General Discussion: Politics thread


Show original post
RickRude
RickRude avatar

3263 posts since 13/1/12

27 Nov 2018 21:35
GIDS call it treatment - therapy is synonymous with treatment
figurine
figurine avatar

5736 posts since 14/5/07

27 Nov 2018 21:47
RickRude wrote: GIDS call it treatment - therapy is synonymous with treatment

I'd argue treatment and therapy are similar but different, the word synonymous means nearly the same not the exact same. My point re Mil still stands regardless.
RickRude
RickRude avatar

3263 posts since 13/1/12

posted 27 Nov 2018 22:02, edited 27 Nov 2018 22:02
Your point stands yes regarding Mil, but there are other forms of treatment in the UK

The Gender Identity Development Service call hormone blockers a treatment - you know, the very people who are commissioned by NHS England and work with these people

So your point that there are no treatments for children is not correct

figurine
figurine avatar

5736 posts since 14/5/07

27 Nov 2018 22:12
Fair enough, edited my post.
menace
menace avatar

1059 posts since 3/5/12

posted 28 Nov 2018 04:02, edited 28 Nov 2018 04:02
RickRude wrote: Your point stands yes regarding Mil, but there are other forms of treatment in the UK

The Gender Identity Development Service call hormone blockers a treatment - you know, the very people who are commissioned by NHS England and work with these people

So your point that there are no treatments for children is not correct

proper Tory line of argument you like to use. Bet you think you're the champion of reason and logic in a confused lefty world. Focusing on semantics and calling people's responses emotional is pretty pathetic
Rez
Rez avatar

7960 posts since 5/4/09

28 Nov 2018 08:31
EssexBoyII wrote: I think it’s too early to teach kids about transsexuality. Kids minds are like sponges and so easily nudged in one way or the other based on an immature brain drugged up on hormones and emotion and not on rational thought. If someone is 18 plus and wants a sex change, I’m all for it and couldn’t care less

Do you believe the same about homosexuality? When's the appropriate age to teach children about that and why?
EssexBoyII
EssexBoyII avatar

6481 posts since 5/6/07

28 Nov 2018 08:50
I think just a stock response would be sufficient. That people love all kinds of people without going in to any specifics.
swede
swede avatar

8017 posts since 21/3/09

28 Nov 2018 09:00
@menace don't entertain him. just set his profile to block and you won't see his posts
Rez
Rez avatar

7960 posts since 5/4/09

posted 28 Nov 2018 09:00, edited 28 Nov 2018 09:00
What do you mean by specifics Essex?
figurine
figurine avatar

5736 posts since 14/5/07

28 Nov 2018 09:18
EssexBoyII wrote: I think it’s too early to teach kids about transsexuality. Kids minds are like sponges and so easily nudged in one way or the other based on an immature brain drugged up on hormones and emotion and not on rational thought. If someone is 18 plus and wants a sex change, I’m all for it and couldn’t care less
Just tell them to ignore the transgender child in the corner then? There are children at schools who are transgender, not teaching children about the issue is more harmful than educating them in a balanced and considered way.
Crackajack
Crackajack avatar

7145 posts since 21/4/05

28 Nov 2018 09:44
I think people are still coming at this from the angle it's inherently 'wrong' to have feelings of gender fluidity / non binary gender, it's a cultural thing in this country to see it as weird in the same way other cultures recognise more than two distinct genders, or others think homosexuality is 'wrong'.

I agree that surgeries and treatments should follow the usual rules of consent / parental consent. It doesn't follow that these feelings are an 'illness' though, in the same way you would by default want to perform a treatment on a broken leg or someone with depression.

