General Discussion: The Premiership discussion thread


Show original post
menace
menace avatar

1106 posts since 3/5/12

28 Jun 2020 19:41
Copper wrote:
TheTiger wrote:
OnlyOneStop wrote: Shame that. Was enjoying life without that cunt Mourinho ruining it.

Agreed. The football we’re playing feels like we’re back in the Gerry Francis or George Graham days. At least Kane and Moussa are back.

I'm actually so surprised how much Tottentham are playing like Mourinho's united. I really wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt when he was sacked by united, but during the 1-1 draw with united last Friday, I was thinking to myself how if I was a spurs fan, I would have hated watching that game.

It just reminded me of the countless united games I watched under him that were the same formula. Nullify the other team with compact, negative, boring football, only bringing excitement on the rare successful counter-attack. Then inevitably not get as much out of the game as you would want. I know this isn't exactly anything new but the reluctance to try anything new must be quite alarming for spurs fans. Already stories coming out about falling out with players, in this case Ndombele.

I'm still so baffled by him being offered that job. Poch was fucking class and on his way to good things. Plus he was rarely perceived negatively by the media or other fans.

unbelievably boring to watch. a 2-0 win against a sort of rival (West Ham) still feels boring as shit. Ndombele and Kane are totally wasted in this system, and we're not defensively solid enough to effectively play Mourinho ball. I'd cut an arm off to have Poch back. Would rather have got relegated with him than get 6th with Mourinho. Even under Sherwood, Redknapp, Jol etc we were better than we are now, often with a much worse squad
R
R avatar

13041 posts since 17/5/03

30 Jun 2020 18:45
Thought we were much better v West Ham.

Strange comment re redknapp. Far, far stronger squad then and some great football. Should’ve pushed for the leave (as with Poch, who I love). Ndombele has done nothing to prove he should be starting and is the laziest player I’ve seen. Very talented, but that’s meaningless atm.
menace
menace avatar

1106 posts since 3/5/12

30 Jun 2020 20:39
R wrote: Thought we were much better v West Ham.

Strange comment re redknapp. Far, far stronger squad then and some great football. Should’ve pushed for the leave (as with Poch, who I love). Ndombele has done nothing to prove he should be starting and is the laziest player I’ve seen. Very talented, but that’s meaningless atm.

Our squad under Redknapp really wasn't stronger at all. Kane/Bale pretty much level. Dembele and Modric were functionally on a similar level (when he was fit), Eriksen/VDV. Plus Son > Azza Lezza.

I reckon the squad we've had the last few years has been our best in a LONG time, although granted Poch really got the best out of them.

Ndombele I think would be thriving under almost any other manager. I do see that he's a bit lazy and a bit chubby but he needs to be integrated. He is the exact player our midfield has been missing since Mousa gone, and is a better passer. Him, Gio and a DM and we'd be laughing (without Mou)
R
R avatar

13041 posts since 17/5/03

posted 30 Jun 2020 20:49, edited 30 Jun 2020 20:49
a bit lazy is an understatement, he's fucked after 20 mins. for a guy reportedly being paid 200k/week, it's disgraceful. he's nothing like dembele (prob my favourite player since I started going in mid 90s), which it seemed he would be. can drive forward with the ball, but has none of the discipline or positional sense. doesn't retain the ball in the same way and can be tackled, whereas mousa was like men v boys. obviously ndombele is far better in terms of progressive passing.

I think it's clear that lo celso has turned out to be more of the dembele/modric type player. combative and can drive forward, disciplined and starts attacks. really think he's special. with the benefit of hindsight, and I know his reputation was incredible, it's a shame we went for ndombele over bruno.

toss up between redknapp's squad and our 15-17 squad. I think redknapp probably had more world class players - bale, modric, king. Those around them not as good as poch's I wouldn't have thought. Looking back we definitely should've won something, real quality in every position and so good to watch with rose and walker bombing forward.
RickRude
RickRude avatar

3494 posts since 13/1/12

30 Jun 2020 22:53
Lesley King world class - behave.
Copper
Copper avatar

2679 posts since 29/11/11

1 Jul 2020 12:39
R wrote:
Copper wrote:
TheTiger wrote:
OnlyOneStop wrote: Shame that. Was enjoying life without that cunt Mourinho ruining it.

