General Discussion: The iPhone thread


Show original post
swede
swede avatar

9265 posts since 21/3/09

19 Oct 2020 10:30
R wrote: just got 2 x se 2's not long ago as I prefer small phones. Thought it would be the smallest for a while Evil

need an HMP phone mate

morning mist
morning mist avatar

3418 posts since 29/5/05

19 Oct 2020 12:46
R
R avatar

13145 posts since 17/5/03

19 Oct 2020 13:17
Laughing out loud
freedom
freedom avatar

835 posts since 25/4/12

19 Oct 2020 20:30
i
swede wrote: have to say i am pretty impressed with the iphone 11 battery. first time it actually feels like there has been a battery upgrade

hugely impressed with this also. weird having nothing to moan about

is the new 12 considerably cheaper than when new ones normally come out? is it like 700 dollars? £500 ish actually seems reasonable for a new iPhone. not brought a new one outright in years but wouldn't mind paying that for a 12 - just smashed my 11 pro to pieces and I feel like I might as well just get the new one instead of a screen repair
zappa1903
zappa1903 avatar

388 posts since 26/8/14

19 Oct 2020 21:12
I was away to get a SE2 when it came out but after reading about the battery i decided against it. Now I’m thinking will I get an 11 for £470 on the 02 refresh deal or wait and get the mini for £699. It’s quite a big difference in price and I only really use my phone to check emails, place bets, WhatsApp and phone calls. That being said the mini looks an ideal size and should last me 4+ years.

Will there likely be any deals on it come Black Friday or is it too new and being an Apple product unlikely to get any discount?
ismvil
ismvil avatar

1479 posts since 16/9/11

20 Oct 2020 10:26
You might get some carrier deals but nothing substantial from apple imho
zappa1903
zappa1903 avatar

388 posts since 26/8/14

20 Oct 2020 10:37
Would be buying outright, noticed Very have excluded the latest range from there 10% off new members, wasn’t sure if there would maybe be places throwing in a free gift, if I was buying a mini a case and screen protector it soon mounts up
Rirawin
Rirawin avatar

9435 posts since 17/7/05

posted 20 Oct 2020 11:19, edited 20 Oct 2020 11:19
If someone you know has Perkbox through their employer, you can get 5% off John Lewis gift vouchers and purchase the the iPhone from them. Alternatively, if your employer runs a Tech Scheme (similar to the cycle2work scheme), you can save a bit through that, and you have the bonus of spreading the cost over 12 monthly payments that is deducted from your monthly wages.
saltz33
saltz33 avatar

342 posts since 1/10/12

18 Nov 2020 06:51
Has anyone bought the 12 mini? thoughts?
or should I just go for the 12…
themistake
themistake avatar

10769 posts since 20/2/06

18 Nov 2020 08:26
So £5m worth of iphones for knicked on the M1.
What do you do with 5,000 bricked phones?
Or what does a teenage robbing crew do with 1 bricked phone?

Can you unlock them? Or do you replace the hard drive?
swede
swede avatar

9265 posts since 21/3/09

18 Nov 2020 08:32
i was thinking about this the other day. i assume they would split them for parts; screens etc (the fate of numerous stolen/bricked iPhones in the uk)

or they can somehow wipe/flash the icloud lock… have heard it can be done but you may need a "donor" phone
Rirawin
Rirawin avatar

9435 posts since 17/7/05

18 Nov 2020 08:59
saltz33 wrote: Has anyone bought the 12 mini? thoughts?
or should I just go for the 12…

Depends on what you're upgrading from. Missus moved from a 6S to an iPhone 12 Pro and it was a huge leap for her. I'm still on the 11 Pro (going from a 6S) and that too was a giant leap. However, not much in it between the 12 Pro and 11 Pro. Either way, I'd say go for the 12 Pro if you're not bothered about the larger footprint (no beadle hand).
Kadafi39
Kadafi39 avatar

1858 posts since 30/10/09

posted 18 Nov 2020 11:04, edited 18 Nov 2020 11:04
swede wrote: i was thinking about this the other day. i assume they would split them for parts; screens etc (the fate of numerous stolen/bricked iPhones in the uk)

or they can somehow wipe/flash the icloud lock… have heard it can be done but you may need a "donor" phone

Parts aren't interchangeable in the iphone 12, theyre somehow coded to the original handset and using an original part from one iphone 12 in another iphone 12 results in errors and loss of functions. Theyve basically locked the iphone being fixed or serviced by anyone but themselves.

