.

It was 'common sense' for Boris Johnson to be shaking Covid patients hands back in March, look where that got him.

Your 'common sense' approach doesn't take into account that there's no current consensus on whether you actually build immunity, or how permanent your immunity would be, or whether all people get immunity, or whether your immunity is different depending on how you caught it.

Nor does creating a two-tier society work either. Why should the group that hasn't had it have to make the 'choice' between going out and getting it or isolating? Would they get support if they choose the latter? What if they are a vulnerable group? What's to stop the first group infecting the latter?

Its a choice innit, not being force. some peeps might want to go out and work, some might not.

think the problem on this thread is people believing theyre right and thats it, Im just throwing out ideas, I dont think its the definite answer

'here's my common sense idea that'll sort it all out. Simple! What's everyone worrying about?'

And

'the problem on here is people believing they're right'

Should pick one imo!

Or tell your side. Do you think getting covid guarantees immunity? Where have you read that? Its pretty central to your idea working.
mtthrvy2
mtthrvy2 avatar

1902 posts since 8/11/10

12 May 2020 21:19
smith wrote: Hundreds of videos on YouTube on the topic of disinfecting them if you need to go down that route. As for limited supply, don't know how true that is as quick Google suggests there is stock. Got all mine back in March when I saw what was happening in Italy and Spain.

doesnt covid only last on surfaces for a few days max? cant you just re-use a mask that you last wore 3-4 days ago?
smith
smith avatar

10930 posts since 5/5/04

posted 12 May 2020 21:28, edited 12 May 2020 21:28
mtthrvy2 wrote:
smith wrote: Hundreds of videos on YouTube on the topic of disinfecting them if you need to go down that route. As for limited supply, don't know how true that is as quick Google suggests there is stock. Got all mine back in March when I saw what was happening in Italy and Spain.

doesnt covid only last on surfaces for a few days max? cant you just re-use a mask that you last wore 3-4 days ago?

Yes. That is also the thinking of many and having some on rotation every 3 to 4 days giving the inside and outside a quick blast of 70%+ alcohol solution is enough and safer than risking a full wash and damaging any of the layers.
Crackajack
Crackajack avatar

7562 posts since 21/4/05

posted 12 May 2020 21:33, edited 12 May 2020 21:33
Bake at 70c for 30 minutes!

https://www.sages.org/n-95-re-use-instructions/

Bear in mind this is advice accepted even for the highest risk use scenarios, not going to a park. Government needs some good public health campaigns on proper mask use.
Rez
Rez avatar

8253 posts since 5/4/09

12 May 2020 21:48
Nah just cut up your old extra small t-shirts and whack em round your face.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-wear-and-make-a-cloth-face-covering/how-to-wear-and-make-a-cloth-face-covering

TROYBOY
TROYBOY avatar

666 posts since 28/2/12

12 May 2020 22:04
Rez wrote:
TROYBOY wrote:
Rez wrote: See that's why 'common sense' is a bit misleading imo.

It was 'common sense' for Boris Johnson to be shaking Covid patients hands back in March, look where that got him.

Your 'common sense' approach doesn't take into account that there's no current consensus on whether you actually build immunity, or how permanent your immunity would be, or whether all people get immunity, or whether your immunity is different depending on how you caught it.

Nor does creating a two-tier society work either. Why should the group that hasn't had it have to make the 'choice' between going out and getting it or isolating? Would they get support if they choose the latter? What if they are a vulnerable group? What's to stop the first group infecting the latter?

Its a choice innit, not being force. some peeps might want to go out and work, some might not.

think the problem on this thread is people believing theyre right and thats it, Im just throwing out ideas, I dont think its the definite answer

'here's my common sense idea that'll sort it all out. Simple! What's everyone worrying about?'

And

'the problem on here is people believing they're right'

Should pick one imo!

Or tell your side. Do you think getting covid guarantees immunity? Where have you read that? Its pretty central to your idea working.

1.I didnt say it would sort it all out, its just an idea.
2.I saw an article saying that you could get it once and done.

This is what I mean by people thinking theyre right…..Laughing out loud
thearm
thearm avatar

32 posts since 17/9/19

13 May 2020 01:16
Thought it might be ok to speak about Korea a bit.

So we seemed to have it completely under control. Very few deaths, no lockdown at all at any point, just social distancing guidelines (not enforced) and obviously everyone wears facemasks. Majority of restaurants and cafes all open and back to being full.

Suddenly we got a massive spike in infections again because an infected person visited five nightclubs in a popular party district in Seoul which means potentially thousands of people exposed. The government is trying to trace everyone who visted the clubs, everyone who was even in the area. It's even more of a shitshow because some of them were gay clubs and Koreans don't want to admit they were anywhere near a gay club. So that means loads of potentially infected people haven't come forward. The goverment is now tracking debit card info to find as many people as possible.

Opening of schools has been delayed again and Korean citizens are blaming gay people for spreading the virus lol. You couldn't make it up!
smith
smith avatar

10930 posts since 5/5/04

13 May 2020 01:31
It's actually scary to think how just 1 person can infect such a large number of people. Probably why I'm awake still at 2:30am in the morning when I gotta be up in a few hours Shocked Laughing out loud Oops Cry

I think the only real conclusion is that herd immunity and lockdown shouldn't be argued as much as it has been on here (me included obviously Sticking out tongue ), as at the end of the day the virus has its own agenda. Germany done very well to get to where they are today but can see them having a scenario like South Korea and having to enforce a second lockdown for some folk.
swede
swede avatar

8844 posts since 21/3/09

13 May 2020 07:04
mental that @thearm

can genuinely just see it keep happening until we have a vaccine too
swede
swede avatar

8844 posts since 21/3/09

13 May 2020 07:07
TROYBOY wrote: I am thinking that too.

To what end.

Im coming round to the thinking that everyones just too scared of everything these days and fear is one of the biggest factors in al this

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud what
kid unknown
kid unknown avatar

5399 posts since 8/12/01

13 May 2020 07:41
Were the actions of the Korea person deliberate?

Even if not, there will be some twisted people who would deliberately infect everyone they could.
TCB
TCB avatar

4243 posts since 5/7/11

13 May 2020 07:49
^ some absolute cunts out there

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/may/12/uk-rail-worker-dies-coronavirus-spat-belly-mujinga
Rez
Rez avatar

8253 posts since 5/4/09

13 May 2020 08:40


https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/13/coronavirus-conspiracy-theories-targeting-muslims-spread-in-india

It's gonna be terrifying in some countries if people use coronavirus as an excuse to exercise their intolerance and hatred. Even worse if the government turns a blind eye/encourages it.

Victor Orban (big mates with the tories) in Hungary has essentially made himself a dictator, able to rule for as long as he likes. EU has done nothing about it.

Trump is using it as a wedge to justify his anti China stance, already had Asian friends in the US tell me they've had racial abuse hurled at them because of coronavirus

Bolsonaro is probably going to get couped which on the face of it is quite funny but the kind of sentiments he's unleashed aren't exactly going to get better under military rule.

Hope Eid here doesn't stoke the usual Islamaphobes here in the UK. Seen a lot of people claim the mosques are open because they saw it on Facebook.

Think a lot of people who saw nothing wrong with street parties, doing the conga and shagging scones to honour the war dead will not share that same enthusiasm with Muslims at the end of this month, even now that the social distancing rules have been relaxed Laughing out loud