General Discussion: The Motoring Thread Incorporating All Motor Vehicles (Including Motor Cycles.)


Show original post
bill
bill avatar

4865 posts since 5/8/09

posted 16 Jan 2017 12:17, edited 16 Jan 2017 12:17
I can understand why barely no one sells cars private anymore.

I got a call from a guy within an hour of my ad going live. He sounded genuine, asked the right questions and then proceeded to negotiate saying he's only got so much, and would have to borrow a bit to get my car etc etc…

He negotiated down a bit, I was hoping I'd sell the car quick so left a bit of wiggle room in the price. Guy lived 200 miles away but said he would come up tomorrow. I met him at the train station and it became apparent on the drive back he was not the same guy I spoke to on the phone. The guy I picked up said that the guy on the phone was his good friend who found him my car and now he's come to look at it and hopefully buy it.

He looks at the car for all of 2 minutes and says 'right, what's your bank details?"…..So I say that something isn't right here, no one buys a 22-23k car like this, without asking to see any paper work or go for a drive.

But whatever, he does look at some paperwork and then I give him my bank details and his mate on the phone does a transfer, his story is his mate on the phone is arranging the finance etc. At this point I'm fully expecting to call the bank and be told the money isn't there as I think I'm being scammed. However, bank assures me the money has gone through and cannot be reversed.

It's at this point where I realise what's happened. The money has been paid by a prestige car dealer and it's the car dealers name going on the registration form. So basically they've been lying to me the whole time pretending as though the guy collecting the car was buying it for himself. I said to the guy with me, 'this car is gonna be on the dealer's website next week isn't it?'….he said it won't be and assures me it's for him but it's BS.

So that was it, what a shitty way to do business. In hindisght, as soon as I realized they were lying I should have said, right I'm refunding your money and you can fuck off back down south on the train. I knew I would have sold the car to the next person, probably for more.

I know I've got my money but the way it happened just left me bitter. 10 years owning a car that I loved. I instantly regretted selling it and today wish I hadn't. No idea what to get now to be honest.

Although my car was expensive in terms of running costs, petrol/tax etc. It had lost all it's value and had stopped depreciating.

I paid £49k for it in 2007, I sold it for £22250 and no doubt the dealer will have it up at £25k+….. Of the 40 cars like mine that were up for sale when mine was, only 1 other was a private ad and it seems like the same thing for most cars upwards of £20k nowadays.
toocan
toocan avatar

612 posts since 7/11/07

16 Jan 2017 12:27
Thats held its money well. Congrats on the sale, at least you didnt have to deal with a stream of dreamers and waste your free time with em
toof_ake
toof_ake avatar

1103 posts since 23/8/09

16 Jan 2017 12:30
bill wrote: I can understand why barely no one sells cars private anymore.

I got a call from a guy within an hour of my ad going live. He sounded genuine, asked the right questions and then proceeded to negotiate saying he's only got so much, and would have to borrow a bit to get my car etc etc…

He negotiated down a bit, I was hoping I'd sell the car quick so left a bit of wiggle room in the price. Guy lived 200 miles away but said he would come up tomorrow. I met him at the train station and it became apparent on the drive back he was not the same guy I spoke to on the phone. The guy I picked up said that the guy on the phone was his good friend who found him my car and now he's come to look at it and hopefully buy it.

He looks at the car for all of 2 minutes and says 'right, what's your bank details?"…..So I say that something isn't right here, no one buys a 22-23k car like this, without asking to see any paper work or go for a drive.

But whatever, he does look at some paperwork and then I give him my bank details and his mate on the phone does a transfer, his story is his mate on the phone is arranging the finance etc. At this point I'm fully expecting to call the bank and be told the money isn't there as I think I'm being scammed. However, bank assures me the money has gone through and cannot be reversed.

It's at this point where I realise what's happened. The money has been paid by a prestige car dealer and it's the car dealers name going on the registration form. So basically they've been lying to me the whole time pretending as though the guy collecting the car was buying it for himself. I said to the guy with me, 'this car is gonna be on the dealer's website next week isn't it?'….he said it won't be and assures me it's for him but it's BS.

So that was it, what a shitty way to do business. In hindisght, as soon as I realized they were lying I should have said, right I'm refunding your money and you can fuck off back down south on the train. I knew I would have sold the car to the next person, probably for more.

I know I've got my money but the way it happened just left me bitter. 10 years owning a car that I loved. I instantly regretted selling it and today wish I hadn't. No idea what to get now to be honest.

Although my car was expensive in terms of running costs, petrol/tax etc. It had lost all it's value and had stopped depreciating.

I paid £49k for it in 2007, I sold it for £22250 and no doubt the dealer will have it up at £25k+….. Of the 40 cars like mine that were up for sale when mine was, only 1 other was a private ad and it seems like the same thing for most cars upwards of £20k nowadays.

What's the problem, you agreed on a price, guy came down and bought it, total hassle free sale, sounds pretty ideal? But you're sour because a business might sell it for more? What's the difference between that and you PXing it and a dealer putting it on their forecourt for more money?
generic_guy
generic_guy avatar

8839 posts since 16/9/02

16 Jan 2017 12:47
It's a shitty way for them to do business but it sounds like you got an OK price and very little hassle.

