General Discussion: The life advice thread. Never do, say, eat or drink anything without asking how to do it in here first!


Show original post
swiftus
swiftus avatar

1405 posts since 1/7/09

18 Apr 2021 08:46
ismvil wrote:
swiftus wrote: Anyone have a Clubhouse invite they can spare?

PM if you need one

I did about a month ago… Oops
Razorlight123
Razorlight123 avatar

4841 posts since 13/1/10

posted 18 Apr 2021 09:15, edited 18 Apr 2021 09:15
Awks…
illmurray
illmurray avatar

563 posts since 18/4/12

21 Apr 2021 11:25
Sure similar (ish) things have been asked before but I ended up with my mate in Copenhagen insisting on lending me his Nintendo Switch last year (great guy). It's been so long since I've been back there and without knowing when I will be able to get back I'm gonna send it back to him.

Was just going to send it Royal Mail insured up to £250 which is about £20 delivery but now I've got thinking about export duties etc. Is the best thing to do to be totally honest about what's in there? And he's not going to get a fat duty charge on the other end is he?

Sorry if this is better suited to a more specific thread but can't beat this one really. Cheers everyone.
joeyjojo
joeyjojo avatar

4514 posts since 24/8/06

21 Apr 2021 11:50
Hahaha same thing happened to me. I didn’t want to risk it for above reasons so just ended up giving him cash for it Laughing out loud
phikz
phikz avatar

3144 posts since 14/4/09

posted 28 Apr 2021 13:28, edited 28 Apr 2021 13:28
illmurray wrote: Sure similar (ish) things have been asked before but I ended up with my mate in Copenhagen insisting on lending me his Nintendo Switch last year (great guy). It's been so long since I've been back there and without knowing when I will be able to get back I'm gonna send it back to him.

Was just going to send it Royal Mail insured up to £250 which is about £20 delivery but now I've got thinking about export duties etc. Is the best thing to do to be totally honest about what's in there? And he's not going to get a fat duty charge on the other end is he?

Sorry if this is better suited to a more specific thread but can't beat this one really. Cheers everyone.

You might have already sorted it but there's a flat 160kr handling charge from customs and 25% on top of the item value. However, I'm pretty sure if you can somehow provide proof such as e-mails/texts that it's returning an item to a friend then there shouldn't be any charges. This will likely have to be done on your friend's end with Postnord once it's in the country though.
Doogan
Doogan avatar

955 posts since 13/4/14

29 Apr 2021 09:35
My work is moving to a 'balanced' working model which basically means I will be wfh for the foreseeable with the odd trip into the office to see my colleagues (guessing once a month sort of thing).

It's great news that I wont need to see any whoppers that I dont like and saves traveling/getting ready etc. I will also see my daughter much more than if I was away all day. On the negative side I think it will encourage my laziness. I canned my gym yesterday as that is in town. I'm 37, so it wont impact me that much from a social perspective but I do feel sorry for the younger people in the company. I have people in the team that joined the company during the first lockdown and have never met anyone. They've never had the opportunity to make a twat of themselves in the pub.

Interested to know what other people are making of the new ways of working. Overall I am for it.

Crackajack
Crackajack avatar

7865 posts since 21/4/05

29 Apr 2021 10:43
Where I work are being super-cautious but in a couple of months it's going to be everyone allowed back for typically 2-3 days a week.

We have always had a mix of home and remote, with flexible WFH (Monday and Friday office empty) and ironically were running out of office space before all this.


Miss the pub / office chats more than I thought I would so glad it's on the horizon and any idea of 5 days in the office is dead now.
Doogan
Doogan avatar

955 posts since 13/4/14

29 Apr 2021 11:24
Friday would be the day I'd like to go in so I can get a few pints after. My commute is about 3 miles down the road though.
Dee
Dee avatar

11973 posts since 22/11/07

29 Apr 2021 11:32
Looking like a steady wfh policy, day in the office every fortnight or once a month, probs a Friday morning then hit the pub in the afternoon with the team.

Anto
Anto avatar

3984 posts since 19/1/12

29 Apr 2021 12:03
I used to work 100% from office before Covid, switched to 100% wfh and appreciate some aspects, but would like a balance between the two. 3 days in the office, 2 from home would be ideal for me.
I could stretch to 3 at home, not more
Rirawin
Rirawin avatar

9495 posts since 17/7/05

posted 29 Apr 2021 12:18, edited 29 Apr 2021 12:18
Changed jobs in the new year and now working for a Canadian company. 100% wfh, and when international travel is properly back up quarterly trips to the head office in Toronto. Do miss an office environment and the incidental conversations, or going out for lunches/coffees/drinks after work, etc. basically the in person social aspect of working in an office Cry

Missus is also 100% wfh now. However, when her office reopens she'll probably be going in couple of times a month. Not that she has far to commute what with it a 30 minute walk to the office Laughing out loud
MoB
MoB avatar

37109 posts since 31/8/04

posted 29 Apr 2021 12:24, edited 29 Apr 2021 12:24
Rirawin wrote: Changed jobs in the new year and now working for a Canadian company. 100% wfh, and when international travel is properly back up quarterly trips to the head office in Toronto.

Missus is also 100% wfh now. However, when her office reopens she'll probably be going in couple of times a month. Not that she has far to commute what with it a 30 minute walk to the office Laughing out loud

In a situation like this will you not miss interaction with people and only ever seeing eachother day to day? I'm relishing the 2 days a week i'm in, for the healthy time spent apart if anything. Honestly couldn't do %100 wfh. Edit: That came across a bit cunty, it's really not i just would miss people.
MrW
MrW avatar

2968 posts since 1/8/11

posted 29 Apr 2021 12:32, edited 29 Apr 2021 12:32
Have pretty much worked 100% from home in my current role for last 5 or so years. We used to have quarterly onsites over a day or two, with an occasional social night out arranged, but not had one for well over 18 months.

