General Discussion: FUK summer 2015 Six pack challenge = Ineff Challenge - Can you repeat his success


Show original post
blackham
blackham avatar

1707 posts since 17/7/13

4 Feb 2016 10:15
there's so many conflicting articles out there, I think you should just stick to what you think works for you
RickRude
RickRude avatar

3260 posts since 13/1/12

4 Feb 2016 10:54
blackham wrote: there's so many conflicting articles out there, I think you should just stick to what you think works for you

This - everyuthing is trial and error, listen to your body. So many bro science internet experts. People set themselves unachievable goals then think everything is a contradiction.

"Hi my names MArk, i weigh 72kg soaking wet and I want to be like Greg Plitt. I go to the gym Monday to Friday and do arms and chest everday. I have aa protein shake for breakfast and have my gainz meal for dinner. After 8 weeks i still weigh 72kg. I now do crossfit"
morning mist
morning mist avatar

3130 posts since 29/5/05

posted 4 Feb 2016 12:07, edited 4 Feb 2016 12:07
blackham wrote: there's so many conflicting articles out there

Are there really that many conflicting articles about post-workout glucose uptake?



morning mist
morning mist avatar

3130 posts since 29/5/05

posted 4 Feb 2016 12:16, edited 4 Feb 2016 12:16
RickRude wrote: everyuthing is trial and error, listen to your body. So many bro science internet experts. People set themselves unachievable goals then think everything is a contradiction.

What are you talking about? What does this have to do with the article i linked?
BennyB
BennyB avatar

660 posts since 17/12/03

4 Feb 2016 12:30
morning mist wrote:
BennyB wrote: Use carbs intra to help the recovery straight away and then a meal an hour after "the window of gains" is up to 48 hours post workout but never heard of a 50% drop in uptake after 2 hours. Be interested to read more on that piece. Generally I eat within 30 mins of workout finishing.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3577439/

"Studies show a supercompensation of glycogen stores when carbohydrate is consumed immediately post-exercise, and delaying consumption by just 2 hours attenuates the rate of muscle glycogen re-synthesis by as much as 50%"

Good read that and it's good to learn a bit more about the "why's" of things, as I said I generally eat 30 - 60 mins post workout
gkitch
gkitch avatar

72 posts since 30/6/11

31 May 2016 09:27
Anyone on here used a pullup mate at all? Or got any recomendations for a stand alone pull up bar for home use? Cheers
adidaskev
adidaskev avatar

1001 posts since 30/11/11

31 May 2016 17:07
morning mist wrote:
BennyB wrote: Use carbs intra to help the recovery straight away and then a meal an hour after "the window of gains" is up to 48 hours post workout but never heard of a 50% drop in uptake after 2 hours. Be interested to read more on that piece. Generally I eat within 30 mins of workout finishing.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3577439/

"Studies show a supercompensation of glycogen stores when carbohydrate is consumed immediately post-exercise, and delaying consumption by just 2 hours attenuates the rate of muscle glycogen re-synthesis by as much as 50%"

So is this study then saying I should be having my supper or some form of carb straight after I go to the gym (after work most days)?

I have about 10-15g of protein and an apple pre and 35-40g of protein post-workout (no food) - then a meal 30 mins-1 1/2 hours after my workout normally.

From my understanding (and parts of that study above) I thought it was beneficial to have protein pre and post ASAP but carbs were not entirely important?

I also thought carb sensitivity was increased immensely post-cardio so it was beneficial to do resistance, cardio and then have post-workout and a meal?
Ineff
Ineff avatar

9820 posts since 7/4/04

1 Jun 2016 07:45
gkitch wrote: Anyone on here used a pullup mate at all? Or got any recomendations for a stand alone pull up bar for home use? Cheers

Really bad. They're really unstable and would fall over it you tried a muscle up.

Inbox me if you have a garden and want something haha
bogomir
bogomir avatar

20 posts since 11/4/13

1 Jun 2016 08:34
adidaskev wrote:
morning mist wrote:
BennyB wrote: Use carbs intra to help the recovery straight away and then a meal an hour after "the window of gains" is up to 48 hours post workout but never heard of a 50% drop in uptake after 2 hours. Be interested to read more on that piece. Generally I eat within 30 mins of workout finishing.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3577439/

"Studies show a supercompensation of glycogen stores when carbohydrate is consumed immediately post-exercise, and delaying consumption by just 2 hours attenuates the rate of muscle glycogen re-synthesis by as much as 50%"

So is this study then saying I should be having my supper or some form of carb straight after I go to the gym (after work most days)?

I have about 10-15g of protein and an apple pre and 35-40g of protein post-workout (no food) - then a meal 30 mins-1 1/2 hours after my workout normally.

