General Discussion: Grumpy Young Men


Show original post
bill
bill avatar

4905 posts since 5/8/09

posted 29 Sep 2016 17:08, edited 29 Sep 2016 17:08
Well, I've had a shit week. My sister's two year old chopped the end of her finger off while at my house on monday, had to have surgery on tuesday to fix it and today I've been at the hospital again as I lost my temper with a vacuum cleaner and broke my big toe. They've put my whole foot in a cast and given me a spazzy shoe :-/

And is it any wonder 'lifestyle choices cost the NHS 11billion a year' when all you see in hospital's is shit like this staring you in the face:


When our 2 year came out of surgery, she had to have some food and the menu consisted of 'fried pork balls', 'cheese and ham pasty' 'beef sandwich' and 'ice cream'. The World Health Organisation classed cured meats, ie HAM as class 1 carcinogens(same risk category as cigarettes), so why they fuck are they serving this shit in hospitals? If they offered your kid a cig after surgery, you'd go mental but few pieces of ham is ok.

DY
DY avatar

9618 posts since 9/6/11

29 Sep 2016 20:16
IIFYM
DY
DY avatar

9618 posts since 9/6/11

29 Sep 2016 20:17
Agree btw. Vending machines are just an easy low maintenance option I guess.


Is your sister still with that guy you fucking hate?
EssexBoyII
EssexBoyII avatar

6439 posts since 5/6/07

29 Sep 2016 21:19
Working with women. Very mysogynistic and generalised moan but why do they have such a massive chip on their shoulder?
figurine
figurine avatar

5728 posts since 14/5/07

29 Sep 2016 21:39
From WHO website:
9. Processed meat was classified as carcinogenic to humans (Group 1). Tobacco smoking and asbestos are also both classified as carcinogenic to humans (Group 1). Does it mean that consumption of processed meat is as carcinogenic as tobacco smoking and asbestos?

No, processed meat has been classified in the same category as causes of cancer such as tobacco smoking and asbestos (IARC Group 1, carcinogenic to humans), but this does NOT mean that they are all equally dangerous. The IARC classifications describe the strength of the scientific evidence about an agent being a cause of cancer, rather than assessing the level of risk.
Tldr it's based on strength of evidence of causality, not how dangerous it actually it.
quest
quest avatar

3224 posts since 11/7/11

posted 29 Sep 2016 21:57, edited 29 Sep 2016 21:57
shouldnt have booted the dyson bill you big spaz
bill
bill avatar

4905 posts since 5/8/09

30 Sep 2016 00:03
figurine wrote: From WHO website:
9. Processed meat was classified as carcinogenic to humans (Group 1). Tobacco smoking and asbestos are also both classified as carcinogenic to humans (Group 1). Does it mean that consumption of processed meat is as carcinogenic as tobacco smoking and asbestos?

No, processed meat has been classified in the same category as causes of cancer such as tobacco smoking and asbestos (IARC Group 1, carcinogenic to humans), but this does NOT mean that they are all equally dangerous. The IARC classifications describe the strength of the scientific evidence about an agent being a cause of cancer, rather than assessing the level of risk.
Tldr it's based on strength of evidence of causality, not how dangerous it actually it.

I'm not sure of your point, do you have one? Eating a ham sandwich is probably not as dangerous as eating a piece of asbestos roof. Is that your point? Smiling

Smoking is proven to cause cancer, Bacon is proven to cause cancer. Neither of these things should be found anywhere inside a hospital.
bill
bill avatar

4905 posts since 5/8/09

30 Sep 2016 00:09
DY wrote: Agree btw. Vending machines are just an easy low maintenance option I guess.


Is your sister still with that guy you fucking hate?

yea and he gets worse. Sill not job. I was at the hospital with my sister all monday night and all day tuesday while baby was having op. He was no where to be seen. Nothing would stop me going to see my kid in hospital, I wouldn't give a fuck who was there that I didn't like (in this case, me)…

So when baby comes out of theatre sister rings him and he never asks how baby was he just says 'when are you coming home' and slammed phone down. Biggest cunt on the planet.

They were supposed to be going on holiday the day after he surgery but had to cancel it because baby couldn't go due to risk of infection. When he found this out he says 'so I bought all those clothes for nothing??' and now he's in a mood. A £2500 holiday that he wasn't paying a single penny towards.

joeyjojo
joeyjojo avatar

3962 posts since 24/8/06

30 Sep 2016 06:23
Jesus, sounds like a proper cunt
MrPlatinum
MrPlatinum avatar

8939 posts since 24/2/04

30 Sep 2016 07:50
You ruined his holiday though, so silver linings and all that.
joeyjojo
joeyjojo avatar

3962 posts since 24/8/06

30 Sep 2016 07:57
figurine
figurine avatar

5728 posts since 14/5/07

30 Sep 2016 08:02
bill wrote:
figurine wrote: From WHO website:
9. Processed meat was classified as carcinogenic to humans (Group 1). Tobacco smoking and asbestos are also both classified as carcinogenic to humans (Group 1). Does it mean that consumption of processed meat is as carcinogenic as tobacco smoking and asbestos?

No, processed meat has been classified in the same category as causes of cancer such as tobacco smoking and asbestos (IARC Group 1, carcinogenic to humans), but this does NOT mean that they are all equally dangerous. The IARC classifications describe the strength of the scientific evidence about an agent being a cause of cancer, rather than assessing the level of risk.
Tldr it's based on strength of evidence of causality, not how dangerous it actually it.

