General Discussion: Politics thread


Show original post
EssexBoyII
EssexBoyII avatar

6389 posts since 5/6/07

30 Aug 2019 00:15
Arguing with Milpex is a fools errand. At least he’ll never have any children to infect with his stupidity
MLI
MLI avatar

4349 posts since 6/10/09

30 Aug 2019 06:46
EssexBoyII wrote: Arguing with Milpex is a fools errand. At least he’ll never have any children to infect with his stupidity

yep just keep calling me dumb instead of engaging, classic tactics of mentally weak leftist drones. Try to humiliate and mock to make the other sides arguments seem illegitimate. Fact is you can't argue with my facts. You're lost, you're weak, you're wrong and you will never admit it because you're too far invested. I feel sorry for you.
figurine
figurine avatar

5669 posts since 14/5/07

30 Aug 2019 07:31
MLI wrote:
james_fox wrote:
MLI wrote:
james_fox wrote: dunning-kruger effect strong in this thread

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger_effect

Propaganda and exageration are strong in this world regarding global warming. Just fighting back with rational thoughts.

yes it's important to fight for your social belief system isn't it. fighting almost like a warrior of some kind, you might say

No, it's important to stick to the facts.

FACT: Pacific Islands growing, not sinking.
FACT: Global temperature stable
FACT: Antartic growin
FACT: warming areas are producing more food
FACT: Cold weather kills more people than hot weather does
FACT: The amount of carbon released by fires in the amazon infentisimally small.
FACT: Carbon produced naturally by decomposition is around 50 times greater than all human made emissions
FACT: The Great Barrier Reef healthier than ever
FACT: Some rich and powerful humans want to control the lives of other humans and tell them how bad they are and how virtuous themselves are.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/aug/30/great-barrier-reef-outlook-now-very-poor-australian-government-review-says
I'll assume the rest of your 'facts' are bollocks too.
andymakesglasses
andymakesglasses avatar

20168 posts since 26/1/06

30 Aug 2019 08:12
There's some truth in what he's saying, however it's very selective fact-picking. I haven't got time to go into it now but may do so over the weekend if the silliness persists.
MLI
MLI avatar

4349 posts since 6/10/09

posted 30 Aug 2019 10:12, edited 30 Aug 2019 10:12
figurine wrote:
MLI wrote:
james_fox wrote:
MLI wrote:
james_fox wrote: dunning-kruger effect strong in this thread

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger_effect

Propaganda and exageration are strong in this world regarding global warming. Just fighting back with rational thoughts.

yes it's important to fight for your social belief system isn't it. fighting almost like a warrior of some kind, you might say

No, it's important to stick to the facts.

FACT: Pacific Islands growing, not sinking.
FACT: Global temperature stable
FACT: Antartic growin
FACT: warming areas are producing more food
FACT: Cold weather kills more people than hot weather does
FACT: The amount of carbon released by fires in the amazon infentisimally small.
FACT: Carbon produced naturally by decomposition is around 50 times greater than all human made emissions
FACT: The Great Barrier Reef healthier than ever
FACT: Some rich and powerful humans want to control the lives of other humans and tell them how bad they are and how virtuous themselves are.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/aug/30/great-barrier-reef-outlook-now-very-poor-australian-government-review-says
I'll assume the rest of your 'facts' are bollocks too.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/08/16/surprise-great-barrier-reef-is-not-dying-from-global-warming/

Nope, your "facts" are bullshit, not mine.
MLI
MLI avatar

4349 posts since 6/10/09

posted 30 Aug 2019 10:22, edited 30 Aug 2019 10:22
andymakesglasses wrote: There's some truth in what he's saying, however it's very selective fact-picking. I haven't got time to go into it now but may do so over the weekend if the silliness persists.

Why are you god? Do you think you somehow automatically know better than me because you're an OPTOMOTRIST? Really?

If I can be bothered to take the time I might take apart your earlier posts if your ridiculousness continues.
figurine
figurine avatar

5669 posts since 14/5/07

30 Aug 2019 11:01
MLI wrote:
figurine wrote:
MLI wrote:
james_fox wrote:
MLI wrote:
james_fox wrote: dunning-kruger effect strong in this thread

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger_effect

Propaganda and exageration are strong in this world regarding global warming. Just fighting back with rational thoughts.

yes it's important to fight for your social belief system isn't it. fighting almost like a warrior of some kind, you might say

No, it's important to stick to the facts.

FACT: Pacific Islands growing, not sinking.
FACT: Global temperature stable
FACT: Antartic growin
FACT: warming areas are producing more food
FACT: Cold weather kills more people than hot weather does
FACT: The amount of carbon released by fires in the amazon infentisimally small.
FACT: Carbon produced naturally by decomposition is around 50 times greater than all human made emissions
FACT: The Great Barrier Reef healthier than ever
FACT: Some rich and powerful humans want to control the lives of other humans and tell them how bad they are and how virtuous themselves are.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/aug/30/great-barrier-reef-outlook-now-very-poor-australian-government-review-says
I'll assume the rest of your 'facts' are bollocks too.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/08/16/surprise-great-barrier-reef-is-not-dying-from-global-warming/

Nope, your "facts" are bullshit, not mine.
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/the-great-barrier-reef-is-not-dead-long-live-the-reef-20190830-p52mg0.html
But it also faces enormous challenges if we do not take action. Reducing threats from rising sea temperatures, poor water quality and crown of thorns outbreaks are critical in protecting its future.

