General Discussion: Last film you saw?


Show original post
MLI
MLI avatar

4419 posts since 6/10/09

23 Jan 2017 05:11
ballso wrote: hacksaw ridge - so, so good. defo recommended viewing. all around fantastic.

I liked Fury. Would I like this?
ballso
ballso avatar

631 posts since 26/1/09

23 Jan 2017 12:17
MLI wrote:
ballso wrote: hacksaw ridge - so, so good. defo recommended viewing. all around fantastic.

I liked Fury. Would I like this?

i think so, yeah. it has fantastic action sequences, and feels pretty authentic in what it shows (fury was a bit too over the top, imo). i'm a big ww2 geek though, but yeah, defo give it a go. i thought it was pretty great. a solid 8/10 for me.
gonzoking
gonzoking avatar

777 posts since 13/3/11

23 Jan 2017 21:00
Young Frankenstein . A bit embarassed it took me so long to get round to this, turns out it's all true what the critics say, a comedy masterpiece, Gene Wilder and Mel Brooks at the top of their game.
morgan
morgan avatar

842 posts since 22/2/11

23 Jan 2017 21:31
Moonlight - Great. Almost made me cry Smiling
Arrival - Unsure. Liked it but felt a bit lightweight.
The Greasy Strangler - Weird as fuck
Deepwater Horizon - Had low expectations but really enjoyed it.
Hacksaw Ridge - Good but not great.

I've not raved about a film to anyone the past year really.
Victoria is my fav though in last 12 months.
Great film and one fuckin take!!!

I have Julieta and Toni Erdmann ready to go. Hopefully they live up to the hype.
discobobulated
discobobulated avatar

707 posts since 21/4/10

23 Jan 2017 22:16
The Grand Budapest Hotel. Hadn't seen & find Anderson a bit hit & miss. This was a hit with Fiennes doing comedy very well & good styling.
ballso
ballso avatar

631 posts since 26/1/09

23 Jan 2017 22:54
morgan wrote: Moonlight - Great. Almost made me cry Smiling
Arrival - Unsure. Liked it but felt a bit lightweight.
The Greasy Strangler - Weird as fuck
Deepwater Horizon - Had low expectations but really enjoyed it.
Hacksaw Ridge - Good but not great.

I've not raved about a film to anyone the past year really.
Victoria is my fav though in last 12 months.
Great film and one fuckin take!!!

I have Julieta and Toni Erdmann ready to go. Hopefully they live up to the hype.

shout on victoria, best film i've seen in as long as i can remember Cool

post up about julieta and erdmann, i've got those to watch too.
TROYBOY
TROYBOY avatar

535 posts since 28/2/12

24 Jan 2017 00:16
The greasy strangler, what a film.

bullshit artist!
MLI
MLI avatar

4419 posts since 6/10/09

24 Jan 2017 04:33
ballso wrote:
MLI wrote:
ballso wrote: hacksaw ridge - so, so good. defo recommended viewing. all around fantastic.

I liked Fury. Would I like this?

i think so, yeah. it has fantastic action sequences, and feels pretty authentic in what it shows (fury was a bit too over the top, imo). i'm a big ww2 geek though, but yeah, defo give it a go. i thought it was pretty great. a solid 8/10 for me.

You thought Fury was over the top? What "WW2 geek" doesn't know about Audie Murphy's exploits?? The finale of the film is loosely based on one of his actions and it isn't any more incredible than what Audie Murphy ACTUALLY did.
jimmoleum
jimmoleum avatar

1304 posts since 15/5/12

28 Jan 2017 19:34
T2 - Not very good. Story was lacking and the tone was off. Trainspotting felt exciting and original, whereas this just bumbles along. Never good when the makers of a great film do a sequel years later, spend a few months on the script prior to filming and have it boxed off within a year. 6.1/10
ODB
ODB avatar

3430 posts since 21/6/06

28 Jan 2017 20:24
I was expecting it to be shit, but really enjoyed it 8/10
joeyjojo
joeyjojo avatar

3981 posts since 24/8/06

29 Jan 2017 00:09
Moonlight and Manchester by the Sea both 10/10 beyond amazing
morgan
morgan avatar

842 posts since 22/2/11

29 Jan 2017 02:31
Under the Shadow - Excellent psychological drama. Wouldn't call it horror but some scary moments.
adidaskev
adidaskev avatar

1001 posts since 30/11/11

30 Jan 2017 13:36
T2 - Really enjoyed it although a 'story direction' was a little lacking and it came across almost like a nostalgic tribute at points although this was meant I think.

All in all - Ubercool
padawan
padawan avatar

4065 posts since 27/6/03

30 Jan 2017 15:37
jimmoleum wrote: T2 - Not very good. Story was lacking and the tone was off. Trainspotting felt exciting and original, whereas this just bumbles along. Never good when the makers of a great film do a sequel years later, spend a few months on the script prior to filming and have it boxed off within a year. 6.1/10

Saw DB interviewed saying he made it cos fans were clamoring for it. So not motivated by story etc. Was always gonna be a bit of a stinker.
padawan
padawan avatar

4065 posts since 27/6/03

30 Jan 2017 15:38
gonzoking wrote: Young Frankenstein . A bit embarassed it took me so long to get round to this, turns out it's all true what the critics say, a comedy masterpiece, Gene Wilder and Mel Brooks at the top of their game.

still cry laughin !!
padawan
padawan avatar

4065 posts since 27/6/03

posted 30 Jan 2017 15:44, edited 30 Jan 2017 15:44

LION

Loved it - perfect sunday night film, starts sad, gets sadder…..oh and Parents beware! Saroo will have you cheering & sobbing in equal measure. Why he isn't winning the awards is beyond me.
DEV P. also excellent.

Just a really good movie!!!!!

Ps started LaLa Land before LION - got to the second song - Na not havin it!
caol87
caol87 avatar

2025 posts since 28/6/14

30 Jan 2017 17:48
Arrival, not very good, don't understand all the hype, waste of 2 hours
joeyjojo
joeyjojo avatar

3981 posts since 24/8/06

30 Jan 2017 18:03
Lion and Moonlight leaked by the way… anyone know if Hacksaw Ridge has ?
rural
rural avatar

17553 posts since 26/9/06

30 Jan 2017 18:08
Good quality version of Moonlight?
joeyjojo
joeyjojo avatar

3981 posts since 24/8/06

30 Jan 2017 18:25
Yeah standard rip with the little message every now and agaian