Menswear: Glasses frames


Show original post
Centurionone
Centurionone avatar

1756 posts since 30/3/11

12 Apr 2022 18:35
andymakesglasses wrote:
Centurionone wrote: I need fairly sturdy frames not metal as I clean them quite often (OCD)….Even tired horn frames but they aren't the most comfy for prolonged wear.

What did you find uncomfortable about the horn frames? In theory they should be more comfortable than acetate frames (lighter and they "warm" to your skin).

Have you considered Cubitts bespoke? The quality is good and you'll get a frame that fits you perfectly. You can either have one of their existing models redesigned to suit you or start from scratch with a completely new design.

May be it's the style of it, the rims were rather thick like the JMMs and I didn't get on well with prolonged wear. As to the weight it really didn't feel much lighter than acetate to me.

Cubitts bespoke sounds like a really cool idea, will definitely try that. Many thanks !

Centurionone
Centurionone avatar

1756 posts since 30/3/11

12 Apr 2022 18:37
swiftus wrote:
Centurionone wrote: I need fairly sturdy frames not metal as I clean them quite often (OCD)….Even tired horn frames but they aren't the most comfy for prolonged wear

I don't understand the connection between metal frames and not being able to clean them?

I went to metal frames (Thom Browne) after wearing acetate for 15 years. Wish I did it sooner. The frames are so light so I forget I'm wearing them most of the time.

It's not that I am unable to clean them.. I clean them too often and unless the frame is titanium it gets bent and misshapen quite quickly. Also the occasional sitting on them by mistake doesn't help
YLAup
YLAup avatar

5934 posts since 5/9/11

12 Apr 2022 19:20
Dee wrote: The replacements at £700+ (which I swerved)

Shame about the rest of your driving
youngkamio
youngkamio avatar

89 posts since 27/6/14

12 Apr 2022 19:44
Centurionone wrote:
andymakesglasses wrote:
Centurionone wrote: I need fairly sturdy frames not metal as I clean them quite often (OCD)….Even tired horn frames but they aren't the most comfy for prolonged wear.

What did you find uncomfortable about the horn frames? In theory they should be more comfortable than acetate frames (lighter and they "warm" to your skin).

Have you considered Cubitts bespoke? The quality is good and you'll get a frame that fits you perfectly. You can either have one of their existing models redesigned to suit you or start from scratch with a completely new design.

May be it's the style of it, the rims were rather thick like the JMMs and I didn't get on well with prolonged wear. As to the weight it really didn't feel much lighter than acetate to me.

Cubitts bespoke sounds like a really cool idea, will definitely try that. Many thanks !

My rimless Maybach Artist III optical glasses in horn are especially light and comfortable for long wear but i have always been impressed with the comfort of Tag Heuer frames- very light and very durable.
toin
toin avatar

2139 posts since 1/4/13

12 Apr 2022 22:29
swede wrote: Those meyrowitz frames make JMMs look so pathetic. Proper quality there Ubercool

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud
swiftus
swiftus avatar

1873 posts since 1/7/09

10 May 2022 22:37
https://www.ft.com/content/f349fcc7-e144-4d48-8cee-224966466d35
youngkamio
youngkamio avatar

89 posts since 27/6/14

11 May 2022 08:26

Nice article. Never heard of this company. No mention of price but imagine starting at 4 figures. I still would prefer a pair of JMM's, Chrome Hearts or vintage Cartier
andymakesglasses
andymakesglasses avatar

20740 posts since 26/1/06

11 May 2022 13:23
Maison Bonnet are good, well-known in the industry (and in France).
haithurimshay
haithurimshay avatar

1105 posts since 27/3/11

11 May 2022 13:41
any love for matsuda here? going to be getting some silver titanium frames soon, quality is unmatched imo
youngkamio
youngkamio avatar

89 posts since 27/6/14

11 May 2022 14:51
haithurimshay wrote: any love for matsuda here? going to be getting some silver titanium frames soon, quality is unmatched imo

The M3105 and 9001 frames look amazing but i confess i haven't tried/handled them but i am sure the quality is right up there.
swiftus
swiftus avatar

1873 posts since 1/7/09

11 May 2022 14:59
youngkamio wrote:
Nice article. Never heard of this company. No mention of price but imagine starting at 4 figures. I still would prefer a pair of JMM's, Chrome Hearts or vintage Cartier

Pricing details here:

https://www.permanentstyle.com/2019/10/maison-bonnet-glasses-review.html

"At €1300 for made-to-measure glasses and €1600 for bespoke, Bonnet is the most expensive maker I’ve covered."
haithurimshay
haithurimshay avatar

1105 posts since 27/3/11

posted 31 May 2022 21:01, edited 31 May 2022 21:01
v happy with new matsudas :]


https://www.matsuda.com/products/10103h-rx?variant=42466830942458
andymakesglasses
andymakesglasses avatar

20740 posts since 26/1/06

1 Jun 2022 08:23
Cool
youngkamio
youngkamio avatar

89 posts since 27/6/14

1 Jun 2022 09:11
very cool. Cool

By the way what a great website by Matsuda. The mannequin videos are excellent. I hate it that 99% of glasses websites do not have pictures of frames on models/mannequins. That virtual try on stuff is pretty crap aswell.