General Discussion: The Premiership discussion thread


Show original post
Razorlight123
Razorlight123 avatar

4453 posts since 13/1/10

30 Dec 2018 13:50
I think the Arsenal game showed that we no longer need Ozil. We got overrun in the midfield yesterday (as well as shitty defence).

If Ozil was in mid yesterday, the pressure on our defence would have been worse. No point in he being there if he is just going to shine against the likes of Cardiff and Huddersfield.
carl lewis
carl lewis avatar

23639 posts since 14/10/04

30 Dec 2018 13:57
You need Ozil
Bails78
Bails78 avatar

602 posts since 6/1/08

30 Dec 2018 17:07
carl lewis wrote: You need Ozil

Care to enhance on this?
Razorlight123
Razorlight123 avatar

4453 posts since 13/1/10

30 Dec 2018 18:25

Bails78 wrote:
carl lewis wrote: You need Ozil

Care to enhance on this?

Also intrigued…
carl lewis
carl lewis avatar

23639 posts since 14/10/04

30 Dec 2018 18:49
Watch the licks you held yesterday Laughing out loud
JustinCredible
JustinCredible avatar

2491 posts since 11/6/08

30 Dec 2018 19:34
I'll elaborate on the Ozil ting - whether or not Arsenal should play him is open to debate but only because Arsenal are so shit in so many other areas of the park.

Yes, they've done well this season with the bounce from the new manager and yes, the South American fella in CDM looks decent and is the first proper holding midfielder they've had in a while (early doors but allow). Despite that, the entire defence is shocking and the new German keeper looks well Karius.

Ozil was (in his Madrid days), and probably still is, one of if not the best creative attacking midfielders at picking out runs and threading legendary through balls, creating more 1on1 chances for attackers than anyone else but he needs willing runners making intelligent runs. Can he track back and tackle? No. Neither could Kaka or Ronaldinho but nobody expected them to and they are both Ballon d'Or winners and made in the same ilk. Ozil would get a game every week for someone like Man City / Liverpool / Man United and would be superb for them. He should have left Arsenal in the summer just gone for a team that would appreciate him for what he is as the criticism is unwarranted UNLESS you want to settle for 4th and play 11 workhorses who are hard working but of maringally above average ability (like Iwobi who despite his decent assist did fuck all for the rest of the match) and eek out results.

I'm a Newcastle fan and we had Hatem Ben Arfa who wasn't quite on the same level as Ozil but, despite being surrounded by mediocrity in an average Newcastle team, had flashes of brilliance and was sensational going forwards but sometimes gave the ball away and offered nothing defensively. Ultimately got moved on and signed for some far better clubs than us and is doing the business in France.

Same with Florian Thauvin who is on the radar of many top clubs in Europe after pulling up trees for Marseille despite failing to make the grade with us (because he couldn't put a tackle in).
dearTDot
dearTDot avatar

272 posts since 27/12/12

posted 30 Dec 2018 21:45, edited 30 Dec 2018 21:45
Arsenal just needs to re upholster their back 4. Ozil is fine the problem is the Arsenal fans.
RickRude
RickRude avatar

3263 posts since 13/1/12

30 Dec 2018 21:50
Ben Arfa is not doing the business in France.

You can’t compare Kaka and Ronaldinho to Ozil
TROYBOY
TROYBOY avatar

536 posts since 28/2/12

30 Dec 2018 22:42
LFC wrote: The Sky commentator calling Kante, Conte, is ruining my day Evil

A bug bear of mine too, fucking annoying
menace
menace avatar

1059 posts since 3/5/12

31 Dec 2018 01:59
TROYBOY wrote:
LFC wrote: The Sky commentator calling Kante, Conte, is ruining my day Evil

A bug bear of mine too, fucking annoying
It is kind of how you pronounce it in France though. Can't really knock a commentator for pronouncing a name correctly. It'd be like wanting them to call Thierry Henry how we say it in English
Bails78
Bails78 avatar

602 posts since 6/1/08

31 Dec 2018 08:06
carl lewis wrote: Watch the licks you held yesterday Laughing out loud

Still doesn't explain why we need him? We have "held licks" with Ozil in the team, so what's your point?

carl lewis
carl lewis avatar

23639 posts since 14/10/04

31 Dec 2018 08:12
Thanks Justin Cool
Bails78
Bails78 avatar

602 posts since 6/1/08

31 Dec 2018 08:13
JustinCredible wrote: I'll elaborate on the Ozil ting - whether or not Arsenal should play him is open to debate but only because Arsenal are so shit in so many other areas of the park.

Yes, they've done well this season with the bounce from the new manager and yes, the South American fella in CDM looks decent and is the first proper holding midfielder they've had in a while (early doors but allow). Despite that, the entire defence is shocking and the new German keeper looks well Karius.

Ozil was (in his Madrid days), and probably still is, one of if not the best creative attacking midfielders at picking out runs and threading legendary through balls, creating more 1on1 chances for attackers than anyone else but he needs willing runners making intelligent runs. Can he track back and tackle? No. Neither could Kaka or Ronaldinho but nobody expected them to and they are both Ballon d'Or winners and made in the same ilk. Ozil would get a game every week for someone like Man City / Liverpool / Man United and would be superb for them. He should have left Arsenal in the summer just gone for a team that would appreciate him for what he is as the criticism is unwarranted UNLESS you want to settle for 4th and play 11 workhorses who are hard working but of maringally above average ability (like Iwobi who despite his decent assist did fuck all for the rest of the match) and eek out results.

I think the problem Arsenal and Ozil have is that no top team in Europe plays with a traditional no.10 any more. Ozil's position has/is been fazed out. Teams require more than just someone who can thread through balls and create 1-on-1 chances, if you can't PRESS in midfield, provide cover for fullbacks, then you will be found wanting. Unless the team is setup/built around him that he doesn't have to worry about those aspects. But Arsenal is not like that and hasn't been for while now.

We should have sold him last season, as we should have Sanchez when City wanted him instead of going for that shit deal with Man Utd.

My fear is that I believe Arsenal will become an Everton type team for a number of years under Kroenke.
carl lewis
carl lewis avatar

23639 posts since 14/10/04

31 Dec 2018 08:14
Bails78 wrote:
carl lewis wrote: Watch the licks you held yesterday Laughing out loud

Still doesn't explain why we need him? We have "held licks" with Ozil in the team, so what's your point?

Have you seen Ozil’s assists and involvement in chances stats?
Davinho
Davinho avatar

2218 posts since 2/12/08

31 Dec 2018 08:40
JustinCredible wrote: Ozil would get a game every week for someone like Man City / Liverpool / Man United

Ozil would absolutely not get into City’s team. Apart from Pep not putting up with his lack of work off the ball, who would he replace? Same with Liverpool.
carl lewis
carl lewis avatar

23639 posts since 14/10/04

31 Dec 2018 09:27
Ozil fed up like when Alexis was at AFC
RickRude
RickRude avatar

3263 posts since 13/1/12

31 Dec 2018 13:18
Stats don’t mean anything - Lukaku has scored shit loads of goals but still plays like he’s wearing a pair of Red Wings
TROYBOY
TROYBOY avatar

536 posts since 28/2/12

31 Dec 2018 13:27
RickRude wrote: Stats don’t mean anything - Lukaku has scored shit loads of goals but still plays like he’s wearing a pair of Red Wings

Lolllll
carl lewis
carl lewis avatar

23639 posts since 14/10/04

31 Dec 2018 15:07
Laughing out loud
dearTDot
dearTDot avatar

272 posts since 27/12/12

2 Jan 2019 00:57
Watch Lukaku turn into a goal scoring machine.