In my previous role I was away from home a lot, last project I was on was in Aberdeen 5 days a week (I live on the Kent coast Laughing out loud ) which was an absolute killer and led me to taking my current wfh role.

Can't see myself ever wanting to go back to anything that requires even a once weekly office visit. Why waste hours commuting when I could be working, and why work all day when I can go run, swim, do the school run, do whatever during the day around my work. Felt that way pre-lockdown, all lockdown's done is reinforce how wfh is entirely sustainable and at least as productive, if not more so.

I work with a lot of consultants who were previously on client sites most / all week, had zero home life, spent hours travelling, didn't see their kids etc. and had become totally used to their work / life balance being non-existent. Lockdown initially threw them - they struggled with not being in an office environment - but over the last 14 months they've adapted, so much so now most can't see themselves wanting to go back to 'normal' and miss out on breakfast with the kids, school runs, lunch runs and a sensible work / life balance.

That said, most of the people I'm referring to are older - late 30s / 40s. Think the younger crowd are more keen to get back to the social aspect of getting back into the office.
Rirawin
Rirawin avatar

9495 posts since 17/7/05

29 Apr 2021 12:36
MoB wrote:
Rirawin wrote: Changed jobs in the new year and now working for a Canadian company. 100% wfh, and when international travel is properly back up quarterly trips to the head office in Toronto.

Missus is also 100% wfh now. However, when her office reopens she'll probably be going in couple of times a month. Not that she has far to commute what with it a 30 minute walk to the office Laughing out loud

In a situation like this will you not miss interaction with people and only ever seeing eachother day to day? I'm relishing the 2 days a week i'm in, for the healthy time spent apart if anything. Honestly couldn't do %100 wfh. Edit: That came across a bit cunty, it's really not i just would miss people.

Yeah I already do. Edited my comment just before you posted Smiling
JustinCredible
JustinCredible avatar

2667 posts since 11/6/08

29 Apr 2021 13:59
I've gone from 100% in the office to 100% wfh and we now have the option of going into the office (limited number of desks so on a first come first served booking system) as well as having to go in every now and then for the big face to face meetings.

I'm fairly certain the business will insist on us going back in full time once the government guidelines change / the 2 metre rule is removed.

Will be a shame as I have a three year old daughter and have a much closer bond with her than I did with either of my first two children just because I'm around more (even though the home office door is often shut when on video calls etc.) With the first two, I was up and out before 8 each morning and rarely home before 7 most nights so barely saw them during the week. Can do the school run on a morning and be back before 9am which is amazing, not at all looking forward to being forced to go back in five days a week.
blackham
blackham avatar

1845 posts since 17/7/13

posted 29 Apr 2021 14:14, edited 29 Apr 2021 14:14
Ditto above for most comments, used to be 100% office now (forcefully) 100% at home. However I can't wait to get back into the office - would love flexibility to wfh when you want, but also from an office environment, too.

I'm stuck in a tiny 2 bedroom flat in central London, no outdoor space, no spare room for an office - my current desk, which has been the same for the past year, has been my kitchen table. I need multiple screens to do my job, so I pretty much haven't had a table to eat at for the past year or so. It gets draining. Work becomes everything, there is no difference between you being in your 'office' or being in your living room: wake up, straight on your laptop, eat lunch in front of your laptop, never really get away from 'work'.

Going back into the office will be a huge welcome back for a lot of 'young' people (I'm 28 ), not just for social interaction but for how cramped up some people have become wfh.
JustinCredible
JustinCredible avatar

2667 posts since 11/6/08

29 Apr 2021 14:27
Dream for me would be 100% flexibility i.e. not only work from home but also to not have to live close to work. Even if you had to do the odd day in the office once or twice a month and just take a night in a hotel on the chin. Got a few big bonus payouts lined up in the next couple of years so think I'll just stick it out until 2023 then go back with the ultimatum of give me the freedom / flexibility to choose or will move on to somewhere else that will.
wayward sole
wayward sole avatar

177 posts since 23/8/11

29 Apr 2021 14:45
Ive been 100% in the office during covid Unfortunately.
MrW
MrW avatar

2968 posts since 1/8/11

29 Apr 2021 14:45
blackham wrote: I'm stuck in a tiny 2 bedroom flat in central London, no outdoor space, no spare room for an office - my current desk, which has been the same for the past year, has been my kitchen table. I need multiple screens to do my job, so I pretty much haven't had a table to eat at for the past year or so. It gets draining. Work becomes everything, there is no difference between you being in your 'office' or being in your living room: wake up, straight on your laptop, eat lunch in front of your laptop, never really get away from 'work'.

Feel for you in that situation, that's hard work. Can totally understand the desire to get back into a different environment for that reason.

Missus and I have said so many times over the last 14 or so months how lucky we are to live where we are (on the coast) and have what we have (dedicated office each at home and plenty of outdoor space). I'm sure my opinion of wfh would be different if we didn't have that.
Dee
Dee avatar

11973 posts since 22/11/07

29 Apr 2021 14:49
@Blackham - seems to be the main pattern that we can see, those younger or without space are more inclined to want to go back in, those older seem to be the other way, but not all.

We've got an open-door policy, anyone can go back in, just seems that most want to remain wfh.

Do not miss the commute at all, must be saving circa 4K even though some of the bills have gone up.