From Seminyak you can do day trips to Ubud - Saraswati temple was great- or Lembongan island easily. Batur is worth an overnight, nice spas. As we had sprogs with us, we weren't as mobile as we'd have wanted, so we didn't make it to either Lombok or Gili islands but both of those supposed to be brilliant - worth side trips. On the main island you can hire a driver for about £20-30 a day - got a nice contact if you want.
Good day trip is the Halo bike tour around a volcano and lake - stunning. You ride through the villages and see the stunning rice terracess and people who live in the country side of Bali. It finishes with lunch at the family compound. Driver whisks you there and back.
Seminyak itself was def more built up than I expected, but also has loads of places to eat and drink. If Ubud and beyond is the 'real Bali' anything southwest/south/southeast of that is pretty touristy. Out of the touristy places, Seminyak has the best places to eat/drink I think. Some recommends:
- Potato Head Beach Club - great at sunset, djs, cocktails
- Woobar at W Hotel also great at sunset
- Corner house- on the Main Street of Seminyak, decent for breakfast and coffee.
- Revolver- great spot for a coffee, like Caravan on Exmouth market.
- Ku De Ta - decent beach club, good for lunch and a day at the pool slash beach as it is right on the beach.
- Red Carpet Bar
- Metis - good for dinner
- Mamasan- stunning modern Asian, beautiful cocktails and delicious food
- Sisterfields - strong for breakfast and lunch. Near Seminyak square. A bit like granger or caravan.