General Discussion: Last film you saw?


Show original post
EssexBoyII
EssexBoyII avatar

6857 posts since 5/6/07

28 Sep 2020 09:19
The Lighthouse - Sound, cinematography and Willem Dafoes performance all mind bogglingly good. R Pats was also really good but his performance was a touch uneven. It’s a tough watch as far as following dialogue and plot but with films like these, that’s intentional I take it. The B&W massively adds to things, nothing gimmicky
MoB
MoB avatar

36902 posts since 31/8/04

28 Sep 2020 09:27
TCB wrote: Saint Maud. Definitely in my top 10 of 2020.

How?? Didn't think it was out at the cinema yet???
TCB
TCB avatar

4373 posts since 5/7/11

28 Sep 2020 09:34
Took a punt on Picture House's surprise film last week and it was that Cool
illmurray
illmurray avatar

526 posts since 18/4/12

28 Sep 2020 12:04
EssexBoyII wrote: The Lighthouse - Sound, cinematography and Willem Dafoes performance all mind bogglingly good. R Pats was also really good but his performance was a touch uneven. It’s a tough watch as far as following dialogue and plot but with films like these, that’s intentional I take it. The B&W massively adds to things, nothing gimmicky

Yeah, Willem Dafoe's performance in that film is on another level. It took me a while but if you haven't seen it then of course check out The Witch, not quite equal to The Lighthouse but still an excellent film. But then again The Lighthouse doesn't have Finchy from The Office in it so there you go.
MoB
MoB avatar

36902 posts since 31/8/04

28 Sep 2020 12:27
TCB wrote: Took a punt on Picture House's surprise film last week and it was that Cool

Result Cool
EssexBoyII
EssexBoyII avatar

6857 posts since 5/6/07

posted 29 Sep 2020 23:22, edited 29 Sep 2020 23:22
illmurray wrote:
EssexBoyII wrote: The Lighthouse - Sound, cinematography and Willem Dafoes performance all mind bogglingly good. R Pats was also really good but his performance was a touch uneven. It’s a tough watch as far as following dialogue and plot but with films like these, that’s intentional I take it. The B&W massively adds to things, nothing gimmicky

Yeah, Willem Dafoe's performance in that film is on another level. It took me a while but if you haven't seen it then of course check out The Witch, not quite equal to The Lighthouse but still an excellent film. But then again The Lighthouse doesn't have Finchy from The Office in it so there you go.

Yeah agreed the witch just as much
toin
toin avatar

1855 posts since 1/4/13

30 Sep 2020 13:01
Dogman, from 2018
A bit lightweight but I enjoyed it. Good performances
illmurray
illmurray avatar

526 posts since 18/4/12

2 Oct 2020 12:24
Rocks is on Netflix as of yesterday (not to be confused with On The Rocks). Just watched it and highly recommend it. It's a really honest portrayal of mostly working class kids in Hackney from lots of different backgrounds - well acted, charming, funny and moving. Films like this seem to be quite rare in the UK right now. Also it's great to finally see a film that has a yes/no rubber in it.