General Discussion: Last film you saw?


Show original post
toin
toin avatar

1885 posts since 1/4/13

17 Nov 2020 14:24
Cheers, added all those to my letterboxd list Cool .
Also heard that if Godard is your thing then Truffaut is supposed to be a director you should check out as well.


TCB
TCB avatar

4496 posts since 5/7/11

17 Nov 2020 18:51
discobobulated wrote: You should check out Melville's films also. Le Samourai, Le Cercle Rouge and Un Flic are awesome. He was one of the bit actors in Breathless.

Cool
Fläsket
Fläsket avatar

3801 posts since 14/8/04

20 Nov 2020 01:07
TCB wrote:
discobobulated wrote: You should check out Melville's films also. Le Samourai, Le Cercle Rouge and Un Flic are awesome. He was one of the bit actors in Breathless.

Cool
thanks for these and the recommendations from the last page. sorted out my thanksgiving weekend watches.

will have a butcher's at the chicago seven tonight.
toin
toin avatar

1885 posts since 1/4/13

20 Nov 2020 08:06
Mank

Mixed feelings. It was pretty enjoyable and has a great performance by Gary Oldman, however it makes a huge amount of references to 1930s / 1940s hollywood movie companies and californian politics that Im not familiar with. It does get cleared up about half way through but I felt lost the first half.

Its story is based on the production of Citizen Kane which I havent seen so might be a good idea to watch that first.
illmurray
illmurray avatar

538 posts since 18/4/12

20 Nov 2020 08:39
toin wrote: Mank

Mixed feelings. It was pretty enjoyable and has a great performance by Gary Oldman, however it makes a huge amount of references to 1930s / 1940s hollywood movie companies and californian politics that Im not familiar with. It does get cleared up about half way through but I felt lost the first half.

Its story is based on the production of Citizen Kane which I havent seen so might be a good idea to watch that first.

Out of interest how did you watch it? IIRC it's released in cinemas in Europe today but obviously England's are closed?

I'm rewatching Citizen Kane rn in preparation, but apart from the Social Network I've never been a massive fan of David Fincher.
toin
toin avatar

1885 posts since 1/4/13

20 Nov 2020 10:07
Theaters opened again in the Netherlands yesterday and I went for it.

Im not a huge Fincher fan but I did enjoy se7en and gone girl. Social Network was decent tho Jesse Eisenberg played him so well I wanted to punch him through the screenLaughing out loud
TCB
TCB avatar

4496 posts since 5/7/11

20 Nov 2020 10:16
The Railway Man. Hadn't even heard of it before. A tough watch but a good one.
gonzoking
gonzoking avatar

811 posts since 13/3/11

20 Nov 2020 22:15
Jungleland . Nice peice of filmaking about boxing, fuk fav Jack O Connell is great as always, charlie hunnam is ok, by todays standards not a bad film at all
Fläsket
Fläsket avatar

3801 posts since 14/8/04

21 Nov 2020 00:52
Burt wrote:
Meatease wrote: The trial of the Chicago 7 was good and worth a watch!!
^^^this - was surprised by this as it didn't receive much hype.
I quite enjoyed it.
I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix (perhaps by outside intervention) buried it in people's feeds to prevent further social unrest.
swiftus
swiftus avatar

1240 posts since 1/7/09

22 Nov 2020 10:13
Sorry To Bother You

Weird as fuck, very unsubtle commentary on modern life
YLAup
YLAup avatar

5482 posts since 5/9/11

22 Nov 2020 11:44
^init
Mr.X.
Mr.X. avatar

3026 posts since 23/6/13

22 Nov 2020 14:46
Arkansas. John Malkovich was good. The film was entertaining in parts but also slow and boring at times particularly once Vince Vaughan’s character came on.
TCB
TCB avatar

4496 posts since 5/7/11

22 Nov 2020 20:37
Possessor. David Cronenberg's son Brandon's sci-fi, mind-melt horror. This film is properly fucked up but in a good way.
illmurray
illmurray avatar

538 posts since 18/4/12

posted 22 Nov 2020 20:47, edited 22 Nov 2020 20:47
swiftus wrote: Sorry To Bother You

Weird as fuck, very unsubtle commentary on modern life

I rated Sorry to Bother You. Unsubtle is true but it's the last thing that the film is trying to do. And I definitely didn't expect what the film became - it's one of those films where 40 minutes in you still haven't worked out how it's going to play out and that's quite a rare thing for 'hollywood'.

Also while I'm commenting anyway I just watched The Rider to prep for Chloé Zhao's upcoming oscar contender Nomadland. Really recommend it. It's rodeos, masculinity and disability in 2017 South Dakota. Really really good.
toin
toin avatar

1885 posts since 1/4/13

22 Nov 2020 21:00
The rider is so goodCool
kid unknown
kid unknown avatar

5421 posts since 8/12/01

23 Nov 2020 11:41
Sex and drugs and rock and roll.

Currently on IPlayer

Thought it was decent.
swiftus
swiftus avatar

1240 posts since 1/7/09

23 Nov 2020 12:32
illmurray wrote:
swiftus wrote: Sorry To Bother You

Weird as fuck, very unsubtle commentary on modern life

I rated Sorry to Bother You. Unsubtle is true but it's the last thing that the film is trying to do. And I definitely didn't expect what the film became - it's one of those films where 40 minutes in you still haven't worked out how it's going to play out and that's quite a rare thing for 'hollywood'.

Yeah, this is definitely true about not knowing where the film was going to go. It did feel a bit long (not in a good way) near the end, and I think the final third could've been better.