General Discussion: Official holiday thread


Show original post
andymakesglasses
andymakesglasses avatar

20200 posts since 26/1/06

10 Aug 2015 15:48
With the Multi-currency Cash Passport it's the rate on the day that you load it. With the Globe Cash Passport you're loading on pounds and it converts it at the rate on the particular day when you make a payment or withdrawal.

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/prepaid-cards/travelex-cash-passports/
MoB
MoB avatar

36680 posts since 31/8/04

10 Aug 2015 16:11
cheers boss Cool
Ricer
Ricer avatar

1738 posts since 14/3/03

10 Aug 2015 19:00
abagnale wrote: Cheers Ricer, Seenmy. I've booked that one.

There's my economy room, found it more than adequate given that all it was used for was sleeping, showering & messin about with the futuristic shitter Laughing out loud

Get yourself one of those pocket wifi things too, essential bit of kit, got mine from
http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html

Hello World
Hello World avatar

12100 posts since 7/3/05

10 Aug 2015 20:06
Im off to Sicily in September, only booked flights so far, going air bnb, hire car etc.

Any recommendations for the area to stay, guides say south east is best.

looking forward to going up mt etna.
Ronald
Ronald avatar

1385 posts since 9/5/04

posted 10 Aug 2015 20:21, edited 10 Aug 2015 20:21
Hello World wrote: Im off to Sicily in September, only booked flights so far, going air bnb, hire car etc.

Any recommendations for the area to stay, guides say south east is best.

looking forward to going up mt etna.

Scopello in the North-West is stunning. But you wouldn't want to stay there more than 2-3 days unless you really like eating fish and swimming, as there's not much else to do.
abagnale
abagnale avatar

653 posts since 6/1/14

10 Aug 2015 21:24
Looks good man, cheers! Any good night spots nearby? I'm travelling alone for a few nights so I'll be looking out for places that I don't like like a loser/creep.
Ricer
Ricer avatar

1738 posts since 14/3/03

posted 11 Aug 2015 00:43, edited 11 Aug 2015 00:43
It gets a hard time online but we had a good buzz in Gas Panic Shibuya any night we went, just got pissed & in amongst it

Shinjuku is pretty much the neon filled red light district you see in movies so loadsa mischief but be wary of African touts, people still getting shook down & drugged in some dodgy places.
A$AP Rocky shot this vid there in Shinjuku & it features heavily in the movie Enter The Void



This is my album of pics, some of Kyoto in there too, shout if you wanna know any more
https://flic.kr/s/aHske4zpY6
abagnale
abagnale avatar

653 posts since 6/1/14

11 Aug 2015 08:02
Some awesome pics there mate. Cool

I'll let you know if anything else comes to mind!
ginner
ginner avatar

259 posts since 15/4/14

11 Aug 2015 11:06
Just come back from Taormina. Nice place, good base for etna trip too, only hour and half away. About 1hr from catania airport. Can recommend restaurant la tavernetta and la bablionia. Good little bar off the cosa umberto called daquiri which is on some steps. Restaurant at top of the steps from there also decent.
Anto
Anto avatar

3572 posts since 19/1/12

11 Aug 2015 12:36
Hello World, I'd personally go west!

Palermo is very nice, worth staying a few days, then i'd go west towards Trapani, that area is fantastic.
You can go to the sea in places like Alcamo Marina, Scopello and San Vito Lo Capo (possibly the best place). But you can also visit greek era sites like Segesta\Calatafimi.
You can also stop in Erice and then Trapani.
Then you can head to Agrigento and visit Valle dei Templi, with possible stops at Selinute, Eraclea Minoa or Scala dei Turchi.
Ideally from there you could go to Caltagirone, Ragusa, Noto and Siracusa. And then all the way up to Catania and Etna maybe staying in places like Aci Castello or Aci Trezza.

It obviously takes some time, so it depends on how long you're staying and what you would like to do there. You can visit cities and historical sites as well as resting all day on the beach.

