Menswear: Going to Japan - What should I be looking for!


Show original post
Sholto
Sholto avatar

478 posts since 25/12/12

3 Mar 2019 16:54
Looking for recommendations on places to stay in the following cities:

Tokyo - Kyoto - Osaka

Any type of accommodation considered, will be traveling alone if that makes a difference.

Also does anyone have an opinion on booking in advance versus just booking on the day?
Crackajack
Crackajack avatar

6928 posts since 21/4/05

3 Mar 2019 18:01
Stay in a Ryokan for a night, we found this one to be reasonably priced in Kyoto:

http://www.ryokantori.com/room.php

I would book everything in advance but that's just me, we found a lot of budget places got booked up well in advance.

Jero
Jero avatar

109 posts since 27/7/09

3 Mar 2019 19:05
iirc Kyoto/Osaka is just an 1h train trip, staying in Osaka for a few days is a good option (might be cheaper than Kyoto, and you can reach a lot of places in the Kansai area from there)
book for some accomodations, like temples (try to stay 1 night in a temple in Koyasan), and in some places there's surprisingly not a lot of option for lonely travellers
pentonville
pentonville avatar

327 posts since 12/3/12

posted 3 Mar 2019 21:57, edited 3 Mar 2019 21:57
Temple in Koyasan is a must
spanky
spanky avatar

114 posts since 4/3/06

3 Mar 2019 23:02
would definitely book in advance. japan fantastic place for a traveler but can be quite confusing for first time visitor, no reason to make it more complicated.
Sholto
Sholto avatar

478 posts since 25/12/12

posted 4 Mar 2019 18:02, edited 4 Mar 2019 18:02
Thanks for the advice all, please keep the suggestions coming.

Decent hotel with a good location for Tokyo would be appreciated.

Planning on renting bikes and doing quite a bit of cycling around the various cities, does anyone have any experience with this?
staygold
staygold avatar

4987 posts since 21/11/05

4 Mar 2019 21:49

Sholto wrote: Thanks for the advice all, please keep the suggestions coming.

Decent hotel with a good location for Tokyo would be appreciated.

Planning on renting bikes and doing quite a bit of cycling around the various cities, does anyone have any experience with this?
Not sure what your budget is but I always stay at the Cerulean tower in Shibuya, very convenient location and hotel is decent
spanky
spanky avatar

114 posts since 4/3/06

5 Mar 2019 02:08
+1 cerulean. have had good luck with airbnb in the past but not sure how that stands anymore
sodomgomorra
sodomgomorra avatar

1223 posts since 24/3/14

5 Mar 2019 13:09
staygold wrote:
Sholto wrote: Thanks for the advice all, please keep the suggestions coming.

Decent hotel with a good location for Tokyo would be appreciated.

Planning on renting bikes and doing quite a bit of cycling around the various cities, does anyone have any experience with this?
Not sure what your budget is but I always stay at the Cerulean tower in Shibuya, very convenient location and hotel is decent

Isn't that in Pokemon
-DiscoTits-
-DiscoTits- avatar

665 posts since 26/11/07

5 Mar 2019 19:28
Stay in Kyoto rather than Osaka. You can easily get to Osaka for a gander on the JR Pass trains. Kyoto is a much more interesting and historical city and you will be more likely to spend more time there imo. Osaka is like a rip off Tokyo. Worth a visit for maybe a day and night but thats about it. I stayed at the Ibis Styles Kyoto Station while I was there. Cheap rooms, decent location for access to the trains and buses etc. Then in Tokyo I stayed in the Nishitetsu Inn Shinjuku and was more than adequate for my needs as a single traveller.

Definitely get a JR Pass as you can pretty much get around just using that. In Kyoto the JR pass doesn't work. I used buses relatively easily using google maps. Kyoto also a good base for exploring Kobe, Nara, Himeji etc etc.
seenmy
seenmy avatar

6523 posts since 17/6/06

5 Mar 2019 19:51
claska hotel in meguro is not bad having always stayed in shibuya it made a bit of change though its decor is a little tired in places the service and rooms were good, trunk in harajuku is a newer spot Ive not stayed there but see it pop up a lot and much more in the thick of things , Ive used airbnb on quite a few trips when I'm on my own and found it straight forward and the rooms have been good I can't seem to find the one i stayed at a few times which was great and 2 min walk from shibuya station
wembly
wembly avatar

218 posts since 15/1/13

5 Mar 2019 20:05
-DiscoTits- wrote: Stay in Kyoto rather than Osaka. You can easily get to Osaka for a gander on the JR Pass trains. Kyoto is a much more interesting and historical city and you will be more likely to spend more time there imo. Osaka is like a rip off Tokyo. Worth a visit for maybe a day and night but thats about it. I stayed at the Ibis Styles Kyoto Station while I was there. Cheap rooms, decent location for access to the trains and buses etc. Then in Tokyo I stayed in the Nishitetsu Inn Shinjuku and was more than adequate for my needs as a single traveller.

Definitely get a JR Pass as you can pretty much get around just using that. In Kyoto the JR pass doesn't work. I used buses relatively easily using google maps. Kyoto also a good base for exploring Kobe, Nara, Himeji etc etc.

++++++1
crutch
crutch avatar

365 posts since 22/11/12

5 Mar 2019 20:41
Tokyu Excel is another option in shibuya, close to the cerulean but a bit cheaper ifrc. Location is right above the crossing too
keshfu
keshfu avatar

554 posts since 19/1/06

6 Mar 2019 11:06
As Disco said I can recommend Nishitetsu Inn Shinjuku, well priced, good location and large rooms compared to most Japanese hotels.
swiftus
swiftus avatar

641 posts since 1/7/09

6 Mar 2019 12:55
If anyone wants a write-up of useful stuff for Tokyo / Kyoto (esp if you're vegan), send me your email address.
pentonville
pentonville avatar

327 posts since 12/3/12

6 Mar 2019 21:14
I really liked Osaka…. roughest place in Japan by far and the aquarium bangs
jplxx
jplxx avatar

1098 posts since 3/11/09

6 Mar 2019 22:04
pentonville wrote: I really liked Osaka…. roughest place in Japan by far and the aquarium bangs

Same here. I stayed in Nishinara (a pure shite hole) but the most interesting place I’ve been in japan and I can’t wait to go back. Interesting place.
Sholto
Sholto avatar

478 posts since 25/12/12

8 Mar 2019 18:26
Lots of record stores in Osaka so will definitely be spending time there. Thanks for all the recommendations so far.