General Discussion: The Motoring Thread Incorporating All Motor Vehicles (Including Motor Cycles.)


Show original post
NickMSM
NickMSM avatar

419 posts since 21/8/13

9 Jan 2021 19:25
Trent wrote: I know that jeeps and the bigger motors in general don't get a lot of praise in this thread. I bought a Wrangler Sahara plus last month and I'm absolutely in love with it.


Like that. I have a Defender but wouldn't mind a Wrangler as well for the family car.
swede
swede avatar

9970 posts since 21/3/09

9 Jan 2021 20:25
would a professional "detailer" be able to get these scuffs out or should i take it to bodyshop? or should i try and have a go myself trying to treat it/repaint? any good resources if so? think someone linked some stuff here before

car not worth loads and have no intention of selling it for many years so don't feel it needs to be showroom condition to maintain any value. i would resent spending more than £500 getting it sorted; hence willing to give it a go myself


joe6886
joe6886 avatar

922 posts since 16/11/08

9 Jan 2021 20:56
Realistically it needs painting, you could maybe polish some of it off. The rear quarter looks the worst bit, bumper might be salvageable of a fashion.

https://www.yourspraypaints.com/product/farecla-surface-finishing-products/g3-advanced-liquid-compound/farecla-g3-advanced-liquid-compound-500ml-bottle/?gclid=CjwKCAiAxeX_BRASEiwAc1QdkXxpkq6G76qij-U3Bx-4O-Uf_dhp-Nv_SR5llKIAeCFE96BEdCHeeRoCF5gQAvD_BwE

Get some of that and a touch up stick in the right colour and have a go, worst case you end up getting it painted anyway. If you decide to try the buffing compound make sure you use it with a wet cloth and take it easy or you’ll flat the paint.
swede
swede avatar

9970 posts since 21/3/09

9 Jan 2021 21:25
really appreciate the reply joe but could you give me a bit more layman explanation/a video on what you are talking about? what does that liquid do? then you paint over it?
joe6886
joe6886 avatar

922 posts since 16/11/08

9 Jan 2021 21:36
It’s buffing compound, it’s basically a polish but it’s what body shops use and not just stuff you’ll find in Halfords.

So obviously just wash the dirt off, get a cloth and dip it in water, squeeze off the majority of the water and just use the polish on the scratches leave for a minute and buff off. See what it looks like, I wouldn’t have a go at painting it yourself as frankly if you don’t know what you’re doing it’ll look 10 times worse than a few scratches.
morgan
morgan avatar

1136 posts since 22/2/11

9 Jan 2021 21:44
If it’s under the clear no amount of buffing will sort it.
But it’s a BMW so you are una better position as they have more clear to play with.
You can’t say by pics here. I reckon I could polish it but you need someone who won’t fuck it up.
Gaz
Gaz avatar

2668 posts since 20/10/05

9 Jan 2021 23:16
Golden rule is if they disappear when wet then it's just the clear coat.
Gaz
Gaz avatar

2668 posts since 20/10/05

9 Jan 2021 23:17
That being said - you better get it sorted sharpish before your nan sees what you've done to the car she gave you.
rural
rural avatar

17816 posts since 26/9/06

9 Jan 2021 23:29
Ooosh
M4att
M4att avatar

184 posts since 3/2/12

10 Jan 2021 01:42
ginner wrote: Anyone got experience with the current generation RS5? Driven the old one and it was too hard riding for a daily. tempted by the current gen. Especially like the green colour they do.

Not driven a new one but I have driven a recent RS6 Performance, felt pretty compliant but adaptive suspension has come on a long way since the previous generation.

That said, I’ve always thought the RS5 looks a bit bland. RS6 is the daddy and probably better residually too Cool
M4att
M4att avatar

184 posts since 3/2/12

10 Jan 2021 01:44
Swede - polishing will improve but looks a bit too deep. Ideally you need a polishing machine for good results, I’d call on a smart repairer personally.
toocan
toocan avatar

882 posts since 7/11/07

10 Jan 2021 09:50
swede wrote: …. i would resent spending more than £500 getting it sorted; hence willing to give it a go myself

Had much worse than this that needed filling and spraying ain’t ever paid more than 150, these sort of scrapes I’ve paid about 90 quid… Speak to your local garage who they sub the work too, they’ll need a vin number for a colour match and come to your house and sort it and cure it on ya drive… it will look brand new… don’t use chips away FYI

andymakesglasses
andymakesglasses avatar

20613 posts since 26/1/06

10 Jan 2021 10:04
NickMSM wrote: I have a Defender

What have you got? Any thoughts on the ownership experience would be interesting.

I'm thinking very generally about a 2000 to 2010 era 110 (up to a theoretical 15 grand) but recently started wondering if I'd be better off with something newer and more comfortable (and boring).

