General Discussion: 


Show original post
rural
rural avatar

17784 posts since 26/9/06

29 Dec 2012 13:23
I disagree there is a huge difference between the non retina and retina screen MacBooks just for day to day viewing, particularly if you're using it for long periods of time.
deuce
deuce avatar

14045 posts since 21/1/08

29 Dec 2012 13:32
I bought a non-retina recently. Retinas don't come with a DVD drive, which is a pain in the arse. Screen is sharp and vibrant (no one has ever moaned about apple screens, wishing they were retina before it came out)
rural
rural avatar

17784 posts since 26/9/06

29 Dec 2012 13:34
No they didn't, but they have been released and its a much better picture I.M.O.

deuce
deuce avatar

14045 posts since 21/1/08

29 Dec 2012 13:34
Yeah I don't doubt that, but it doesn't mean the old one is now dog shite, it's still a great screen
rural
rural avatar

17784 posts since 26/9/06

29 Dec 2012 13:36
Course not, i don't think i said that tbph. Only that i can see the retina screen much more clearly and has less strain on my eyes over time.
bill
bill avatar

4930 posts since 5/8/09

29 Dec 2012 13:39
how come retina models don't come with a dvd drive?
m15try
m15try avatar

1254 posts since 18/8/09

29 Dec 2012 13:43
"That's the price you pay for good design" - Hello World

Not to mention the ridiculous premium you're paying, the lack of parts changeability etc…
Jayboy
Jayboy avatar

1026 posts since 7/9/11

29 Dec 2012 13:54
bill wrote: how come retina models don't come with a dvd drive?

Because its a dying media. The mac mini and the imac doesnt have it either. In all fairness, who does even use the dvddrive, and for what? I havent for the last 4 years or so…
m15try
m15try avatar

1254 posts since 18/8/09

29 Dec 2012 13:57
spoken like a true fanboy
rural
rural avatar

17784 posts since 26/9/06

29 Dec 2012 13:57
Spoken like a true employee
PHiL
PHiL avatar

8745 posts since 31/8/03

29 Dec 2012 14:05
True though, hardly anyone needs a DVD drive..

I bought a late 2011 mbp, top spec for about a grand a few months ago. Just upgraded the ram to 16gb. Great machine for what I need but I hadn't looked at the retina in real life before buying, must admit once I saw it liked the screen and the fact it was thinner. Not sure it's worth the extra 1.5k to me though..
bill
bill avatar

4930 posts since 5/8/09

29 Dec 2012 14:06
Jayboy wrote:
bill wrote: how come retina models don't come with a dvd drive?

Because its a dying media. The mac mini and the imac doesnt have it either. In all fairness, who does even use the dvddrive, and for what? I havent for the last 4 years or so…

I get that, I don't get why the normal MBP comes with one and the his res display version doesn't
deuce
deuce avatar

14045 posts since 21/1/08

29 Dec 2012 14:17
Need that DVD/cd drive, how else are you going to make mix tapes for potential girlfriends?
PHiL
PHiL avatar

8745 posts since 31/8/03

29 Dec 2012 14:23
For the rare occasions you need one just get external for cheap
deuce
deuce avatar

14045 posts since 21/1/08

29 Dec 2012 14:29
Defeats the purpose of a laptop though
Popeye Doyle
Popeye Doyle avatar

1979 posts since 26/1/07

29 Dec 2012 15:01
bill wrote:
Jayboy wrote:
bill wrote: how come retina models don't come with a dvd drive?

Because its a dying media. The mac mini and the imac doesnt have it either. In all fairness, who does even use the dvddrive, and for what? I havent for the last 4 years or so…

I get that, I don't get why the normal MBP comes with one and the his res display version doesn't

dvd drive constitutes to the extra thickness in the standard macbook pro's and older imacs.
Hello World
Hello World avatar

12170 posts since 7/3/05

29 Dec 2012 19:37
all academic, will be gone soon, then you have no choice.

Goldie
Goldie avatar

4818 posts since 17/10/07

30 Dec 2012 01:37
Not strictly an iPad query, how can I download/rip BBC iplayer audio onto my android tablet?
swede
swede avatar

9827 posts since 21/3/09

12 Jan 2013 16:50
anyone selling a mbp?
deuce
deuce avatar

14045 posts since 21/1/08

12 Jan 2013 21:26
bought a macbook pro a couple of months ago, and its acting pretty slow.
only got about 40gig of storage in use. i got an old imac from about 5 years ago and it seems about the same speed.

if i open a few tabs or windows, it seems to struggle and go slow, surely that cant be right??

its got 2.3ghz quadcore, and 4gig of ram. by no means is it some super computer, but i feel like it should be running faster than it does. also, start up takes much longer than my old imac.

should i book it in to see that apple geeks?