General Discussion: Politics thread


Show original post
mike-hunt
mike-hunt avatar

95 posts since 6/5/11

posted 14 Dec 2019 18:23, edited 14 Dec 2019 18:23
Finally some good news!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7791905/People-didnt-trust-country-Ex-Labour-MP-Anna-Turley-blasts-Jeremy-Corbyn.html
fudge.dredd
fudge.dredd avatar

1027 posts since 15/12/12

14 Dec 2019 18:32
morning mist wrote:
fudge.dredd wrote:
joeyjojo wrote:
I purposely went overboard because of the wave of hate I get for not being a liberal on trend lefty.

You get hated on because you regularly make incredibly hateful statements regarding millions of people and/or entire countries. In all my years on fuk nobody else come close to the amount of hate you spew on here, regardless of political view.

The left is very good at dishing it out but can never take it in return…

May I ask what millions of people and countries I’ve denigrated? It’s better to be specific.
TIMDOT
TIMDOT avatar

866 posts since 6/8/14

posted 14 Dec 2019 19:02, edited 14 Dec 2019 19:02
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/jeremy-corbyn-labour-election-defeat-len-mccluskey_uk_5df3b918e4b0ca713e5ee0fa?utm_hp_ref=uk-len-mccluskey

Wrong about failing to apologise for anti-Semitism, it was never going to be enough. Some good points in there.
TIMDOT
TIMDOT avatar

866 posts since 6/8/14

14 Dec 2019 19:03
R wrote: national debt is still massive as a percentage of a GDP, clearly in part a result of horrific Labour financial policy (and bloated, inefficient public services), along with macro factors, but the rationale from the left is spend, spend, spend. I don't believe anybody wants massive inequality and everyone wants good public services, but sense seems to have gone out the window.

there's still a massive witch hunt on wealth, profit is a bad word, but the incredible thing that many seem to ignore is the massive reliance on very few to contribute SO much in terms of tax revenues. there's a relatively fine line between living in a somewhat free and hopefully prosperous country, contributing and paying for the privilege of doing so, and it being so financially onerous that it's pointless to stay. ambition and entrepreneurship should be encouraged, not punished. the left always speak of the wealthiest paying 'a bit' more and I think to some extent, there wouldn't be a huge amount of resistance towards this, but a small increase wouldn't touch the sides. I also believe that regardless of taxation levels, it would always be a 'bit more', a constant chipping away.

I really don't know what the answer to the massive social issues may be. We are restricted by reality and vaguely responsible spending. Resources are finite and aside from economic growth/increased GDP leading to higher tax revenues and the possibility to borrow more by maintaining a similar ratio, I've got no idea what can be done.
I just do not know what the answer could possibly be.
https://cdn.shortpixel.ai/client/to_webp,q_glossy,ret_img,w_600/https://www.economicshelp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/uk-national-debt-600x424.png
https://ourworldindata.org/uploads/2016/09/TopTaxIncidence_PikettySaez2007-750x506.png
https://ourworldindata.org/exports/top-income-tax-rates-piketty_v1_850x600.svg
USA:

nothingelseworked wrote: Tories been in power ramping up national debt for 9 years and it's still Labour's fault LDSgl;ksefhdgjkrweh ye jkgehr j teyt ufhdfjhfdsjh hahahahshaghahdhashahagahhagsjhahsgjahfurjt pause jsadhjhjahahahahaahabdjahaj54
morning mist
morning mist avatar

3219 posts since 29/5/05

14 Dec 2019 19:26
fudge.dredd wrote:
morning mist wrote:
fudge.dredd wrote:
joeyjojo wrote:
I purposely went overboard because of the wave of hate I get for not being a liberal on trend lefty.

You get hated on because you regularly make incredibly hateful statements regarding millions of people and/or entire countries. In all my years on fuk nobody else come close to the amount of hate you spew on here, regardless of political view.

The left is very good at dishing it out but can never take it in return…

May I ask what millions of people and countries I’ve denigrated? It’s better to be specific.

"The left is very good at dishing it out but can never take it in return…" is another ridiculous blanket statement.