Seemingly decent examples of 2010 era Range Rovers and BMW X5s, 2017ish Nissan X-Trails and 2010ish Volvo XC90s (which are pretty ugly) are all available within that budget and would offer more creature comforts and mod cons but I think would end up costing more to run and wouldn't hold their value as well. More likely to become obsolete too due to availability of parts.

ps I'm not getting a Porsche or vintage Lancia.
Toasted
Toasted avatar

1712 posts since 15/10/09

10 Jan 2021 10:17
Literally everyone I know that isn’t a farmer with a Defender has had them nicked.

Very popular with the local chavs.
swede
swede avatar

9970 posts since 21/3/09

10 Jan 2021 10:17
toocan wrote:
swede wrote: …. i would resent spending more than £500 getting it sorted; hence willing to give it a go myself

Had much worse than this that needed filling and spraying ain’t ever paid more than 150, these sort of scrapes I’ve paid about 90 quid… Speak to your local garage who they sub the work too, they’ll need a vin number for a colour match and come to your house and sort it and cure it on ya drive… it will look brand new… don’t use chips away FYI

Nice toocan - thanks. I’ll send some emails with pics around a bit today. Also need to get all wheels refurbed
Heath
Heath avatar

2551 posts since 26/7/06

11 Jan 2021 10:11
You want a family or a more 'fun' car Andy?

I've got the 'new' SZ5 Suzuki Jimny and I absolutely love it.
toocan
toocan avatar

882 posts since 7/11/07

11 Jan 2021 10:18
Kadafi39 wrote:
toocan wrote:
Kadafi39 wrote: Porsche's shade of red is a little bright imo, I prefer a slightly darker more brick/terracotta shade of red.

I had black leather in every car before my current 2 cars which now have fox red in the beemer, which is a lovely dark red shade and tan/cognac 2 tone in the cayenne and I would never go back to black leather now, just makes the interior feel so dull and boring. Having anything other than black does really lift the interior and make it feel more special.

Ace combo that… Agreed on black interior, some photos online tend to make it look garish (like mine looks proper dog cock red) but when your sat behind the wheel/in person it just feels more premium not as vivid.

If I could spec from scratch id go Iceland green


Sorry mate, I missed your response.

Thanks, I am still enjoying it! Yes red leather definitely does look brighter in photos.

I've never seen Iceland green irl but that looks very classy with the wood.

Is that a new cayenne or panamera? The new interiors really are stunning.

911 (992) looks lovely inside, just released a manual now very tempted!
toocan
toocan avatar

882 posts since 7/11/07

11 Jan 2021 10:19
swede wrote:
toocan wrote:
swede wrote: …. i would resent spending more than £500 getting it sorted; hence willing to give it a go myself

Had much worse than this that needed filling and spraying ain’t ever paid more than 150, these sort of scrapes I’ve paid about 90 quid… Speak to your local garage who they sub the work too, they’ll need a vin number for a colour match and come to your house and sort it and cure it on ya drive… it will look brand new… don’t use chips away FYI

Nice toocan - thanks. I’ll send some emails with pics around a bit today. Also need to get all wheels refurbed

Same process mate garages sub it out to local contractors, they can do on the drive if they ain't too bad, circa 80 quid a corner unless its a split rim then its a wheel off job
NickMSM
NickMSM avatar

419 posts since 21/8/13

11 Jan 2021 12:35
andymakesglasses wrote:
NickMSM wrote: I have a Defender

What have you got? Any thoughts on the ownership experience would be interesting.

I'm thinking very generally about a 2000 to 2010 era 110 (up to a theoretical 15 grand) but recently started wondering if I'd be better off with something newer and more comfortable (and boring).

Seemingly decent examples of 2010 era Range Rovers and BMW X5s, 2017ish Nissan X-Trails and 2010ish Volvo XC90s (which are pretty ugly) are all available within that budget and would offer more creature comforts and mod cons but I think would end up costing more to run and wouldn't hold their value as well. More likely to become obsolete too due to availability of parts.

ps I'm not getting a Porsche or vintage Lancia.

I love them - but most people wouldn't! They are different - that's what I like about it, but they do leak, they are noisy, uncomfortable, slow and the turning circle of a large tanker. I use mine to tow occasionally and a bit of off road so can justify it. Prices are going up and up, 15k might get you a reasonable one but you have to buy on condition - I paid about 16k for mine 18 months ago, reckon it's easily 20k+ now but it has low mileage and is pretty clean. Rust is the biggest issue on chassis/bulkhead etc. I have had other modern 4x4s, Discovery/Discovery Sport/GLC and much prefer the Defender but I know most people wouldn't - it all depends on what you're looking for.

As said above, they are targets for theft so you would need plenty of security layers.

Here is my 90 Puma below, now has a DRL bumper on it and a couple of other bits.

andymakesglasses
andymakesglasses avatar

20613 posts since 26/1/06

11 Jan 2021 13:56
Cool

Because there are so many companies producing parts and upgrades for Defenders compared to the other cars I mentioned it strikes me that there's a certain amount of future-proofing against obsolescence. I also quite like the idea of just replacing and upgrading as you go along.