I'm not sure of your point, do you have one? Eating a ham sandwich is probably not as dangerous as eating a piece of asbestos roof. Is that your point? Smiling

Smoking is proven to cause cancer, Bacon is proven to cause cancer. Neither of these things should be found anywhere inside a hospital.
My point was more eating a couple of slices of ham is a lot less likely to give you cancer than smoking a cigarette. Not saying the meals in hospitals are a shining example of nutrition, but a couple of slices of ham isn't going to kill you, and comparing eating a food that has some nutritional benefit to smoking a cigarette which has no positive effect at all isn't exactly a great analogy.
MLI
MLI avatar

4406 posts since 6/10/09

30 Sep 2016 10:11
Bare mans came up to me tonight on the streets and bend down to look at the side of my knees. They said "oi, what kind of pants are these, they're like pants, but with compartments on the sides for some kind of load or cargo if you will".
bill
bill avatar

4905 posts since 5/8/09

30 Sep 2016 10:18
It wasn't an analogy, I was merely stating a fact. Virtually every food on the planet has nutritional benefit. A deep fried turd has some nutritional benefit. And smokers would also argue that smoking has some positive effect.

A couple slices of ham isn't going to kill you, neither is a couple cigarettes. But who just eats a couple slices of ham a year? or has a couple cigarettes a year?

I just believe that the NHS should promote foods that are proven to promote health, not ones that are proven to cause cancer. If any institution should be 'shining example of nutrition', it should be the NHS shouldn't it? It has the word 'Health' in it for a start.

There's no where to go with this argument. Yes, it doesn't seem as bad eating bacon as it does smoking fags, what harm is a bacon sandwich, everyone loves a bacon sandwich don't they etc etc…. But there's as much evidence to prove that processed meat causes cancer as there is that smoking causes cancer. So unless you can debunk all that evidence, then processed meats have no place in hospitals. See, I get it, I get why people don't think these things are bad and you can eat them #EverythingInModeration but by the time you reach 50-60-70 and you're paying for a lifetime of eating cancer causing junk foods, they'll be fuck all you or the NHS can do about it and the irony is when you're getting your dose of radiation and copulus amounts of drugs pumped into your veins down your local NHS hospital with your fingers crossed that you'll be one of the 2% of people that chemo is successful for, you'll get served a bacon sandwich for lunch in between your chemo sessions.
figurine
figurine avatar

5728 posts since 14/5/07

30 Sep 2016 10:50
bill wrote: A couple slices of ham isn't going to kill you, neither is a couple cigarettes. But who just eats a couple slices of ham a year? or has a couple cigarettes a year?
Patients need to eat, they don't need to smoke. The two can't be compared.

bill wrote: I just believe that the NHS should promote foods that are proven to promote health, not ones that are proven to cause cancer. If any institution should be 'shining example of nutrition', it should be the NHS shouldn't it? It has the word 'Health' in it for a start.
I agree with this in principle, but in practice it isn't that simple. Hospitals can't just serve vegan lentil stews, people won't eat them. The costs and production of meals need to be taken into account, ham is cheap, chicken breasts aren't. There was also a choice of foods, it not like you were forced to have ham, there were other options.

bill wrote: There's no where to go with this argument. Yes, it doesn't seem as bad eating bacon as it does smoking fags, what harm is a bacon sandwich, everyone loves a bacon sandwich don't they etc etc…. But there's as much evidence to prove that processed meat causes cancer as there is that smoking causes cancer. So unless you can debunk all that evidence, then processed meats have no place in hospitals. See, I get it, I get why people don't think these things are bad and you can eat them #EverythingInModeration but by the time you reach 50-60-70 and you're paying for a lifetime of eating cancer causing junk foods, they'll be fuck all you or the NHS can do about it and the irony is when you're getting your dose of radiation and copulus amounts of drugs pumped into your veins down your local NHS hospital with your fingers crossed that you'll be one of the 2% of people that chemo is successful for, you'll get served a bacon sandwich for lunch in between your chemo sessions.
People who eat low meat diets have approx a 5.6% chance of developing bowel cancer, this rises to 6.6% for those who have a diet high in processed meat, I'm happy to live with that increase to be able to continue eating as I currently do and not worrying about the occasional sausage. I'm also happy to offset that risk through exercise and eating a relatively high fibre diet. Maybe instead of getting all your info about this from here, you could try reading something like this instead.
C-Stylez
C-Stylez avatar

5101 posts since 4/7/12

30 Sep 2016 11:31
Speaking of deep fried turd, we've not had an update on your faecal movements in a while Bill.
MuayThaiPimp
MuayThaiPimp avatar

7925 posts since 10/8/11

30 Sep 2016 12:42
Bill your verging on potato territory Laughing out loud …he does sound like a right cunt tho
Crackajack
Crackajack avatar

7112 posts since 21/4/05

30 Sep 2016 13:20
Sadly the hospital probably needs the income from the contract for vending services and may not even have a say in the stock.

quest
quest avatar

3224 posts since 11/7/11

30 Sep 2016 13:40
MTP will smash his head in for a fiver
MuayThaiPimp
MuayThaiPimp avatar

7925 posts since 10/8/11

30 Sep 2016 13:53
I reckon bill would have no problem doing that on his own