Let me know if you need any specific info!
bathingchimp
bathingchimp avatar

987 posts since 15/6/04

11 Aug 2015 14:01
Anyone got any advice on Dubrovnik, Montenegro and Bari in Italy?

Mainly eating, drinking, nice beaches, activities, cocktail bars or old school institution type vibes.

Thanks!
trailofdavid
trailofdavid avatar

6334 posts since 14/8/09

11 Aug 2015 15:01
Dubrovnik is brilliant. Got a bunch of info (at home, so will look later)
Ulster_Blue
Ulster_Blue avatar

5202 posts since 16/7/06

11 Aug 2015 15:20
Got some good advice over the page re Montenegro. Avoid Budva seems to be general consensus, Kotor looks ideal.
sam_y9
sam_y9 avatar

44 posts since 25/11/11

11 Aug 2015 15:24
Hello World….try and get to Aeolian Islands if you can, use Lipari as a base to go to Stromboli and other volcanic islands.
FLG
FLG avatar

5860 posts since 21/5/04

11 Aug 2015 16:19
Ricer wrote: This is my album of pics, some of Kyoto in there too, shout if you wanna know any more
https://flic.kr/s/aHske4zpY6
Cool bit OTT on the fish eye but still great pics Ricer!
Ricer
Ricer avatar

1738 posts since 14/3/03

11 Aug 2015 16:35
Wanted that other worldly kinda vibe tbh, it's always my go to for something a bit different
Hello World
Hello World avatar

12100 posts since 7/3/05

11 Aug 2015 21:21
Anto wrote: Hello World, I'd personally go west!

Palermo is very nice, worth staying a few days, then i'd go west towards Trapani, that area is fantastic.
You can go to the sea in places like Alcamo Marina, Scopello and San Vito Lo Capo (possibly the best place). But you can also visit greek era sites like Segesta\Calatafimi.
You can also stop in Erice and then Trapani.
Then you can head to Agrigento and visit Valle dei Templi, with possible stops at Selinute, Eraclea Minoa or Scala dei Turchi.
Ideally from there you could go to Caltagirone, Ragusa, Noto and Siracusa. And then all the way up to Catania and Etna maybe staying in places like Aci Castello or Aci Trezza.

It obviously takes some time, so it depends on how long you're staying and what you would like to do there. You can visit cities and historical sites as well as resting all day on the beach.

Let me know if you need any specific info!

Found a nice place near Giarratana with a pool as the base for 7 nights 8 days, in the mountains so very restful. Not really interested in beaches, mostly a cultural tour in the South East. My GF prefers to sit in one base, rather than splitting it up so trying to concentrate in one area (SE)

So for day trips, Mt Etna / Catania, a day in Syracuse, 2 free rest days pool /mountains / beach maybe, then 2 days for covering Val di Noto cities, then a day travelling back to Palermo stopping in Caltagirone or Piazza Armerina, fly out the next day. So a short trip really.
Hello World
Hello World avatar

12100 posts since 7/3/05

11 Aug 2015 21:30
Ulster_Blue wrote: Got some good advice over the page re Montenegro. Avoid Budva seems to be general consensus, Kotor looks ideal.

I stayed in the Hotel Queen of Montenegro which is in Bečići, around the corner from Budva, its night and day as I walked around the bay and saw the difference. I found Montenegro compared to Dubrovnik / Cavtat in Croatia to be extremely Russian / eastern block, much less developed etc.

I would recommend Cavtat over dubrovnik as it is cheaper and less busy, but it has loads of super yachts in the marina. You can always get the boat to Dubrovnik from Cavtat.

Flights in and out of Dubrovnik airport seem very expensive this year, so we decided to go to Sicily instead.
figurine
figurine avatar

5736 posts since 14/5/07

12 Aug 2015 07:51
Any good bases in Dubrovnik HW?
ginner
ginner avatar

259 posts since 15/4/14

12 Aug 2015 16:05
In Kotor go for the Hotel Astoria, really nice small boutique place. Taxi from dubrovnik to kotor didnt set me back too much when I went.