On top of my head Portugal, the 3 biggest cities in Sweden, all democrats and lefties, think Germany also a while back
R
R avatar

13030 posts since 17/5/03

posted 14 Dec 2019 19:29, edited 14 Dec 2019 19:29
so national debt higher than any other peacetime period and you're giving zero context to top rate income tax percentage. again, outside of (world) wars and recovery, you're pretty much referring to the 70s. Do you have any idea what happened?
fudge.dredd
fudge.dredd avatar

1027 posts since 15/12/12

14 Dec 2019 19:31
^ And who a few pages back called the entire U.K. thick as shit for voting for Boris?

And stating facts is not insulting - Sweden has a massive immigration problem. Look at how democrats are behaving in the USA, and general lefties here too.

It’s not insulting to point that out.
Rez
Rez avatar

8035 posts since 5/4/09

posted 14 Dec 2019 19:37, edited 14 Dec 2019 19:37
'the entire UK'

13,941,200 people voted Conservative
10,292,054 people voted Labour
1,242,372 people voted SNP
3,675,342 people voted Lib Dem
864,743 people voted Green

Edit:
And before you meltdown again fudge I'm not calling those 14m stupid…
MrW
MrW avatar

2610 posts since 1/8/11

14 Dec 2019 19:48
Tbf, probably referring to
joeyjojo wrote: Who keeps voting for them Laughing out loud

So glad I’m not in the Uk anymore. English people are absolutely the stupidest people in the world
fudge.dredd
fudge.dredd avatar

1027 posts since 15/12/12

14 Dec 2019 19:49
^ yes that was the one.
morning mist
morning mist avatar

3219 posts since 29/5/05

14 Dec 2019 19:49
fudge.dredd wrote: ^ And who a few pages back called the entire U.K. thick as shit for voting for Boris?

And stating facts is not insulting - Sweden has a massive immigration problem. Look at how democrats are behaving in the USA, and general lefties here too.

It’s not insulting to point that out.

Just because someone else did that does that make what you say ok? My point was that you do it more then anyone else on here, not that no one else never say stupid shit.

It's not stating a "fact" to call the three biggest cities in Sweden shitholes. Calling all democrats and lefties for racists and fascist is not stating a fact and so on.

THAT is insulting.

fudge.dredd
fudge.dredd avatar

1027 posts since 15/12/12

14 Dec 2019 19:55
You’re going around in circles.

The classic case of ‘its ok when we do it.’

Your outlook is EXACTLY why people voted to leave the EU, voted for Trump and booted Labour into the dustbin of history.
morning mist
morning mist avatar

3219 posts since 29/5/05

14 Dec 2019 19:58
I just said the OPPOSITE of that! That it's NOT OK if someone on the left does it….jesus…

And you also ignored the rest of the post.
fudge.dredd
fudge.dredd avatar

1027 posts since 15/12/12

14 Dec 2019 20:19
I’ll reply later when I can digest your words..
joeyjojo
joeyjojo avatar

4124 posts since 24/8/06

14 Dec 2019 20:41
MrW wrote: Tbf, probably referring to
joeyjojo wrote: Who keeps voting for them Laughing out loud

So glad I’m not in the Uk anymore. English people are absolutely the stupidest people in the world

I stand by it
MrW
MrW avatar

2610 posts since 1/8/11

14 Dec 2019 20:55
/\
You'd stand by it if Corbyn had won, or if 52% voted to remain?
RickRude
RickRude avatar

3278 posts since 13/1/12

14 Dec 2019 22:09
MrW wrote: /\
You'd stand by it if Corbyn had won, or if 52% voted to remain?

Nail on the head

I love this thread.

Where’s Swede when you need him - the arbiter of Brexit and British politics
Crackajack
Crackajack avatar

7314 posts since 21/4/05

14 Dec 2019 22:26
That graph on the reduction in tax of the wealthiest in the US is Eek no wonder if we have followed suit we can't afford to sort out our workers with health and social care, a safety net and need massive government debt instead.
fudge.dredd
fudge.dredd avatar

1027 posts since 15/12/12

15 Dec 2019 01:32
The problem with lefty policies is that they don’t help poorer people become better off - they just want to make the better off poorer and equalise things that way. But you can’t account for human behaviour.

That’s why their system has to eventually be enforced.

Very similar to Islam - that’s the only way they can keep people in check. By enforcing their religion on people.
fudge.dredd
fudge.dredd avatar

1027 posts since 15/12/12

15 Dec 2019 02:17
EssexBoy sported earlier today: