General Discussion: Grumpy Young Men


Show original post
nick2
nick2 avatar

7231 posts since 18/2/09

13 Apr 2012 16:45
R wrote:
nick2 wrote: Instead of being dissatisfied do somethign about it, if you can get a house and car on the dole then pack your job in and live the life they're living, then you'll be happy ?

why the edit? thought you were talking about sheffield originally

what i put first sounded too much like a rant.
swede
swede avatar

8109 posts since 21/3/09

13 Apr 2012 16:52
oh my god estate agents!!!!!!!! SCUM OF THE EARTH

and some CP desert boots i bought off here are a shade too big but are sooo nice Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry
MerciBeau
MerciBeau avatar

4324 posts since 7/7/06

13 Apr 2012 17:19
swede wrote: oh my god estate agents!!!!!!!! SCUM OF THE EARTH

Could not agree more.

Yellow pages you should read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoicism

Its good shit,

And yeah housing welfare pisses me off, not in a Daily Mail way though, but because the ultimate beneficiaries of it are crooked private landlords who rent squalid properties to DSS'ers, raking in massive amounts of taxpayer cash - would have no problem supporting people in council/state owned housing, but find the idea of it going to some guy who rents out shitholes repulsive
nick2
nick2 avatar

7231 posts since 18/2/09

13 Apr 2012 17:36
Basically, what i think happened is :

A Government allowed people to buy council houses
Result is less council houses
Council have to put people in whatever private houses are available instead
Landlords hike up the rent to the maximum the council will pay them
Private renters have to pay same amount or they don't get anywhere
Landlords never drop rents because there is no shortage of DHSS

normal people priced out, landlords get rich, councils get robbed, DHSS people end-up in shit-holes (sometimes)

Government now (same one that caused this last time round) won't intervene becasue basically they don't give a fuck.


R
R avatar

13011 posts since 17/5/03

13 Apr 2012 17:54
councils pay over the market rent (and landlord has a quality tenant on the hook). its insane.

added to that, fucks me off (in a daily mail way) that people that contribute fuck all financially can live in a more expensive property than i can afford.
tical
tical avatar

110 posts since 2/2/12

13 Apr 2012 17:59
R wrote: councils pay over the market rent (and landlord has a quality tenant on the hook). its insane.

Thats not true. Whilst its true the council pays a considerable amount for housing, If you're a landlord renting a house, the council will generally offer you lower than you have initially advertised the house for. The reason landlords agree is because they are usually under the assumption that they will be protected by the council every month and have a long term tenant. The reality is usually different and landlords end up having a lot of problems and usually never accept people on housing benefits again.
R
R avatar

13011 posts since 17/5/03

13 Apr 2012 18:00
im telling you it is true. fact.
R
R avatar

13011 posts since 17/5/03

13 Apr 2012 18:02
obviously the shitty tenant part is undeniable
tical
tical avatar

110 posts since 2/2/12

13 Apr 2012 18:04
well I can't argue with you if you've had a different experience letting out your house, but that was the case for both my neighbours
R
R avatar

13011 posts since 17/5/03

13 Apr 2012 18:06
tical wrote: well I can't argue with you if you've had a different experience letting out your house, but that was the case for both my neighbours

some residential investors i work closely with are getting almost 7% above market value from the council.
tical
tical avatar

110 posts since 2/2/12

13 Apr 2012 18:19
Its obviously dependent on the location and demand for housing obviously. If you're renting in places like London, the council are going to have to pay above the base rate to entice people into renting their house out. I just don't believe that landlords do it to make a mad amount of cash. There is a reason a lot of them are hesitant to do it and flat out reject anyone who is on housing benefits.

Anyway, I don't know why I am arguing, the situation has caused endless problems for most people I speak to who have moved into new housing projects and subsequently found many people moving in on housing benefits once the rest of the houses failed to sell
nick2
nick2 avatar

7231 posts since 18/2/09

13 Apr 2012 18:23
R wrote: added to that, fucks me off (in a daily mail way) that people that contribute fuck all financially can live in a more expensive property than i can afford.

but thats not their doing, if there were council houses available they would be in them, but all council houses are either provately owned or being rented by people who frankly don't "need" them.
R
R avatar

13011 posts since 17/5/03

13 Apr 2012 18:25
nick2 wrote:
R wrote: added to that, fucks me off (in a daily mail way) that people that contribute fuck all financially can live in a more expensive property than i can afford.

but thats not their doing, if there were council houses available they would be in them, but all council houses are either provately owned or being rented by people who frankly don't "need" them.


when did i say it was their fault? although there are definitely ways to swing it if you want to live in a prime area.
nick2
nick2 avatar

7231 posts since 18/2/09

13 Apr 2012 18:27
R wrote: obviously the shitty tenant part is undeniable

yeah, like all students are shitty tenants too

R
R avatar

13011 posts since 17/5/03

13 Apr 2012 18:28
nick2 wrote:
R wrote: obviously the shitty tenant part is undeniable

yeah, like all students are shitty tenants too

whats your point?
nick2
nick2 avatar

7231 posts since 18/2/09

13 Apr 2012 18:35
R wrote:
nick2 wrote:
R wrote: obviously the shitty tenant part is undeniable

yeah, like all students are shitty tenants too

whats your point?

everyone on housing benefits is going to be a shitty tennant is like saying all students will be, it's Daily Mail-esque sweeping generalisation



R
R avatar

13011 posts since 17/5/03

13 Apr 2012 18:37
decent enough generalisation. most students are shit tenants.
DickieGreenleaf
DickieGreenleaf avatar

3122 posts since 13/1/09

13 Apr 2012 20:19
like i said earlier, most people i know on housing benifits are good earners, screwing the system, some in nice new gaffs, nice cars etc etc
nick2
nick2 avatar

7231 posts since 18/2/09

13 Apr 2012 20:28
The fact that they think it's acceptable to do that is what's wrong with the UK (and most of the developed world) today, people have no pride anymore.


God I sound old.
R
R avatar

13011 posts since 17/5/03

13 Apr 2012 20:33
Dickie Greenleaf wrote: like i said earlier, most people i know on housing benifits are good earners, screwing the system, some in nice new gaffs, nice cars etc etc

Can't believe some of the cars parked outside council housing.