General Discussion: Official holiday thread


Show original post
Burt
Burt avatar

5315 posts since 3/1/10

24 Apr 2019 17:44
Dedicated thread HERE, ballso.
ballso
ballso avatar

630 posts since 26/1/09

24 Apr 2019 19:28
Burt wrote: Dedicated thread HERE, ballso.

cheers burt. forget the search function on here!
sodomgomorra
sodomgomorra avatar

1314 posts since 24/3/14

posted 28 Apr 2019 10:53, edited 28 Apr 2019 10:53
What's a good shirting fabric for traveling in hot and humid weather?

Lyocell/Tencel etc. rayon? Cotton and linen seem to be the more popular choice but it bothers me how easily those crease.
Best
Best avatar

9742 posts since 21/10/05

28 Apr 2019 19:01
Any beach club recommendations for the Nice area? I’ve had a google and only found one, Anjuna Beach which is the self proclaimed ‘most expensive beach club in the world’ so want to give that a miss.
illwill
illwill avatar

3404 posts since 17/5/04

posted 28 Apr 2019 19:12, edited 28 Apr 2019 19:12
You lot are always going on about beach clubs. What's the attraction?

Gimme a Carrefour cool bag filled with 3 euro bottles of rosé, a jar of cornichons and 20 Lucky Strike and I'm happy as Larry.
Best
Best avatar

9742 posts since 21/10/05

28 Apr 2019 20:11
Long lunches, drinks, good music and people watching. They can be very good, if you’re not staying in a hotel
Seventyfour
Seventyfour avatar

8679 posts since 6/10/05

28 Apr 2019 21:27
Going on a family holiday to Alcudia, is there anything I should do while I'm there or just the usual holiday resort?
swede
swede avatar

7701 posts since 21/3/09

29 Apr 2019 08:04
Best wrote: ‘most expensive beach club in the world’

Laughing out loud imagine the amount of tools there
sodomgomorra
sodomgomorra avatar

1314 posts since 24/3/14

posted 29 Apr 2019 08:20, edited 29 Apr 2019 08:20
illwill wrote: a jar of cornichons

Eek
andymakesglasses
andymakesglasses avatar

20101 posts since 26/1/06

posted 29 Apr 2019 09:01, edited 29 Apr 2019 09:01
Seventyfour wrote: Going on a family holiday to Alcudia, is there anything I should do while I'm there or just the usual holiday resort?

Stay away from Playa de Muro, the further south you go the worse it becomes. Although there are (or at least were, in 2013) pony rides here which were very popular. Every fucking night. You can take a glass-bottomed boat tour from the big pier there, but I think from memory it also picks up from Port d'Alcudia. Good for the kids as they can watch the fish out of the sun.

You can walk around the old town's walls in Alcudia which is worth doing. Roman ruins on the edge of town if you like that kind of thing (decent for kids to run around in actually). There are several decent restaurants around the harbour area. Bodega d’es Port is the only one I can remember the name of but there was a big Italian place that was good too. Little Britain British supermarket if you have a hankering for corned beef or Bisto.

Port de Pollença is worth a visit, really chilled atmosphere and lots of families but not really much to do besides the beach.

There are various little towns that you can visit easily by bus for a change of scenery. Arta and Manacor are the only ones I remember the names of (decent castle at Arta with great views over the surrounding countryside).
Seventyfour
Seventyfour avatar

8679 posts since 6/10/05

29 Apr 2019 11:16
andymakesglasses wrote:
Seventyfour wrote: Going on a family holiday to Alcudia, is there anything I should do while I'm there or just the usual holiday resort?

Stay away from Playa de Muro, the further south you go the worse it becomes. Although there are (or at least were, in 2013) pony rides here which were very popular. Every fucking night. You can take a glass-bottomed boat tour from the big pier there, but I think from memory it also picks up from Port d'Alcudia. Good for the kids as they can watch the fish out of the sun.

You can walk around the old town's walls in Alcudia which is worth doing. Roman ruins on the edge of town if you like that kind of thing (decent for kids to run around in actually). There are several decent restaurants around the harbour area. Bodega d’es Port is the only one I can remember the name of but there was a big Italian place that was good too. Little Britain British supermarket if you have a hankering for corned beef or Bisto.

Port de Pollença is worth a visit, really chilled atmosphere and lots of families but not really much to do besides the beach.

There are various little towns that you can visit easily by bus for a change of scenery. Arta and Manacor are the only ones I remember the names of (decent castle at Arta with great views over the surrounding countryside).

Cheers Andy
It looks like our hotel is up near the harbor so will spend some time round there and round the old town, might swerve the little Britain supermarket though Laughing out loud

Burt
Burt avatar

5315 posts since 3/1/10

30 Apr 2019 12:37
4 day break staying in an Airbnb apartment in Palma (old town), Mallorca - any recommendations for food/drink, gents?
swede
swede avatar

7701 posts since 21/3/09

30 Apr 2019 13:52
kurobota - posh asian fusion food. better than the london one
el aquanata - excellent mexican. octopus softshell tacos are the one
restaurante la bovida - tapas place. you will probably have to wait for a table though. food is excellent

mercat de olivar is a food market in the centre which has some good lunch spots inside it. great for a wander around too. pink prawn bar is decent for the seafood crew. owned by some michelin star chef who also has a sushi bar opposite (excellent)

mercat de santa catalina is similar (in the trendier area of santa catalina where both kurobota and el aquanata are)
Burt
Burt avatar

5315 posts since 3/1/10

30 Apr 2019 14:39
Cool thanks, swede.

Did you take your bike out there or hire?
DuffMan
DuffMan avatar

14240 posts since 21/2/07

30 Apr 2019 22:44
Some proper nice places in Palma - had lunch at Fosh last time I was there, great value for michelin star
Burt
Burt avatar

5315 posts since 3/1/10

posted 1 May 2019 06:53, edited 1 May 2019 06:53
Thanks, DuffMan - I've seen the Marc Fosh restaurant getting props on Trip Advisor and was considering a lunch visit too.
swede
swede avatar

7701 posts since 21/3/09

1 May 2019 07:35
Burt wrote: Cool thanks, swede.

Did you take your bike out there or hire?

I usually bring it out, but fed up with the faf of unpacking + transporting bike box about.. so i rented this time from bikehead (swedish guys). had a cannondale supersix with di2. was good but missed my disc brakes. will go with bikecamp next time. good prices on disc di2 cervelos
Burt
Burt avatar

5315 posts since 3/1/10

1 May 2019 09:50
Thanks, swede Cool
TROYBOY
TROYBOY avatar

450 posts since 28/2/12

1 May 2019 09:54
Burt wrote: 4 day break staying in an Airbnb apartment in Palma (old town), Mallorca - any recommendations for food/drink, gents?

alexs bar

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud
RAMBO
RAMBO avatar

745 posts since 27/11/09

1 May 2019 20:42
Just been in Sri Lanka with voyage prive - I can't tell you how much of an unsportive, money grabbing company. Word of warning on anyone looking to book with them.