I trust the scientists who tell me that climate change is the biggest single threat to the reef, just as I trust those who tell me of the things we can do, and are doing, to make the reef more resilient.
Yea, healthier than ever.
fudge.dredd
fudge.dredd avatar

551 posts since 15/12/12

30 Aug 2019 11:04
Someone call me when this Earth is no longer habitable. I'm waiting.
james_fox
james_fox avatar

538 posts since 1/8/10

30 Aug 2019 11:09
ismvil wrote: This thread tho

it's a nice reminder, if one was needed, that sid vicious was right about "the man on the street"
sydneyking
sydneyking avatar

4517 posts since 26/9/09

30 Aug 2019 11:10
Genuinely there’s no point any of us continuing down this line. Objectivity or the idea that we can aspire toward ascertaining the best available truth has seemingly fallen by the wayside.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but not to their own facts.

Truth is the cornerstone of rational debate. We can debate these issues and we should, but if they’re not based on commonly agreed facts then it’s a complete waste of everyone’s time.
MrW
MrW avatar

2514 posts since 1/8/11

30 Aug 2019 11:15

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/watts-up-with-that/

Overall, we rate Watts Up with That a strong pseudoscience and conspiracy website based on the promotion of consistent climate denialism propaganda'

andymakesglasses
andymakesglasses avatar

20168 posts since 26/1/06

30 Aug 2019 11:15
FACT: I'm not an optometrist.
james_fox
james_fox avatar

538 posts since 1/8/10

30 Aug 2019 11:26
sydneyking wrote: Genuinely there’s no point any of us continuing down this line. Objectivity or the idea that we can aspire toward ascertaining the best available truth has seemingly fallen by the wayside.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but not to their own facts.

Truth is the cornerstone of rational debate. We can debate these issues and we should, but if they’re not based on commonly agreed facts then it’s a complete waste of everyone’s time.

unfortunately the evil bastards that want to turn society into a tool for their own enrichment have realised that to a lot of people nothing feels as good as upsetting the people that they've been conditioned to hate - remainers, SJWs, black or brown people, feminists, the european union, the left wing, and so on.

the 1% has spent a lot of time and money encouraging people to be trolls that derive satisfaction from the unhappiness of others. it's worked spectacularly well, and now we're fucked.
sydneyking
sydneyking avatar

4517 posts since 26/9/09

30 Aug 2019 11:43
Absolutely, it’s the normalisation of the absurd
Superprecise
Superprecise avatar

2056 posts since 16/7/11

posted 30 Aug 2019 11:46, edited 30 Aug 2019 11:46
I hate to deal in absolutes but if you take Donald Trump seriously then you are a fuckwit.
Birdman
Birdman avatar

1342 posts since 10/3/10

30 Aug 2019 12:03
Superprecise wrote: This thread wants nuking from orbit.

It’s the only way to be sure.
fudge.dredd
fudge.dredd avatar

551 posts since 15/12/12

30 Aug 2019 12:16
Superprecise wrote: I hate to deal in absolutes but if you take Donald Trump seriously then you are a fuckwit.

Typical.
james_fox
james_fox avatar

538 posts since 1/8/10

30 Aug 2019 12:23
Superprecise wrote: I hate to deal in absolutes but if you take Donald Trump seriously then you are a fuckwit.

that's the thing, for trump fans it's not even necessarily about taking what he says seriously - only that it annoys the people they don't like and so gives them a warm fuzzy feeling of superiority
Birdman
Birdman avatar

1342 posts since 10/3/10

posted 30 Aug 2019 12:28, edited 30 Aug 2019 12:28
MLI wrote:
figurine wrote:
MLI wrote: Are scientists smarter today than they were in the 70s? Why?
Yes, if you really don't understand why we know more than we did 40 years ago you're even dumber than I thought.

Why are they smarter? Aren't they just making guesses about the future same as the 70s?

You are a fool to think todays people are smarter. The people of the Renaissance were far more educated and smarter than we are.

I don’t think anyone said they were necessarily smarter but do you not think that additional 50 years of research/trend analysis/technology development would aid their ability to make accurate predictions?

If you are struggling with the concept just consider medical science - how many conditions and diseases have been cured in the last 50 years?
Presumably you don’t think these advances have been made purely because doctors are smarter?
Superprecise
Superprecise avatar

2056 posts since 16/7/11

posted 30 Aug 2019 12:30, edited 30 Aug 2019 12:30
Typical of an arrogant leftist cuck blah blah blah. Fill your boots mate, I don't give a fuck. I suspect it's a pretty reliable litmus test. Obviously you will say I've been brainwashed by CNN or whatever tosh you need to believe in order to support your delusion that he is someone other than the idiotic, weak, petty, incoherent, vindictive, opportunist, fear-mongering weird cunt he proves himself to be over and over and over again. If you like him just because he pisses people like me off then just own it, don't waste our time with your twisted bullshit.