Random Questions: Living in london (finding somewhere)


Show original post
Heath
Heath avatar

2545 posts since 26/7/06

30 Nov 2017 09:46
-DiscoTits- wrote: Anything worthwhile seeing this weekend? Down from 1st til 4th. Exhibitions? Gigs? DJ residency nights? Food/Drink etc.

Chemical Brothers at Printworks, got some spare tickets if you're interested.
themistake
themistake avatar

10810 posts since 20/2/06

1 Dec 2017 10:31
Anyone looking for a room in Stoke Newington/Dalston?

Got my room going from 1st Jan, bit of flexibility with date if needed.
end of terrace house in gated mews.
Double with en suite, walk in shower.
massive terrace that gets the sun all day.
sharing with just 1 other.
brand new mattress on bed//fitted wardrobe//fully furnished// private off street parking.






illwill
illwill avatar

4117 posts since 17/5/04

posted 1 Dec 2017 15:17, edited 1 Dec 2017 15:17
Nice, very minimalist
figurine
figurine avatar

5985 posts since 14/5/07

posted 9 Jan 2018 14:10, edited 9 Jan 2018 14:10
.
schtoop
schtoop avatar

13028 posts since 9/4/07

17 May 2018 07:24
If a ticket inspector beeps your card, will it show up if you haven’t tapped in? Or are they seeing if you have a travel card?
swede
swede avatar

9501 posts since 21/3/09

17 May 2018 08:06
yes it will. that's what they are checking for "active" trips on your oyster
themistake
themistake avatar

10810 posts since 20/2/06

17 May 2018 10:08
bank card?
they never used to be able to check, dunno if thats still the case.
Crackajack
Crackajack avatar

7852 posts since 21/4/05

17 May 2018 10:32
Where are first time buyers going at the moment in London? Anywhere that has a semblance of value still but is on the up? (E.g Walthamstow 5 years ago)
swede
swede avatar

9501 posts since 21/3/09

17 May 2018 11:17
sis just bought a 2 bed newbuild in battersea for £600k (40% off with help to buy). dingy end of Battersea but 10 min walk to Clapham junction etc. seems decent for london
Rez
Rez avatar

8543 posts since 5/4/09

posted 17 May 2018 15:32, edited 17 May 2018 15:32
Cracka I'm hopefully completing on my first place in leytonstone by september - bit more reasonable than walthamstow
schtoop
schtoop avatar

13028 posts since 9/4/07

17 May 2018 18:51
swede wrote: yes it will. that's what they are checking for "active" trips on your oyster

Are you 100% sure? I asked my friend this today and they said they are only checking for a valid travel card as it's happened to them before

e.g if you have a zone 1-2 travel card and you get stopped in brixton it flashes green on their gadget, however if they check it and you're in zone 3 it will still flash green but because you're out of your travel card zones you'l get fined
carl lewis
carl lewis avatar

23965 posts since 14/10/04

17 May 2018 19:22
schtoop wrote:
swede wrote: yes it will. that's what they are checking for "active" trips on your oyster

Are you 100% sure? I asked my friend this today and they said they are only checking for a valid travel card as it's happened to them before

e.g if you have a zone 1-2 travel card and you get stopped in brixton it flashes green on their gadget, however if they check it and you're in zone 3 it will still flash green but because you're out of your travel card zones you'l get fined

Nar you just tell them that you pay the difference at the other end.
Crackajack
Crackajack avatar

7852 posts since 21/4/05

18 May 2018 19:21
Thanks for the info lads.

Swede, are you not worried about the potential for negative equity on a new build or the Government loan element being used as a cash-cow? Was looking to borrow less but have a standard loan, did you consider this?
deuce
deuce avatar

13998 posts since 21/1/08

18 May 2018 22:55
Crackajack wrote: Where are first time buyers going at the moment in London? Anywhere that has a semblance of value still but is on the up? (E.g Walthamstow 5 years ago)
check places on the lizzy line, thats what we did
deuce
deuce avatar

13998 posts since 21/1/08

19 May 2018 12:18
Schtoop report to the pikey thread.
Maybe spend less money on palace footballs and other useless tat to strategically place in the background of your pics, and you might be able to afford a £3 tube journey
swede
swede avatar

9501 posts since 21/3/09

19 May 2018 12:55
Crackajack wrote: Thanks for the info lads.

Swede, are you not worried about the potential for negative equity on a new build or the Government loan element being used as a cash-cow? Was looking to borrow less but have a standard loan, did you consider this?

It wasn’t me, it’s my sister and her boyfriend

I know exactly where you are coming from though, I’m in 2 minds about it all. This 40% off newbuilds for first time buyers just artificially inflates prices because more people are now wrestling for those flats… at the same time, the mortgage is half the price of the rent on their current 1 bed in Brixton so it’s a result for them. It’s a tricky situation. They will both be on good money in the next few years so will be able to remortgage to cover the equity loan quite easily
Crackajack
Crackajack avatar

7852 posts since 21/4/05

19 May 2018 14:12
Ah sorry missed that. Yeah, I think the policy is madness and essentially funnels public money to house builders.

Aside from that though, estate agent friends say the '600k' flats in particular are tricky to value and may dip on resale as there won't be a pool of people with the 40% loan boost available to buy them on the usual market.

In an ideal world I think buying for less on the market as a no chain purchaser (I doubt we could get a 600k mortgage!) is less risky.
swede
swede avatar

9501 posts since 21/3/09

19 May 2018 14:20
Crackajack wrote: Aside from that though, estate agent friends say the '600k' flats in particular are tricky to value and may dip on resale as there won't be a pool of people with the 40% loan boost available to buy them on the usual market.

exactly. however, if I was in their situation and had the means I would definitely do it… but agree that your tactic would be wiser!
Blofeld
Blofeld avatar

239 posts since 30/12/15

20 May 2018 08:48
and, funnily enough, bonuses for the property fat cats are going stratospheric.
andymakesglasses
andymakesglasses avatar

20520 posts since 26/1/06

25 Jul 2018 14:23
Anyone in London looking for a desk space?

A friend of mine has just set up a new studio in Clapton and has desk spaces available.

Hopefully this link should work, otherwise:

Desk Space available, £150 per month, everything included.

Hi

I have 7 desk spaces available for rent in my studio in Clapton, just off lower Clapton Rd and a short stroll to Hackney Downs. The shared space has been created as a separate unit built within our larger atelier created to design and manufacture eyewear and sunglasses.

Ideal for people working in design, graphic, website development, marketing, photographers, writers, freelance accountants anyone that needs an affordable space to get them out of the house and working alongside other professionals in a clean and vibrant space.

The whole space could also be rented out to a start up business that requires an inexpensive home to get up and running.

There's a myriad of food options right outside the door, the Mermaid pub is just across the road to cater for all your craft beer and burger needs. Palm 2 on Clapton Pond for anything organic, the Mermaid chipper for the best, fat chips and falafel wraps in Hackney, The Clapton Hart has a great beer garden and for all the Hackney vegans, the Black Cat cafe is a ten minute walk down Clarence Rd.

The studio offers:

- 24H ACCESS
- HIGH SPEED FIBRE WIFI
- ALL BILLS INCLUDED
- KITCHEN FACILITIES
- LUMINOUS & BRIGHT SPACE WITH WINDOWS

Mail me at brian@bonafidemcginn.com