General Discussion: 


Show original post
burny
burny avatar

5913 posts since 25/5/06

posted 11 Feb 2016 17:36, edited 11 Feb 2016 17:36
Done.
stoney
stoney avatar

17584 posts since 22/1/05

17 Feb 2016 07:00
My ipad has suddenly stopped opening PDF's. I have downloaded adobe reader, done a hard restart etc but no good, any ideas ?

Ta.
schtoop
schtoop avatar

13019 posts since 9/4/07

19 Mar 2016 14:46
the battery on my macbook retina is on it's last legs (2 hours charge)

cheapest place to get it replaced? £169 with apple i think Sad
Jesus
Jesus avatar

5998 posts since 7/10/08

20 Mar 2016 10:09
still under applecare? i backed mine for a "intermittent" track pad fault just before the 3 years ran out and the battery was replaced as its all part of the same assembly
swede
swede avatar

8994 posts since 21/3/09

20 Mar 2016 10:25
Cool
Bails78
Bails78 avatar

677 posts since 6/1/08

21 Mar 2016 17:50
Has anyone upgraded to OSX El Capitan?

I have an old Macbook Pro from 2008 running Mountain Lion 10.8.5, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

If I upgrade to El Capitan will it slow down the machine considerably, have read that people had problems with this and Yosemite before it so have resisted upgrading software but feel I need to now.
andymakesglasses
andymakesglasses avatar

20427 posts since 26/1/06

21 Mar 2016 18:05
I'm running it on a 2009 iMac (with a slightly faster processor and RAM than your Macbook) with no problems.

Both El Capitan and Yosemite sped up rather than slowed down my computer, they seem to be less bloated and better written than previous upgrades.
padawan
padawan avatar

4341 posts since 27/6/03

21 Mar 2016 18:37
will speed it up.
kozsie
kozsie avatar

106 posts since 12/9/07

21 Mar 2016 18:54
My 2007 Macbook's hard drives packed in for the second time - tempted to buy new but realistically not worth it as I only use it for Serato and recording mixes into.

Just going to buy a new HD, either 500gb or 1TB - where's the best to buy?
bill
bill avatar

4930 posts since 5/8/09

21 Mar 2016 20:28
Does anyone use Time Capsule? what's it like?

I've lost important data twice now in recent months from not backing up. I need something that can back up my stuff with the least amount of hassle possible.
sodomgomorra
sodomgomorra avatar

1581 posts since 24/3/14

21 Mar 2016 22:22
kozsie wrote: My 2007 Macbook's hard drives packed in for the second time - tempted to buy new but realistically not worth it as I only use it for Serato and recording mixes into.

Just going to buy a new HD, either 500gb or 1TB - where's the best to buy?

Why don't you get an SD while you're at it. Blow some new life in that old mac of yours.

Samsung Evo's are the best bang for your buck.
kozsie
kozsie avatar

106 posts since 12/9/07

21 Mar 2016 22:48
sodomgomorra wrote:
kozsie wrote: My 2007 Macbook's hard drives packed in for the second time - tempted to buy new but realistically not worth it as I only use it for Serato and recording mixes into.

Just going to buy a new HD, either 500gb or 1TB - where's the best to buy?

Why don't you get an SD while you're at it. Blow some new life in that old mac of yours.

Samsung Evo's are the best bang for your buck.

It's a turd of a thing now - had it down the Genius Bar to see if they could rescue it today, was slightly ashamed to show the lad what my issue was.
swede
swede avatar

8994 posts since 21/3/09

21 Mar 2016 23:56
10 years old and it can still run serato Cool
yellowpages
yellowpages avatar

2119 posts since 11/6/10

22 Mar 2016 01:14
bill wrote: Does anyone use Time Capsule? what's it like?

I've lost important data twice now in recent months from not backing up. I need something that can back up my stuff with the least amount of hassle possible.

Best solution is to get a cloud system like Crashplan and run a local backup through it too. PM me if you need more info.
kozsie
kozsie avatar

106 posts since 12/9/07

posted 22 Mar 2016 16:44, edited 22 Mar 2016 16:44
swede wrote: 10 years old and it can still run serato Cool

That's the thing; I looked at buying one of those 12" Airs but Serato doesn't support El Captain for a downloadable option, and have no plans to develop it for Scratch.

Ordered a new Seagate 500gb drive, which will do the job adequately for another few years.
toin
toin avatar

1861 posts since 1/4/13

posted 22 Mar 2016 16:52, edited 22 Mar 2016 16:52
stoney wrote: My ipad has suddenly stopped opening PDF's. I have downloaded adobe reader, done a hard restart etc but no good, any ideas ?

Ta.

Hook it up to itunes, restore it to factory settings and don't have your backup be put back. See if it works and if it does you can reinstall your backup. If this fucks it up, your backup has an error in it and you'll have to manually put everything back. If restoring to factory settings didn't work it's a hardware issue and needs to be repaired.

Worked a full year for applecare and that's pretty much all you can do.
tc222
tc222 avatar

164 posts since 29/5/09

17 Apr 2016 16:57
Trying to stream films to my tv via my macbook pro and an HDMI cable.

There's bit of juttery/choppy playback….there's none on the laptop screen but only on the TV.

Have tried both mirrored and extended display but no change. Are there any settings I need to change to make it smoother? Particularly noticeable on panning shots…
Rirawin
Rirawin avatar

9392 posts since 17/7/05

17 Apr 2016 17:47
Could be the cable?
DuffMan
DuffMan avatar

14386 posts since 21/2/07

22 Apr 2016 09:32
My macbook has a 3 year warranty and recently had the battery replaced as part of a whole new case (new battery is ~6 months old), but it's not holding a charge well, total possible charge is already showing as below 90% and it often suddenly seems to have low battery. Are they likely to swap it out if I take it in? Not going through the hassle for them to fob me off.
Rufio
Rufio avatar

5994 posts since 11/10/05

6 Jun 2016 17:08
Can you download torrents on the new iPads without Jailbreaking?