General Discussion: I have 15k(ish) to invest - please advise me!


Show original post
TheTiger
TheTiger avatar

4151 posts since 23/2/03

9 Mar 2021 05:35
Bit of a random one but anyone into sports cards as an alternative investment? None of this NFT nonsense (still can’t get my head around it), but physical cards. Have been paying attention at Messi and Ronaldo rookie cards and stickers going from low thousands to over six figures in the last 6 months or so. An Erling Haaland signed and numbered 1/25 rookie card went for $125k a couple of days ago. Eek
ginner
ginner avatar

334 posts since 15/4/14

9 Mar 2021 08:29
And some people say we aren't in a bubble. Thats nuts.
Ulster_Blue
Ulster_Blue avatar

5577 posts since 16/7/06

9 Mar 2021 10:16
Does anyone know if an app exists where you can input various mortgages and keep a track on them? i have a Halifax mortgage on my house which i can track on my Halifax app, but I have 5 BTL mortgages with Birmingham Midshires and one with Bank of Ireland. Would be useful to have one app to track them all.
swede
swede avatar

9967 posts since 21/3/09

9 Mar 2021 10:18
^report to class thread Sticking out tongue
blackham
blackham avatar

1861 posts since 17/7/13

9 Mar 2021 10:26
Ulster_Blue wrote: Does anyone know if an app exists where you can input various mortgages and keep a track on them? i have a Halifax mortgage on my house which i can track on my Halifax app, but I have 5 BTL mortgages with Birmingham Midshires and one with Bank of Ireland. Would be useful to have one app to track them all.

You should be able to track a re-mortgage / mortgage via Habito.

https://www.habito.com/how-can-we-help/remortgage
Ulster_Blue
Ulster_Blue avatar

5577 posts since 16/7/06

9 Mar 2021 10:30
swede wrote: ^report to class thread Sticking out tongue

Haha i guess a bit, but I'm a self employed lawyer, so no public sector pension. if i didnt start planning my retirement early i'll be working until i'm 70.
Kadafi39
Kadafi39 avatar

2031 posts since 30/10/09

posted 9 Mar 2021 15:13, edited 9 Mar 2021 15:13
Ulster_Blue wrote:
swede wrote: ^report to class thread Sticking out tongue

Haha i guess a bit, but I'm a self employed lawyer, so no public sector pension. if i didnt start planning my retirement early i'll be working until i'm 70.

I'm in the same boat, same profession too. My father is also a self employed lawyer and his pension pot went tits up with equitable life.

So we also got in to the BTL game!

What area of law do you work in?
Ulster_Blue
Ulster_Blue avatar

5577 posts since 16/7/06

9 Mar 2021 17:20
Conveyancing mate. Based in NI so cost of living is very cheap. Have a private pension too just to diversify but if you get at the right price nothing beats bricks and mortar IMHO
Essence
Essence avatar

3129 posts since 10/1/05

9 Mar 2021 19:00
Kadafi39 wrote:
Ulster_Blue wrote:
swede wrote: ^report to class thread Sticking out tongue

Haha i guess a bit, but I'm a self employed lawyer, so no public sector pension. if i didnt start planning my retirement early i'll be working until i'm 70.

I'm in the same boat, same profession too. My father is also a self employed lawyer and his pension pot went tits up with equitable life.

So we also got in to the BTL game!

What area of law do you work in?

Same - albeit at the Bar. I was going to look at some holiday lets this year. I just hate hassle. But I am at the age were it needs to be done.
Fläsket
Fläsket avatar

3931 posts since 14/8/04

9 Mar 2021 21:50
Free investment tip courtesy of Fläsket Investment Portfolio Advisory Inc: With vaccines expected to be widely available to all age groups by this summer, we're anticipating a Summer of Love 2.0. We forsee a great increase in demand for contraceptives just as the demand for respiratory equipment spiked at the beginning of the pandemic. Get in now while stock prices of birth control manufacturers are relatively flat.
TheTiger
TheTiger avatar

