General Discussion: Politics thread


Show original post
DuffMan
DuffMan avatar

14249 posts since 21/2/07

9 May 2016 11:42
White and English aren't the same thing Shane, don't go sounding like Britain First.

Also in what way was Goldsmith the lesser twat?
ShaneB
ShaneB avatar

908 posts since 28/11/10

9 May 2016 12:31
DuffMan wrote: White and English aren't the same thing Shane, don't go sounding like Britain First.

Also in what way was Goldsmith the lesser twat?

Ethnic English then.

Khan strikes me as a complete lightweight who embellishes his background for effect (did you know his dad used to drive a bus!?); Goldsmith seems to achieved a lot more as MP for Richmond.
joeyjojo
joeyjojo avatar

3914 posts since 24/8/06

9 May 2016 13:34
TIMDOT
TIMDOT avatar

862 posts since 6/8/14

9 May 2016 20:38
ShaneB wrote: (did you know his dad used to drive a bus!?)
pppetty borg
pet bouge
petite bourgeois
InWonderland
InWonderland avatar

2655 posts since 8/2/07

10 May 2016 03:29
ShaneB wrote:
DuffMan wrote: White and English aren't the same thing Shane, don't go sounding like Britain First.

Also in what way was Goldsmith the lesser twat?

Ethnic English then.

Khan strikes me as a complete lightweight who embellishes his background for effect (did you know his dad used to drive a bus!?); Goldsmith seems to achieved a lot more as MP for Richmond.

Word.
Rdes1974
Rdes1974 avatar

204 posts since 29/1/14

10 May 2016 13:42
what has goldsmith done? In fact he is going to have to resign once they agree the 3rd runway at LHR..
DuffMan
DuffMan avatar

14249 posts since 21/2/07

posted 10 May 2016 14:37, edited 10 May 2016 14:37
If you were running against the son of a billionaire you'd probably highlight your background for effect too (not to mention it is impressive going from working class kid on an estate with 7 siblings to mayor of London by 45). Goldsmith is a political lightweight with decent environmental credentials.
MoB
MoB avatar

36609 posts since 31/8/04

10 May 2016 14:56
I was quite shocked Goldsmith didn't try and make more of the environmental side of himself, would have done better than coming across like a daily mail columnist.
Double D
Double D avatar

3552 posts since 8/3/07

10 May 2016 16:18
Campaign manager clearly thought they were campaigning for Luton mayor, oh well
Crackajack
Crackajack avatar

7031 posts since 21/4/05

10 May 2016 19:59
DuffMan wrote: If you were running against the son of a billionaire you'd probably highlight your background for effect too (not to mention it is impressive going from working class kid on an estate with 7 siblings to mayor of London by 45). Goldsmith is a political lightweight with decent environmental credentials.

And he didn't smear Goldsmith as a 'toff', just highlighted that he himself is largely 'self made' as a solicitor working human rights and legal aid / pro-bono. I think this speaks to a lot of Londoners - the idea you can work hard and achieve something - isn't that what Conservatives like people to believe happens?

Contrast to Goldsmith who was gifted a magazine to run and makes more per week from trust funds then the average London annual salary. He previously held non-domicile status for tax purposes.
-DiscoTits-
-DiscoTits- avatar

678 posts since 26/11/07

10 May 2016 23:42
Cameron's "fantastically corrupt" gaffe today? For me personally it's more his choice of words that pissed me off. He's just so unrelatable to us mere mortals. And Bercow had a cheek to say "I hope they're coming here at their own expense" when him and his fellow ministers regularly claim for taxi journey's of 300 metres etc costing thousands in the long run to the tax payers. I just find the Conservatives so irksome.
sydneyking
sydneyking avatar

4491 posts since 26/9/09

posted 11 May 2016 05:29, edited 11 May 2016 05:29
Haven't heard or read any article at length re Cameron's gaffe however labelling Afghanistan and Nigeria corrupt doesn't seem much of a gaffe at all to me.

Just read a brief article giving his comment some context
EssexBoyII
EssexBoyII avatar

6355 posts since 5/6/07

11 May 2016 06:29
Cameron was also overheard stating Leceister's premiership win was mildly surprising and that sky very possibly blue coloured
Crackajack
Crackajack avatar

7031 posts since 21/4/05

11 May 2016 17:49
'unguarded comments' = PR / spin to deflect from 2 stories reporting economic recession in manufacturing and slowing growth generally. Amongst other things probably swept under the carpet.

ShaneB
ShaneB avatar

908 posts since 28/11/10

12 May 2016 12:52
Crackajack wrote:
DuffMan wrote: If you were running against the son of a billionaire you'd probably highlight your background for effect too (not to mention it is impressive going from working class kid on an estate with 7 siblings to mayor of London by 45). Goldsmith is a political lightweight with decent environmental credentials.

And he didn't smear Goldsmith as a 'toff', just highlighted that he himself is largely 'self made' as a solicitor working human rights and legal aid / pro-bono. I think this speaks to a lot of Londoners - the idea you can work hard and achieve something - isn't that what Conservatives like people to believe happens?

Contrast to Goldsmith who was gifted a magazine to run and makes more per week from trust funds then the average London annual salary. He previously held non-domicile status for tax purposes.

What has Khan achieved of note exactly? Goldsmith is worth £300 million - he could have just sat on his arse and become a playboy….but he didn't….
figurine
figurine avatar

5630 posts since 14/5/07

12 May 2016 15:34
That's fairly commendable then..
illwill
illwill avatar

3491 posts since 17/5/04

12 May 2016 15:47
Are you for real, ShaneB? Laughing out loud
ShaneB
ShaneB avatar

908 posts since 28/11/10

12 May 2016 17:30
Principle counts for something, surely.
figurine
figurine avatar

5630 posts since 14/5/07

12 May 2016 20:10
illwill wrote: Are you for real, ShaneB? Laughing out loud
I think he was being ironic? Khan achieved nothing, despite becoming a successful lawyer coming from a poor background, but Goldsmith is an all round great guy because he joined the Tories despite being loaded.
Crackajack
Crackajack avatar

7031 posts since 21/4/05

12 May 2016 20:32
No, ShaneB was being truthful. Didn't merit a response just go read their respective Wiki pages.