Get a comfortable barge estate and something fun to run at the same time. You'll appreciate them both more and it shouldn't cost you too much more.
swede
swede avatar

5978 posts since 21/3/09

16 Jan 2017 13:13
bill got finessed Laughing out loud
MrW
MrW avatar

2170 posts since 1/8/11

16 Jan 2017 13:52
Sound like a painless transaction and you got the money you wanted.

Easily offset by that bargain £35 Debenhams pleather imo Cool
bill
bill avatar

4865 posts since 5/8/09

16 Jan 2017 14:14
toof_ake wrote:
bill wrote: I can understand why barely no one sells cars private anymore.

I got a call from a guy within an hour of my ad going live. He sounded genuine, asked the right questions and then proceeded to negotiate saying he's only got so much, and would have to borrow a bit to get my car etc etc…

He negotiated down a bit, I was hoping I'd sell the car quick so left a bit of wiggle room in the price. Guy lived 200 miles away but said he would come up tomorrow. I met him at the train station and it became apparent on the drive back he was not the same guy I spoke to on the phone. The guy I picked up said that the guy on the phone was his good friend who found him my car and now he's come to look at it and hopefully buy it.

He looks at the car for all of 2 minutes and says 'right, what's your bank details?"…..So I say that something isn't right here, no one buys a 22-23k car like this, without asking to see any paper work or go for a drive.

But whatever, he does look at some paperwork and then I give him my bank details and his mate on the phone does a transfer, his story is his mate on the phone is arranging the finance etc. At this point I'm fully expecting to call the bank and be told the money isn't there as I think I'm being scammed. However, bank assures me the money has gone through and cannot be reversed.

It's at this point where I realise what's happened. The money has been paid by a prestige car dealer and it's the car dealers name going on the registration form. So basically they've been lying to me the whole time pretending as though the guy collecting the car was buying it for himself. I said to the guy with me, 'this car is gonna be on the dealer's website next week isn't it?'….he said it won't be and assures me it's for him but it's BS.

So that was it, what a shitty way to do business. In hindisght, as soon as I realized they were lying I should have said, right I'm refunding your money and you can fuck off back down south on the train. I knew I would have sold the car to the next person, probably for more.

I know I've got my money but the way it happened just left me bitter. 10 years owning a car that I loved. I instantly regretted selling it and today wish I hadn't. No idea what to get now to be honest.

Although my car was expensive in terms of running costs, petrol/tax etc. It had lost all it's value and had stopped depreciating.

I paid £49k for it in 2007, I sold it for £22250 and no doubt the dealer will have it up at £25k+….. Of the 40 cars like mine that were up for sale when mine was, only 1 other was a private ad and it seems like the same thing for most cars upwards of £20k nowadays.

What's the problem, you agreed on a price, guy came down and bought it, total hassle free sale, sounds pretty ideal? But you're sour because a business might sell it for more? What's the difference between that and you PXing it and a dealer putting it on their forecourt for more money?

Did you even read post? It's been 10 years since I sold a car. I spent the best part of 2 hours trying to work out if I was being scammed, or going to be robbed as it was *obvious* I was being lied to. I've had people try and steal my car 4 times, so please forgive me for thinking Mr Obvious Lying Cunt standing in my kitchen might have tried to rob the car at any moment.

Because I was so occupied thinking about being scammed/robbed I couldn't see the wood from the trees, I was expecting the bank to say the money was not there, it was only when it went through that I realised what actually was going on, maybe that's naive but I haven't sold a car for 10 years. By that time the penny dropped had the money in my account.

I have ZERO problems selling to a dealer, Zero. I also have zero problems negotiating with a dealer. I had my bottom line. I priced my car to sell and it sold. If the guy on the phone had been honest and upfront from the start, I would have felt totally at ease during the whole thing because I would have known I was dealing with a VAT registered "legit" company and there would be no doubts in my mind regarding the money and who I was dealing with. The reality was they came up with some half arsed story for the sake a few hundred quid and continued to lie, even after they had the keys. I had no idea this is how a prestige car dealer with millions of pounds worth of stock would go about buying their cars.

I don't care what anyone says, it's a shitty way to do business and completely unnecessary.
Kadafi39
Kadafi39 avatar

1472 posts since 30/10/09

16 Jan 2017 15:09
Agreed, that is poor of them to lie and act as thought they aren't going to flip it for a profit, but on the other hand you got a hassle free sale.

£22,250 is a pretty good price from a trader imo, 3-4 years ago you could get a B7 RS4 for around 20k so they pretty much stopped depreciating some time ago and values may have even risen slightly. Values for clean low miler examples will go up in the next 5 odd years, with the death of naturally aspirated engines and V8's for mass manufacturers.

Even though you lost your love for it I think it will be a very hard car to replace.
JustinCredible
JustinCredible avatar

2187 posts since 11/6/08

1 Feb 2017 11:20
Did you decide on a replacement Bill? Interested to hear what you went for and why as I've still not made my mind up
bill
bill avatar

4865 posts since 5/8/09

posted 12 Feb 2017 19:48, edited 12 Feb 2017 19:48
Sorry for the late reply. I went for a A6 Avant, 3 litre Quattro Black Edition. Got offered 3.5% apr on finance as well, so took that.


I test drove the Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux, C Class 250d AMG Line and the GLC 250D AMG-Line. For me, the Audi was just in a different class to the other cars I was considering. Obviously it's a 3l so ride and performance was much better but also the interior was also a step above. I started out looking at CLS Shooting brakes but in the flesh I thought they were ugly and they're due a replacement soon.
2925mark
2925mark avatar

1893 posts since 18/10/07

12 Feb 2017 20:01
Kadafi39 wrote: Even though you lost your love for it I think it will be a very hard car to replace.

Couldn't agree more
sodomgomorra
sodomgomorra avatar

645 posts since 24/3/14

12 Feb 2017 20:13
Does it have Vtec tho?