General Discussion: Last Purchase (non fashion) pics thread ...


Show original post
Sayword
Sayword avatar

5346 posts since 1/4/07

posted 16 Dec 2020 21:06, edited 16 Dec 2020 21:06
Seventyfour wrote: I've never used one but seem like alot of money for what they are to me.
You could have got an Mpc live for that or personaly I would have bought an Elektron Digitact and a korg Monologue for less or maybe a Roland tr-08s
Not knocking it or anything just not sure I understand it.
Let me know how you get on as I am a little intrigued.
trust me I battled with all of these ones sans the korg monologue. Was even thinking about buying a Maschine as a beginner.

But besides the MPC live, none of them were really in all in one, and I always figure worse comes to worse, the OP 1 has a high resale value above all of the others.
discobobulated wrote: Hit us up when you get your first floor filler finished. Sure you'll have fun getting to know how it works.
MrW wrote: SayCool

Thanks and will do
Crackajack
Crackajack avatar

7803 posts since 21/4/05

posted 16 Dec 2020 21:27, edited 16 Dec 2020 21:27
What genres are you into?

Just reminded of this site which I spent hours on at college (well, an earlier version like http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/) https://music.ishkur.com/
Sayword
Sayword avatar

5346 posts since 1/4/07

posted 16 Dec 2020 21:35, edited 16 Dec 2020 21:35
Crackajack wrote: What genres are you into?

Just reminded of this site which I spent hours on at college (well, an earlier version like http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/) https://music.ishkur.com/
Sample based hip hop
Cold wave
Synth punk(think N8Noface)
Industrial
Og house, techno, dnb, jungle
Funk (og)

I plan on making those styles, but I'm really interested in making anything that I've never heard before. Something new, and after processing on the computer, something that doesn't sound cheap in childish.

thank you guys for all of the convo, as a beginner I'm going to need it. Checking the site now
toin
toin avatar

1978 posts since 1/4/13

17 Dec 2020 00:18
Nice purchase, it's a very peculiar machine Cool
Borrowed a friends and it's strange but great!

Currently faffing about with a korg sample sequencer.
Mosoona
Mosoona avatar

359 posts since 25/5/15

posted 17 Dec 2020 18:38, edited 17 Dec 2020 18:38
If anyone wants a decent software synth to use with MIDI, the u-he stuff is really good and on sale - https://www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/komplete/u-he-offer-2020/

Diva is a good one if you know your way around waveforms and knobs (oo er), Todd Terje is a fan. Hive 2 is a bit better for presets, more of a toy box to play with, great price on both though.
Sayword
Sayword avatar

5346 posts since 1/4/07

17 Dec 2020 21:03
toin wrote: Nice purchase, it's a very peculiar machine Cool
Borrowed a friends and it's strange but great!

Currently faffing about with a korg sample sequencer.
Mosoona wrote: If anyone wants a decent software synth to use with MIDI, the u-he stuff is really good and on sale - https://www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/komplete/u-he-offer-2020/

Diva is a good one if you know your way around waveforms and knobs (oo er), Todd Terje is a fan. Hive 2 is a bit better for presets, more of a toy box to play with, great price on both though.

Good stuff, yea this is a completely different kind of thing; I was expecting a planned workflow, bit so far its crazy experimentation that leads to a workflow lok
phelen
phelen avatar

6602 posts since 16/8/06

posted 17 Dec 2020 21:57, edited 17 Dec 2020 21:57
Sayword wrote:
OP is dope, I had 2 in my life both sold because the headphone jack noise, but its the most fun I have had with an instrument. I wouldn't mind getting another one but not at the current prices now.

I would have personally because we have similar taste in music get the Maschine Plus standalone, since we're talking about the upper echelon of prices.

I owned a MPC live, came from the 2000XL making boom bap but I just don't gel with the Live, I still use my MPC 1000 JJOSXL to make beats. The great thing with the Live would be tracking out audio to my daw which is a pain in the ass.