From my understanding (and parts of that study above) I thought it was beneficial to have protein pre and post ASAP but carbs were not entirely important?

I also thought carb sensitivity was increased immensely post-cardio so it was beneficial to do resistance, cardio and then have post-workout and a meal?


The sense and purpose of a pre-workout meal is stable blood glucose. -> motivation
-> concentration
-> coordination

Carbs 1-2 hours pre-workout max. 1g per kg bodyweight. If you´re last meal was more than 2 hours ago, it is advisable to have a quick snack 30 mins before the actual workout. Rice Pudding + Banana + Toast with honey for example.

There is no need for any kind of supplements. Neither pre nor post workout. At least half of your energy intake post workout should be fast absorbable carbs and 6g essential amino acids are enough. Whatever food that might be. Your post workout meal max 2 hours after the actual workout. Rice + chicken ( complex carbs + protein ) for example. 1,2-1,5g per kg bodyweight proteins and more importantly the right stimulus are the basis for a successfull training. Anything above 2g per kg bodyweight is nonsense and can be self-defeating. I´d recommend to listen to what actual specialists or doctors, based on scientific knowledge have to say. 90% of all the recommandation on instagram, facebook and the like is based on non-professional references.
MuayThaiPimp
MuayThaiPimp avatar

7925 posts since 10/8/11

1 Jun 2016 12:01
0.8 is plenty unless your carbs are low! Pre workout snack ,Apple/banana and snack a jacks salt vinegar(or some sodium snack) Bcaas nope!! Timing does not matter really…so much bro science on social media
blackham
blackham avatar

1707 posts since 17/7/13

1 Jun 2016 12:30
been intermittent fasting, whilst training in the morning on an empty stomach, and I got to say my BF% has dropped significantly whilst muscle build has been carrying on consistently. I've only been doing it 4 weeks, but the improvements I can see are pretty good.

I only eat between 13:00 - 20:00 each day, and train for an hour in the morning only on BCCA's and a black coffee. No protein shakes or anything afterwards. Would recommend to those that want to cut.
Ruca
Ruca avatar

397 posts since 22/2/12

1 Jun 2016 14:02
BCAA break your fast btw blackham
DY
DY avatar

9618 posts since 9/6/11

1 Jun 2016 14:22
intermittent fasting is retarded
Fuzzyduck121
Fuzzyduck121 avatar

1595 posts since 14/12/12

1 Jun 2016 15:00
only eating during set times…. sounds like a toddler's routine

also major nan kid
MuayThaiPimp
MuayThaiPimp avatar

7925 posts since 10/8/11

1 Jun 2016 15:56
Nothing wrong with IF…but it's the calorie deficit that is achieving those results
Scottishmark
Scottishmark avatar

521 posts since 25/1/11

1 Jun 2016 16:14
How is IF retarded?

It tends to be how I eat as it suits my schedule and my results have been fine.

Interested to see why people think it's not a good idea?
Commander_Venus
Commander_Venus avatar

8620 posts since 16/7/06

1 Jun 2016 16:48
I cba to pull the links but theres theories that IF is the way we're supposed to eat, from back when we (I use "we" loosely) were hunters. Long periods of fasting while the animal was being hunted, then a large meal, rinse and repeat. They didnt have iphones and mcdonalds though.

I intermittent fast; not on purpose just my schedule and appetite, and look better than 95% of people in this thread so based on that sample study im all for it.
Ruca
Ruca avatar

397 posts since 22/2/12

1 Jun 2016 16:52
Only real purpose for IF is to maintain a deficit cause it's harder to over eat calories
Bennelli
Bennelli avatar

3461 posts since 25/5/11

1 Jun 2016 16:55
Welcome back CV, talking sense. I always go off what my body wants and needs and forcing yourself to stuff calories into your gut is daft imo
Scottishmark
Scottishmark avatar

521 posts since 25/1/11

1 Jun 2016 17:51
Commander_Venus wrote: I cba to pull the links but theres theories that IF is the way we're supposed to eat, from back when we (I use "we" loosely) were hunters. Long periods of fasting while the animal was being hunted, then a large meal, rinse and repeat. They didnt have iphones and mcdonalds though.

I intermittent fast; not on purpose just my schedule and appetite, and look better than 95% of people in this thread so based on that sample study im all for it.

It makes sense for me - I'm just interested to hear why it's viewed as 'retarded' by some. I don't buy into the whole 'meal timing' train of thought in any case.

Ruca wrote: Only real purpose for IF is to maintain a deficit cause it's harder to over eat calories

Well yes and no; prolonged periods of not eating (appetite dependant) can, not surprisingly, lead to you being starving and overeating in your 'window' as a result.

Of course, it varies from individual to individual.