Treating it as a physical or psychological condition isn't right, but if someone having a surgery or hormones would improve their quality of life, and they can consent (e.g. not done by parents on their behalf), then I think it's the right thing to do. However saying that, how stupid are some people at age 18 (I know I was, Nike Dunks and bootcut Diesel jeans jeeez) Laughing out loud

This video on how people used to be treated is interesting:



It inspired the league of gentleman doctor sketch The League of Gentlemen Series 3 Episode 1 Doctor Scene
RickRude
RickRude avatar

3263 posts since 13/1/12

posted 28 Nov 2018 12:12, edited 28 Nov 2018 12:12
@mennace

You sound mad mate. If you read back Figurine was dealing with semantics, so much so he corrected his original statement.

Also, it seems that a couple of peeps in here get mad if others opinions don’t fall in line with the status quo - then start personally attacking people. First it was Rez and now you - yet all I’m doing is asking questions and providing some facts on a tricky conversation.

@swede - for someone who claims to ignore me, you tend to comment on a lot of my posts

And just so everyone is clear - I am all for transgender equality and support
Mr.X.
Mr.X. avatar

2851 posts since 23/6/13

28 Nov 2018 15:32
RickRude flying the LGBTQQIAAP flag on the streets of London.
swede
swede avatar

8017 posts since 21/3/09

28 Nov 2018 16:39
how do you explain this RickRude? do you regret voting leave yet?

"Chancellor says UK will be worse off under all Brexit scenarios" - https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/nov/28/chancellor-uk-worse-off-brexit-scenarios-philip-hammond?CMP=fb_gu&fbclid;=IwAR3tHwgjLixAvg8F_s0-3KYJApLYhMkbk-truP0eM0cE9RtD7qCtmaLOu-Y
RickRude
RickRude avatar

3263 posts since 13/1/12

posted 28 Nov 2018 18:13, edited 28 Nov 2018 18:13
Swede I thought you ignored me - yet you’re asking my opinion
bertoni
bertoni avatar

972 posts since 29/9/11

posted 28 Nov 2018 18:29, edited 28 Nov 2018 18:29
Wow, most serious Fuk exchange in a while. For what it's worth I think most right leaning gentlemen are a little bit Partridge:


nothingelseworked
nothingelseworked avatar

3275 posts since 21/2/10

posted 28 Nov 2018 19:46, edited 28 Nov 2018 19:46
One question I do have: What does it mean to feel like a man or a woman? Obviously we know gender dysphoria is legit, because the transition leads to positive outcomes for people (less depression, lowered suicide rates, increased QOL, etc), but just trying to understand what it is about gender that does it.

I'm certainly on the side of 'gender is a social construct', because masculine and feminine things are totally made up (e.g. the ideas that wearing dresses and makeup is a thing for girls or playing football and playing with action man is for boys, etc). So once when you strip back things we do or like and certain things aren't masculine or feminine anymore, what does it mean to be a man or a woman outside of having a penis or a vagina? If you don't attach your gender to gendered things, how do you know you are that gender?

Is it simply that it's unexplainable? Someone who feels like the opposite gender just simply feels it inside themselves and in their code that something isn't right? And there is no want/need for "gender"-specific things?

EssexBoyII
EssexBoyII avatar

6481 posts since 5/6/07

posted 29 Nov 2018 07:53, edited 29 Nov 2018 07:53
If you were to ask me if men can be born in to a women’s body and vice versa. The answer would be no. I do believe that gender is fluid insofar as people can obviously display traits of the other and I think that maybe gives people a sense of ‘otherness’ which brings distress and I’m sure they display improved feelings about their sense of self after a sex change. Although to me, that’s the same as a sugar pill improving depression. You wouldn’t start teaching kids about the existence and merits of sugar pills. That’s what I mean by discussing the specifics.
swede
swede avatar

8017 posts since 21/3/09

29 Nov 2018 08:52
RickRude wrote: Swede I thought you ignored me - yet you’re asking my opinion

answer the question you bigot
RickRude
RickRude avatar

3263 posts since 13/1/12

posted 29 Nov 2018 09:34, edited 29 Nov 2018 09:34
See what I mean - typical

By definition you are a bigot mate - because I have a different view you constantly attack me and slander me