However, OP-1 is a great choice mate.
Sayword
Sayword avatar

5346 posts since 1/4/07

posted 17 Dec 2020 23:32, edited 17 Dec 2020 23:32
phelen wrote:
Sayword wrote:
OP is dope, I had 2 in my life both sold because the headphone jack noise, but its the most fun I have had with an instrument. I wouldn't mind getting another one but not at the current prices now.

I would have personally because we have similar taste in music get the Maschine Plus standalone, since we're talking about the upper echelon of prices.

I owned a MPC live, came from the 2000XL making boom bap but I just don't gel with the Live, I still use my MPC 1000 JJOSXL to make beats. The great thing with the Live would be tracking out audio to my daw which is a pain in the ass.

However, OP-1 is a great choice mate.

Thanks I got a ton of questions, but im assuming that once I learn it, I will be able to just go in and make an efficient workflow?

Some reviews were saying its a good machine to set up the skeleton of your work, and with post production you can get amazing music

Im new so its expected but it's def mostly experimenting with sounds atm, i probably should have got the mpc live, but I am really looking forward to taking an mpc approach on this machine, which is probably ridiculous, but I love the things I saw that it can do

I thought I would really need to watch music theory videos on YouTube in order to learn how to make music, but I was surprised that I was able to start making music and recording it within an hour. Reasons why I didn't get many of the other machines, as they seem more studious
gaffer
gaffer avatar

520 posts since 13/4/05

17 Dec 2020 23:53

Good luck with the journey Sayword and if you find any good resources please share. I've been dabbling on and off with FL Studio and Ableton recently but haven't really found a software approach inspiring so just got myself a TR-6S as an entry level way of seeing if i can do it with hardware. Been having a blast just dicking about with it and tempted to get something like a MC-101 to go with it.
Sayword
Sayword avatar

5346 posts since 1/4/07

18 Dec 2020 00:12
gaffer wrote: Good luck with the journey Sayword and if you find any good resources please share. I've been dabbling on and off with FL Studio and Ableton recently but haven't really found a software approach inspiring so just got myself a TR-6S as an entry level way of seeing if i can do it with hardware. Been having a blast just dicking about with it and tempted to get something like a MC-101 to go with it.
cheers and same to you. I would have went that route because I used to have FL studio way back in the day when it first came out in the early 2000s. I had the same feeling you did about not being Hands-On enough. Once I learned how to use this thing I will buy a computer daw for post-processing
gaffer
gaffer avatar

520 posts since 13/4/05

18 Dec 2020 00:42
Yeah I’ve hooked the TR-6S up to Ableton for recording and to add other tracks, but to be honest I’m more enjoying playing it ‘live’ like an instrument. Difficult to imagine not having a DAW as part of your workflow though. I think ultimately an MPC one will be the one I go for if I stick with it. Love the idea of having a load of Roland boutique gear but haven’t got the space, cash or time needed. Keep us posted Cool
phelen
phelen avatar

6602 posts since 16/8/06

18 Dec 2020 00:52
Sayword wrote:
phelen wrote:
Sayword wrote:
OP is dope, I had 2 in my life both sold because the headphone jack noise, but its the most fun I have had with an instrument. I wouldn't mind getting another one but not at the current prices now.

I would have personally because we have similar taste in music get the Maschine Plus standalone, since we're talking about the upper echelon of prices.

I owned a MPC live, came from the 2000XL making boom bap but I just don't gel with the Live, I still use my MPC 1000 JJOSXL to make beats. The great thing with the Live would be tracking out audio to my daw which is a pain in the ass.

However, OP-1 is a great choice mate.

Thanks I got a ton of questions, but im assuming that once I learn it, I will be able to just go in and make an efficient workflow?

Some reviews were saying its a good machine to set up the skeleton of your work, and with post production you can get amazing music

Im new so its expected but it's def mostly experimenting with sounds atm, i probably should have got the mpc live, but I am really looking forward to taking an mpc approach on this machine, which is probably ridiculous, but I love the things I saw that it can do

I thought I would really need to watch music theory videos on YouTube in order to learn how to make music, but I was surprised that I was able to start making music and recording it within an hour. Reasons why I didn't get many of the other machines, as they seem more studious

Yeah the workflow is quite different if you come from a daw or say MPC. Its quite restrictive in certain ways as there's no quantization, which is time correction being the most obvious. However, this never stopped Madlib, MF Doom etc and I enjoy the sloppy beats and synths not being on time and sounding robotic. Another is the limited tracks, as there's 4 but you can bounce audio and resample to get the tracks back if needed. But yeah OP-1 is a super dope choice for making music, it can definitely be a backbone for making tracks. When I had the OP-1 I had it paired with a MPC,The MPC was for chopping samples,and drums.

