General Discussion: Official holiday thread


Show original post
gawkrodger
gawkrodger avatar

7492 posts since 4/11/08

25 Dec 2015 22:11
Perhaps a weird question - can I take some bottles of beer on a flight to the US as part of my check-in luggage? Would changes in air pressure do anything to it?
YLAup
YLAup avatar

5140 posts since 5/9/11

posted 25 Dec 2015 22:19, edited 25 Dec 2015 22:19
Edit for misreading:According to the FAA, there are no limits on how much alcohol you can pack in your checked luggage if the alcohol by volume is less than 24 percent (generally beer and wine). Between 24 and 70 percent, however, the FAA limits passengers to 5 liters.
trailofdavid
trailofdavid avatar

6334 posts since 14/8/09

25 Dec 2015 22:57
gawkrodger wrote: Perhaps a weird question - can I take some bottles of beer on a flight to the US as part of my check-in luggage? Would changes in air pressure do anything to it?

Have brought beer back and its been fine
gawkrodger
gawkrodger avatar

7492 posts since 4/11/08

26 Dec 2015 01:07
cheers gents - that's my last xmas present I need to get sorted then
Ricer
Ricer avatar

1738 posts since 14/3/03

26 Dec 2015 03:14
Going Reykjavik…..wanna do Northern Lights trip & Blue Lagoon, what's shopping like?
carl lewis
carl lewis avatar

23632 posts since 14/10/04

26 Dec 2015 07:44
Istanbul not problems whatsoever
YLAup
YLAup avatar

5140 posts since 5/9/11

26 Dec 2015 12:56
Ricer wrote: Going Reykjavik…..wanna do Northern Lights trip & Blue Lagoon, what's shopping like?

Blue Lagoon is amazing, northern lights is worth it even if only for the clear skies/stars, and the shopping is fairly non existent unless it's Nordic items/jumpers/crafts. Theres one shop that sells Han, but that's it.
gawkrodger
gawkrodger avatar

7492 posts since 4/11/08

26 Dec 2015 21:14
trailofdavid wrote: Have brought beer back and its been fine

One last question - bottles or tins? I can;t think how either would make much difference but I don't want booze over me garms
YLAup
YLAup avatar

5140 posts since 5/9/11

26 Dec 2015 21:35
Just stick em in a plastic bag and tie it tight.
Bails78
Bails78 avatar

600 posts since 6/1/08

3 Jan 2016 22:52
Does anyone have any recommendations on where is the best place to look for European City Breaks in March/April, budget of around £200-300 all in, and around 2-4 days duration.

MoB
MoB avatar

36661 posts since 31/8/04

3 Jan 2016 22:56
I went lisbon in may, was a foodie dream if you're into food. Also loads to see and do, great bars as well. Cheap as chips.
Mosoona
Mosoona avatar

164 posts since 25/5/15

3 Jan 2016 23:22
Is airbnb too good to be true? Never been on it before, but looking at prices and user reviews for places and the prices are pretty great, compared to hotels (more looking at renting entire flats in Paris, that kinda thing)
Sholto
Sholto avatar

490 posts since 25/12/12

3 Jan 2016 23:39
No its not too good to be true. Would choose it over a hotel 9 times out of 10. Think it's typically cheaper because most people on there are not trying to earn a living from renting out their apartment, whereas hotels etc are run like a business
Mosoona
Mosoona avatar

164 posts since 25/5/15

3 Jan 2016 23:48
Oh nice. Any advice for arrondissements in Paris? Friend living there says 3, 4 and 11 (Le Marais supposedly good), any others?
Mr.X.
Mr.X. avatar

2842 posts since 23/6/13

4 Jan 2016 00:10
Why would you want to go to the 11th if there's just been a terrorist attack there? I'm sure security will be beefed up but the thought of what happened is off-putting isn't it?
Forper
Forper avatar

2080 posts since 29/1/13

4 Jan 2016 06:42
Mr.X. wrote: Why would you want to go to the 11th if there's just been a terrorist attack there? I'm sure security will be beefed up but the thought of what happened is off-putting isn't it?

Don't let the terrorists win. Enjoy your life.
trailofdavid
trailofdavid avatar

6334 posts since 14/8/09

4 Jan 2016 07:43
gawkrodger wrote:
trailofdavid wrote: Have brought beer back and its been fine

One last question - bottles or tins? I can;t think how either would make much difference but I don't want booze over me garms

Sorry, I didnt see this (probably too late).

Bottles. Just wrapped tight and nestled amongst stuff like cotching gear that i wasnt too arsed about. Appreciate its more of a worry taking things out though
trailofdavid
trailofdavid avatar

6334 posts since 14/8/09

4 Jan 2016 07:44
Mosoona wrote: Oh nice. Any advice for arrondissements in Paris? Friend living there says 3, 4 and 11 (Le Marais supposedly good), any others?

Staying in Le Marais next weekend, so will let you know.
Anto
Anto avatar

3554 posts since 19/1/12

4 Jan 2016 10:36
YLAup wrote:
Ricer wrote: Going Reykjavik…..wanna do Northern Lights trip & Blue Lagoon, what's shopping like?

Blue Lagoon is amazing, northern lights is worth it even if only for the clear skies/stars, and the shopping is fairly non existent unless it's Nordic items/jumpers/crafts. Theres one shop that sells Han, but that's it.

Blue Lagoon is cool but i found it the most touristy thing you can do in Iceland.

Shopping not the best thing you can do there but recall two stores in Reykjavik: Hurra and Geysir
Anto
Anto avatar

3554 posts since 19/1/12

4 Jan 2016 10:40
Where do people recommend sleeping in Tokyo in terms of areas?

Looking at Airbnbs as hotels are mostly sold out or super expensive.

Any link to airbnb od hotels?