General Discussion: The life advice thread. Never do, say, eat or drink anything without asking how to do it in here first!


Show original post
spitfiredealer
spitfiredealer avatar

2517 posts since 12/6/10

27 Jun 2021 09:40
What’s the best way to transfer money abroad on a regular basis?

Anyone use Wise app?
Hanto
Hanto avatar

3116 posts since 30/11/09

27 Jun 2021 10:39
spitfiredealer wrote: What’s the best way to transfer money abroad on a regular basis?

Anyone use Wise app?

Use it all the time for Zenmarket. By far the cheapest option and really easy to use. It starts to remember which currency you've used frequently and defaults as well which makes things easier.
spitfiredealer
spitfiredealer avatar

2517 posts since 12/6/10

27 Jun 2021 15:31
Nice will give it a go. Cheers
ismvil
ismvil avatar

1812 posts since 16/9/11

27 Jun 2021 16:05
Wise is great if it’s personal to personal. If you’re sending to businesses PM me with where and I can better advise. Full disclosure I did some consulting for Wise when they were called Transferwise.
spitfiredealer
spitfiredealer avatar

2517 posts since 12/6/10

27 Jun 2021 18:15
Thanks mate, but it's just for sending money out to my Dad who is living in Thailand
illwill
illwill avatar

4137 posts since 17/5/04

27 Jun 2021 20:20
Old rascal Eye-wink
leemc77
leemc77 avatar

2610 posts since 24/10/06

27 Jun 2021 20:34
spitfiredealer wrote: Thanks mate, but it's just for sending money out to my Dad who is living in Thailand

Snayes uncle Gary lives out that way iirc
ismvil
ismvil avatar

1812 posts since 16/9/11

27 Jun 2021 20:37
spitfiredealer wrote: Thanks mate, but it's just for sending money out to my Dad who is living in Thailand

Wise all the way then.
Goldie
Goldie avatar

4818 posts since 17/10/07

posted 28 Jun 2021 17:04, edited 28 Jun 2021 17:04
Need a new lawnmower, lawn is about 250m2 so was leaning towards petrol as electric is obvs old hat and battery seems a faff/expensive for a decent one. Any recommendations?
MrW
MrW avatar

3015 posts since 1/8/11

posted 28 Jun 2021 17:59, edited 28 Jun 2021 17:59
Depends on your budget but I replaced our ancient electric Bosch with one of these in April based on the SP version getting voted best mower for the money in several places.

As our garden's flat, we have a few trees to mow round and is pretty much same size as yours, didn't seem worth getting self-propelled and glad we did, it's easier to control imo. Petrol was a no-brainer, had enough of pissing around with extension leads - makes life so much easier.

Did consider the equivalent Honda but reviews weren't as favourable, and mulch kit's around £100 vs £35 for the Husqvarna.
Goldie
Goldie avatar

4818 posts since 17/10/07

28 Jun 2021 19:21
Budget of about £300, had originally thought about self propelled but lawn is pretty flat and it just seems an extra gimmick/thing to go wrong so will likely go for push as i'd get more for my money. Have you had to do any maintenance/annual service on it?
MrW
MrW avatar

3015 posts since 1/8/11

28 Jun 2021 20:48
Just had to change the oil after about 8hrs running in, very simple & takes 5 mins. Will need to change oil every 20hrs or so iirc now, spark plug change once a year and sharpen blade when required with one of these. Bought 5 litres of petrol when I got the mower, still have more than half left, and 1.5l bottle of 4-stroke oil should do you for a year's mowing.

Seems like loads of places have sold out but decent price here, think I only paid a few quid less when I got mine and that was the cheapest I could find.
SJ
SJ avatar

625 posts since 27/11/11

29 Jun 2021 09:34
RickRude wrote:
SJ wrote: I've had Ring and currently got Nest. The Nest is levels above the Ring.

What makes it better mate - I'm leaning to the Nest as it looks better and already have Google Home etc.

Sorry, missed this.

Build quality of the Ring is dogshit in comparison and the actual software side of it is miles off what Google is doing.
JustinCredible
JustinCredible avatar

2691 posts since 11/6/08

30 Jun 2021 16:08
Sky cranked my prices up to £140 a month and when I rang them they would only give me the deal I was on before if I sign up for another 18 months.

Moving house imminently so don't really want to do that & given the Prem isn't on at the minute I don't really need Sky Sports (and don't watch any of the other Sky channels) so told Sky to just cancel the TV.

The free to air channels still work but they want me to post the sky boxes back. Anyone know what I need to buy in order to be able to watch the free to air channels? Google reckons a freeview box?

Got smart TV's in both living rooms which have netflix/prime video/disney apps pre loaded and I have those subscriptions separately so just need to be able to watch BBC/ITV/Channel 4 live.

Crackajack
Crackajack avatar

7960 posts since 21/4/05

30 Jun 2021 16:30
The smart TV will have freeview built in surely, so just need an aerial socket going in + use the tuning menu to find the channels.
TROYBOY
TROYBOY avatar

906 posts since 28/2/12

30 Jun 2021 20:18
JustinCredible wrote: Sky cranked my prices up to £140 a month and when I rang them they would only give me the deal I was on before if I sign up for another 18 months.

Moving house imminently so don't really want to do that & given the Prem isn't on at the minute I don't really need Sky Sports (and don't watch any of the other Sky channels) so told Sky to just cancel the TV.

The free to air channels still work but they want me to post the sky boxes back. Anyone know what I need to buy in order to be able to watch the free to air channels? Google reckons a freeview box?

Got smart TV's in both living rooms which have netflix/prime video/disney apps pre loaded and I have those subscriptions separately so just need to be able to watch BBC/ITV/Channel 4 live.

never heard of anyone giving the box back. is it a Q BOX?
Seventyfour
Seventyfour avatar

9373 posts since 6/10/05

30 Jun 2021 20:19
You have to give them back now
swede
swede avatar

9827 posts since 21/3/09

30 Jun 2021 20:26
need IPTV mate. got a new supplier and its ace
LFC
LFC avatar

5586 posts since 14/6/11

30 Jun 2021 20:30
I’ve had iptv recommended by carl lewis for years now. Fucked sky off totally the robbing cunts. Infact I’ve got 2 sticks and running them both. £85 for a year for both and nord vpn is pennies. Runs perfect as long as you have good internet.
stoney
stoney avatar

17757 posts since 22/1/05

1 Jul 2021 03:02
LFC wrote: I’ve had iptv recommended by carl lewis for years now. Fucked sky off totally the robbing cunts. Infact I’ve got 2 sticks and running them both. £85 for a year for both and nord vpn is pennies. Runs perfect as long as you have good internet.