General Discussion: I have 15k(ish) to invest - please advise me!


Show original post
Burt
Burt avatar

5746 posts since 3/1/10

23 Feb 2015 22:08
Today's smudge? You had a worktop delivery, Evers?
Olismallz
Olismallz avatar

873 posts since 7/2/12

posted 23 Feb 2015 22:12, edited 23 Feb 2015 22:12
ha ha ha there's sellers consistently selling 20-30 boxes a day do the maths
Seventyfour
Seventyfour avatar

8864 posts since 6/10/05

23 Feb 2015 22:28
Seventyfour wrote:
EssexBoyII wrote: Don't you swerve the VAT if you buy them in the form of tender I.s silver coins?
By the looks of it you don't have to pay vat on any profit you make from them, but you still have to pay vat on your initial purchase

looking into it a bit more it seems you don't have to pay tax on gold, but you do on silver and platinum, any ideas why?
EssexBoyII
EssexBoyII avatar

6639 posts since 5/6/07

24 Feb 2015 08:52
That must be where I got it from. Not sure why. Maybe trying to stimulate the gold market after it had a major slow? Looked into buying a few gold brittania's. Is silver inspected to appreciate alot?
carl lewis
carl lewis avatar

23669 posts since 14/10/04

24 Feb 2015 09:52
Trent wrote: Good point. I should just buy a Rolex.

Did you cop those kettles at 40%-50% off?
Mookie_blaylock
Mookie_blaylock avatar

1594 posts since 19/7/06

24 Feb 2015 10:41
Seventyfour wrote:
Seventyfour wrote:
EssexBoyII wrote: Don't you swerve the VAT if you buy them in the form of tender I.s silver coins?
By the looks of it you don't have to pay vat on any profit you make from them, but you still have to pay vat on your initial purchase

looking into it a bit more it seems you don't have to pay tax on gold, but you do on silver and platinum, any ideas why?


Why do I have to Pay VAT on Silver?

Silver bullion should be viewed like any other product. If you went to your local electrical store and purchased a new television, you would expect to pay VAT. You wouldn’t necessarily think about or recognise the VAT as it would be included in the sales price, but it would still be there. Therefore investors should be mindful that silver investment is very different to gold, with silver being much more speculative


More info:
https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/info/how-to-buy-gold/vat-on-silver-gold/

EVERS
EVERS avatar

8580 posts since 2/7/06

24 Feb 2015 10:45
EssexBoyII wrote: That must be where I got it from. Not sure why. Maybe trying to stimulate the gold market after it had a major slow? Looked into buying a few gold brittania's. Is silver inspected to appreciate alot?

interested how much you intend to spend and what you would do with the stash. leave it under the bed for 10 years in the expectation the value increases?

i used to deal with insurance claims for gold/silver coins in the US and its huge there but never understood why normal people buy it.
Trent
Trent avatar

1894 posts since 18/1/09

24 Feb 2015 11:22
carl lewis wrote:
Trent wrote: Good point. I should just buy a Rolex.

Did you cop those kettles at 40%-50% off?

Which ones Carl?
carl lewis
carl lewis avatar

23669 posts since 14/10/04

24 Feb 2015 11:58
Posted up little while ago in the GJ section.
Trent
Trent avatar

1894 posts since 18/1/09

24 Feb 2015 12:39
I must have missed it man. PEAK.
carl lewis
carl lewis avatar

23669 posts since 14/10/04

24 Feb 2015 12:46
Yup you would of been in profit
Trent
Trent avatar

1894 posts since 18/1/09

24 Feb 2015 12:48
All gone I take it?
Trent
Trent avatar

1894 posts since 18/1/09

24 Feb 2015 12:48
Who actually copped?
EssexBoyII
EssexBoyII avatar

6639 posts since 5/6/07

24 Feb 2015 12:56
What deal is that?
carl lewis
carl lewis avatar

23669 posts since 14/10/04

24 Feb 2015 13:52
Was a selection of Rolex's mainly Gold ones reduced.
DuffMan
DuffMan avatar

14317 posts since 21/2/07

15 Apr 2016 08:55
Anyone bought whisky as an investment?
andymakesglasses
andymakesglasses avatar

20300 posts since 26/1/06

15 Apr 2016 09:02
I wouldn't trust myself.
Jimmy326
Jimmy326 avatar

4559 posts since 22/9/07

15 Apr 2016 09:11
Yeah, sounds pretty whisky to me.
MoB
MoB avatar

36795 posts since 31/8/04

15 Apr 2016 10:20
Jimmy326 wrote: Yeah, sounds pretty whisky to me.
Laughing out loud
Brian Damage
Brian Damage avatar

7996 posts since 21/10/03

15 Apr 2016 11:15
Smiling