Theyll probably just try and sell them in a different region, though how you get 48 pallets of apple gear over a border is another issue in itself!
Guy does all the tests in this vid and shows you all the errors and issues swapping oem parts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY7DtKMBxBw
saltz33
saltz33 avatar

342 posts since 1/10/12

18 Nov 2020 20:01
Rirawin wrote:
saltz33 wrote: Has anyone bought the 12 mini? thoughts?
or should I just go for the 12…

Depends on what you're upgrading from. Missus moved from a 6S to an iPhone 12 Pro and it was a huge leap for her. I'm still on the 11 Pro (going from a 6S) and that too was a giant leap. However, not much in it between the 12 Pro and 11 Pro. Either way, I'd say go for the 12 Pro if you're not bothered about the larger footprint (no beadle hand).

Cheers fella.
Yes, the Mrs is still on a 6… so couldn't decide to either be cheap and get her a SE / XR as no doubt she will drop it in water or something… or roll the boat out and get her the new tech.
zappa1903
zappa1903 avatar

388 posts since 26/8/14

18 Nov 2020 20:35
saltz33 wrote:
Rirawin wrote:
saltz33 wrote: Has anyone bought the 12 mini? thoughts?
or should I just go for the 12…

Depends on what you're upgrading from. Missus moved from a 6S to an iPhone 12 Pro and it was a huge leap for her. I'm still on the 11 Pro (going from a 6S) and that too was a giant leap. However, not much in it between the 12 Pro and 11 Pro. Either way, I'd say go for the 12 Pro if you're not bothered about the larger footprint (no beadle hand).

Cheers fella.
Yes, the Mrs is still on a 6… so couldn't decide to either be cheap and get her a SE / XR as no doubt she will drop it in water or something… or roll the boat out and get her the new tech.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/10-back-on-iphone-12-range-with-code-iphone-12-mini-ps699-ps629-after-code-on-bnpl-12m-3592398

10% off if your happy buying from very using BNPL, still thinking about it myself or just get an XR, SE or 11 for a few hundred cheaper
TATE
TATE avatar

329 posts since 5/12/12

18 Nov 2020 21:08
Anyone seen AirPods on the cheap?
willesdengreen
willesdengreen avatar

624 posts since 10/6/10

20 Nov 2020 13:54
worth upgrading from X to the 12 Pro ?

only a couple years old, works well enough although battery life is a little lacking and 64GB doesnt seem like a lot any more
Heath
Heath avatar

2527 posts since 26/7/06

20 Nov 2020 14:09
TATE wrote: Anyone seen AirPods on the cheap?

£50 off the Pros on Amazon - https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Apple-MWP22ZM-A-AirPods-Pro/dp/B07ZPML7NP/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords;=airpods&qid;=1605881759&sr;=8-5
Kadafi39
Kadafi39 avatar

1858 posts since 30/10/09

20 Nov 2020 15:50
willesdengreen wrote: worth upgrading from X to the 12 Pro ?

only a couple years old, works well enough although battery life is a little lacking and 64GB doesnt seem like a lot any more

64gb was laughable 2 years ago! Pisstake pricing for storage with apple.
morgan
morgan avatar

1098 posts since 22/2/11

23 Nov 2020 17:36
Anyone got the iPhone 12 pro or max?

Sending mine back as the battery is fucking shit.
Have 5G turned off and still can’t get to teatime with average usage without needing a charge. Ridiculous.