4151 posts since 23/2/03

9 Mar 2021 23:35
TheTiger wrote: Bit of a random one but anyone into sports cards as an alternative investment? None of this NFT nonsense (still can’t get my head around it), but physical cards. Have been paying attention at Messi and Ronaldo rookie cards and stickers going from low thousands to over six figures in the last 6 months or so. An Erling Haaland signed and numbered 1/25 rookie card went for $125k a couple of days ago. Eek

Probably just went up another 25k Laughing out loud
Kadafi39
Kadafi39 avatar

2031 posts since 30/10/09

10 Mar 2021 13:37
Ulster_Blue wrote: Conveyancing mate. Based in NI so cost of living is very cheap. Have a private pension too just to diversify but if you get at the right price nothing beats bricks and mortar IMHO

What a coincidence! about 70% of my workload is a mix of resi/commercial conveyancing. I agree I quite like land, provided its freehold!

What's the conveyancing market like down there? I believe the process is slightly different, but you're still charging around 1% of the purchase price? Our fees have been battered down here on resi with all these conveyancing factories, market average is around 0.25-0.35% Cry
And many of these factories are paying estate agents and brokers £300+ for each referral! Don't know how its a viable business model, but they seem to be making money!
Kadafi39
Kadafi39 avatar

2031 posts since 30/10/09

10 Mar 2021 13:41
Essence wrote:
Kadafi39 wrote:
Ulster_Blue wrote:
swede wrote: ^report to class thread Sticking out tongue

Haha i guess a bit, but I'm a self employed lawyer, so no public sector pension. if i didnt start planning my retirement early i'll be working until i'm 70.

I'm in the same boat, same profession too. My father is also a self employed lawyer and his pension pot went tits up with equitable life.

So we also got in to the BTL game!

What area of law do you work in?

Same - albeit at the Bar. I was going to look at some holiday lets this year. I just hate hassle. But I am at the age were it needs to be done.

Never realised we had a barrister on here! You work in chambers?
Yeah I'm the same, a couple of our larger properties we rented to Warwick University, they pay about 70% of the market rent but they pay it for the full 12 months even though the properties are empty during summer and arrange everything, all you have to do is get cleaners in during summer and any repairs. Was hassle free, they signed a 5 year Lease in 2019 but exercised their break clause a few months ago and shut down the whole landlord scheme due to covid!

So now im back trying to rent each room separately! But might be worth checking if any local unis have a similar scheme where you are.
toof_ake
toof_ake avatar

1147 posts since 23/8/09

10 Mar 2021 23:47
If anyone wants some free money and is quick enough, just pile into a huge shirt against GameStop, make sure you have plenty of margin. Will be under $150 within a week.
smokie
smokie avatar

241 posts since 5/10/11

posted 11 Mar 2021 09:06, edited 11 Mar 2021 09:06
Doubt it. I´m long on Gamestop and pretty sure it´s gonna rise further.
Already cashed in half yesterday with 50% of my shares and made decent coin and will let the rest run to moon as they are free for me now.

Edit: Of course I´m no oracle and this is no financial advise. But let´s meet here again in a week and see how it went.
Rez
Rez avatar

8732 posts since 5/4/09

11 Mar 2021 21:04
I agree especially with the stimulus signed off, Reddit retail traders are gonna go a bit mad, fiending for this or the next thing, there will probably be another mini boom from weedstocks in the meantime too
MoB
MoB avatar

37223 posts since 31/8/04

12 Mar 2021 10:46
Hope nobody invested big in football index Shocked Eek
zappa1903
zappa1903 avatar

483 posts since 26/8/14

12 Mar 2021 10:53
MoB wrote: Hope nobody invested big in football index Shocked Eek

Was thinking about putting some money in before at the start of the season but glad I didn’t now.

https://beta.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/news/article/information-notice-suspension-of-licence-betindex-limited
thebigman
thebigman avatar

54 posts since 23/8/06

12 Mar 2021 12:22
Anyone holding XRP? Wondering whether to hold or not
Gaz
Gaz avatar

2668 posts since 20/10/05

12 Mar 2021 13:56
Deuce and Swede ploughed thousands into XRP iirc.