BTW if you have the money, look into Maschine Plus, I love MPCs and used them all my life but the standalone Maschine which has come out looks and sounds like money.

Any more questions or need help let me know.

Sayword
Sayword avatar

5346 posts since 1/4/07

posted 18 Dec 2020 02:14, edited 18 Dec 2020 02:14
phelen wrote:
Sayword wrote:
phelen wrote:
Sayword wrote:
OP is dope, I had 2 in my life both sold because the headphone jack noise, but its the most fun I have had with an instrument. I wouldn't mind getting another one but not at the current prices now.

I would have personally because we have similar taste in music get the Maschine Plus standalone, since we're talking about the upper echelon of prices.

I owned a MPC live, came from the 2000XL making boom bap but I just don't gel with the Live, I still use my MPC 1000 JJOSXL to make beats. The great thing with the Live would be tracking out audio to my daw which is a pain in the ass.

However, OP-1 is a great choice mate.

Thanks I got a ton of questions, but im assuming that once I learn it, I will be able to just go in and make an efficient workflow?

Some reviews were saying its a good machine to set up the skeleton of your work, and with post production you can get amazing music

Im new so its expected but it's def mostly experimenting with sounds atm, i probably should have got the mpc live, but I am really looking forward to taking an mpc approach on this machine, which is probably ridiculous, but I love the things I saw that it can do

I thought I would really need to watch music theory videos on YouTube in order to learn how to make music, but I was surprised that I was able to start making music and recording it within an hour. Reasons why I didn't get many of the other machines, as they seem more studious

Yeah the workflow is quite different if you come from a daw or say MPC. Its quite restrictive in certain ways as there's no quantization, which is time correction being the most obvious. However, this never stopped Madlib, MF Doom etc and I enjoy the sloppy beats and synths not being on time and sounding robotic. Another is the limited tracks, as there's 4 but you can bounce audio and resample to get the tracks back if needed. But yeah OP-1 is a super dope choice for making music, it can definitely be a backbone for making tracks. When I had the OP-1 I had it paired with a MPC,The MPC was for chopping samples,and drums.

BTW if you have the money, look into Maschine Plus, I love MPCs and used them all my life but the standalone Maschine which has come out looks and sounds like money.

Any more questions or need help let me know.
I was actually looking into this maschine last year but lost track of the timeline, it was certainly the second choice.

Thank you for the insight on the quantization. And the tactileness of the buttons. But I have to get my fingers together anyway, plus I should probably play more sober
Meatease
Meatease avatar

347 posts since 22/7/11

1 Jan 2021 16:06


Not sure if there’s a dog thread but got this lil guy yesterday. Can see extreme eye bags already
Dee
Dee avatar

11880 posts since 22/11/07

1 Jan 2021 16:32
Ubercool
haxby
haxby avatar

217 posts since 1/12/12

1 Jan 2021 17:02
Cool
MrW
MrW avatar

2938 posts since 1/8/11

1 Jan 2021 17:39
Cool
morning mist
morning mist avatar

3473 posts since 29/5/05

posted 1 Jan 2021 20:05, edited 1 Jan 2021 20:05
Cool

whats his name and breed?
pentonville
pentonville avatar

900 posts since 12/3/12

1 Jan 2021 20:48

Vase for the wife’s bday. Bottle for scale..
Meatease
Meatease avatar

347 posts since 22/7/11

1 Jan 2021 21:26
morning mist wrote: Cool

whats his name and breed?

Named him Carlos and he’s a Cockapoo x Poodle. In the crate training stages and it’s pretty intense. Done a lot of reading but nothing could have really prepared me until now!