General Discussion: Official holiday thread


Show original post
Lucas82
Lucas82 avatar

451 posts since 26/10/09

18 Feb 2012 21:16
Booked up my flights to LA 21st June - 9th July. Going to rent a car and drive LA - Las Vegas - San fran - LA.

Be grateful for recommendations for hotels & other places to visit between these cities….
india
india avatar

5661 posts since 31/10/05

18 Feb 2012 21:17
san luis obispo.

i did the trains, san. nightmare! but that was on a budget.
MrW
MrW avatar

2533 posts since 1/8/11

18 Feb 2012 21:25
I dd SF > LA > LV > Yosemite > SF roadtrip for honeymoon, covered about 2k miles in 3 weeks. How long you got?
Lucas82
Lucas82 avatar

451 posts since 26/10/09

18 Feb 2012 21:35
Cheers India, I'll look in to San Luis…

I'm out there for 2 n' half wks W.

inversesquare
inversesquare avatar

6666 posts since 7/6/08

18 Feb 2012 21:46
DuffMan wrote: Assuming you mean the Algarve. It's nice, good countryside for cycling/walking etc, lots of nice little towns as you go inland + up mountains and shit. V. nice beaches, best surf will be on the point with the west coast and on the west coast itself. Lots of bars in the tourist towns and on busy beaches. Only thing is, coast is RAMMED during the summer, seriously too busy. Late summer might be good though, depending how late you're talking (wikipedia reckons 450k live there and there are more than a million people knocking about in summer Laughing out loud )

Cheers for this; it sounds really nice actually. It's planned for Sepetmer so hopefully there will be space to move then. Is it the same sort fo vibe as the Pacific coast of France?
San
San avatar

10493 posts since 14/11/05

18 Feb 2012 21:55
Cheers India. Some of the train services are supposed to be pretty good, fully air con'd etc so looking into that as don't want to be sat in a car for hours on end
orwat
orwat avatar

30 posts since 14/2/12

18 Feb 2012 22:05
Lucas82 wrote: Booked up my flights to LA 21st June - 9th July. Going to rent a car and drive LA - Las Vegas - San fran - LA.

Be grateful for recommendations for hotels & other places to visit between these cities….


On the way from LA to LV go to Six Flags. Go on the front row of a ride called Tatsu - best ride I ever been on..
But the queue times are mental. ppl literally wait for 3 hours for all the rides so get a flash pass. it seems a bit much bit much but worth it imo.
carl lewis
carl lewis avatar

23639 posts since 14/10/04

18 Feb 2012 22:11
Orwat any pics fam?
Lucas82
Lucas82 avatar

451 posts since 26/10/09

18 Feb 2012 22:21
orwat wrote:
Lucas82 wrote: Booked up my flights to LA 21st June - 9th July. Going to rent a car and drive LA - Las Vegas - San fran - LA.

Be grateful for recommendations for hotels & other places to visit between these cities….


On the way from LA to LV go to Six Flags. Go on the front row of a ride called Tatsu - best ride I ever been on..
But the queue times are mental. ppl literally wait for 3 hours for all the rides so get a flash pass. it seems a bit much bit much but worth it imo.

You wont get me on it bruv…. never been on a ride whats goes upside down. Oops
orwat
orwat avatar

30 posts since 14/2/12

18 Feb 2012 22:49
carl lewis wrote: Orwat any pics fam?

No. Left the camera in the car. Was gutted.


You wont get me on it bruv…. never been on a ride whats goes upside down. Oops

Wetbag.

Well, i went with the gf. Did a day of wine tasting in napa valley by bike. I wasnt expecting much but getting smashed and cycling around the countryside with a bunch of yank strangers was actually fun..

india
india avatar

5661 posts since 31/10/05

19 Feb 2012 11:26
Lucas82 wrote: Cheers India, I'll look in to San Luis…

I'm out there for 2 n' half wks W.


deffo goto san luis obispo. even if only for one night. stay here. http://www.madonnainn.com/
amazing! best hotel ever.

————————————

san, yeah, if there's a few of you in higher class train it's probably not bad (for less than 12 hour journeys) but i hated it in in the lower ones. not being able to go to sleep cause people would rob you etc. people with no legs and horrible arms/hands, slaring up up to you…grabbing you, asking for money.

probably better than car (if there is a few). i once caught a taxi once from one place to another. told me it would take 9 hours. took 18!!! when it got to 9 hours and was looking out the window thinking 'it doesnt look like we're coming up to anything…i'll keep looking for a while' then just nothing for another 9 hours. sweating like fuck!
MrW
MrW avatar

2533 posts since 1/8/11

19 Feb 2012 11:36
Orwat, try and stop over at Yosemite before SF, pretty cool place. Loads to do in SF - Alcatraz, Napa Valley, CAS - and places to eat & shop. Also try the demon cocktails at Top of the Mark.

We took 3 or 4 days SF to LA, stopped over at Carmel, San Luis Obispo & Santa Barbara. Hearst Castle is worth a visit before you reach LA.

We stayed on the beach at Santa Monica so probably did the least in LA, lunch at the Getty Centre is a must though.

Vegas is Vegas, depends on who you're with. I was on honeymoon Eye-wink so just did a show, helicopter to Grand Canyon, dinner at Stratosphere etc.

Grab a copy of this, well worth the cash.
DuffMan
DuffMan avatar

14284 posts since 21/2/07

19 Feb 2012 12:25
San wrote: Cheers India. Some of the train services are supposed to be pretty good, fully air con'd etc so looking into that as don't want to be sat in a car for hours on end

Took some great trains in India, the first class air con coaches with meals + tea served to you at your seat are great and still not expensive in the grand scheme of things. Deffo take the train, this site is the best for all train travel http://www.seat61.com/India.htm
orwat
orwat avatar

30 posts since 14/2/12

19 Feb 2012 12:32
im not going, its lucas88 is going..
Noble Locks
Noble Locks avatar

66963 posts since 10/7/03

19 Feb 2012 12:49
have a great time orwat. Cool
Burt
Burt avatar

5545 posts since 3/1/10

19 Feb 2012 14:04
I've done the SF to LV drive through Yosemite. We broke it up at a place called Bishop and stayed at the Best Western before driving through Death Valley to Vegas. Thoroughly recommended.

Dug out the map that I used…


and a couple of gratuitous photo shots, Yosemite…


Death Valley…



india
india avatar

5661 posts since 31/10/05

19 Feb 2012 14:06
some/most of the hotels you lot recommend on here are fucking wank!

nothing at all about them. just standard chain fucking shite.
Burt
Burt avatar

5545 posts since 3/1/10

19 Feb 2012 14:10
You don't need to be dropping a wedge for what's basically an overnighter in a town in the middle of nowhere - save your cash for bright light's, big city.
etrea
etrea avatar

522 posts since 25/2/09

19 Feb 2012 15:37
I'm going to Toronto tomorrow , any shops things I should check out?
Lucas82
Lucas82 avatar

451 posts since 26/10/09

19 Feb 2012 22:31
Looks like a cool hotel, rooms look Cool but the prices are a bit trumpy… still think we could afford a night there.

Also cheers for the recommendations fukers. Cool

india wrote:
Lucas82 wrote: Cheers India, I'll look in to San Luis…

I'm out there for 2 n' half wks W.


deffo goto san luis obispo. even if only for one night. stay here. http://www.madonnainn.com/
amazing! best hotel ever.