Agreed. The football we’re playing feels like we’re back in the Gerry Francis or George Graham days. At least Kane and Moussa are back.

I'm actually so surprised how much Tottentham are playing like Mourinho's united. I really wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt when he was sacked by united, but during the 1-1 draw with united last Friday, I was thinking to myself how if I was a spurs fan, I would have hated watching that game.

It just reminded me of the countless united games I watched under him that were the same formula. Nullify the other team with compact, negative, boring football, only bringing excitement on the rare successful counter-attack. Then inevitably not get as much out of the game as you would want. I know this isn't exactly anything new but the reluctance to try anything new must be quite alarming for spurs fans. Already stories coming out about falling out with players, in this case Ndombele.

I'm still so baffled by him being offered that job. Poch was fucking class and on his way to good things. Plus he was rarely perceived negatively by the media or other fans.

I thought we were horrific v united, quite enjoyed the west ham match. let's see in due course now players are back.

lo celso is brilliant.

As a UTD fan, it was a mad game to watch because it just reminded me of games under Mourinho where we just sat back and miserably tried to hit on a half-baked counter.

I genuinely thought Poch was onto a major honour of some sort, be that champs, prem, or even something like the FA cup would have been nice. I hope that we get him if Ole fails.

Agreed Lo Celso is good
R
R avatar

13041 posts since 17/5/03

1 Jul 2020 13:07
his best team was disbanded - should def have won a few honours, then not adequately replaced. I'd imagine it was a combination of not being back properly and indecision from him. we were horrific throughout 2019. love him, though.
OnlyOneStop
OnlyOneStop avatar

2875 posts since 3/8/08

1 Jul 2020 13:11
Ledley was absolutely brilliant. Ravaged by injury, couldn't even train at the end and still could play the game better than most. Of course wouldn't expect a myopic chelsea fan to give kudos.
RickRude
RickRude avatar

3494 posts since 13/1/12

1 Jul 2020 13:23
Only Spurs fans call him world class - everyone else calls him a very good player. His status is based on “what if’s”

OnlyOneStop
OnlyOneStop avatar

2875 posts since 3/8/08

1 Jul 2020 14:15
Yet you make it sound like it's a delusional stretch to regard him so highly. He was brilliant - ain't no what if about it.
RickRude
RickRude avatar

3494 posts since 13/1/12

1 Jul 2020 14:53
Brilliant? For Spurs yeah - Steve Bruce was brilliant for Man Utd as well
Copper
Copper avatar

2679 posts since 29/11/11

2 Jul 2020 17:30
VAr chalking off a goal for Luca Moura trying to break his fall Laughing out loud VAR is so cunty
Copper
Copper avatar

2679 posts since 29/11/11

2 Jul 2020 18:54
Jose finished
menace
menace avatar

1106 posts since 3/5/12

2 Jul 2020 22:44
RickRude wrote: Only Spurs fans call him world class - everyone else calls him a very good player. His status is based on “what if’s”

only we watched him week in week out and saw what he could do with one knee. Let's face it, how often where you watching Spurs on your saturday afternoon in 2003 ?
smith
smith avatar

10945 posts since 5/5/04

5 Jul 2020 20:37
Citeh with the hangover this time after beating Liverpool 4 nil Laughing out loud
LFC
LFC avatar

4587 posts since 14/6/11

posted 6 Jul 2020 05:19, edited 6 Jul 2020 05:19
Southampton were class. Keeper had the game of his life.
Copper
Copper avatar

2679 posts since 29/11/11

6 Jul 2020 06:56
smith wrote: Citeh with the hangover this time after beating Liverpool 4 nil Laughing out loud

Nothing quite like seeing Pep ruffled. Can’t stand the cunt
Davinho
Davinho avatar

2283 posts since 2/12/08

6 Jul 2020 08:54
Why’s that? Laughing out loud
Copper
Copper avatar

2679 posts since 29/11/11

posted 6 Jul 2020 09:01, edited 6 Jul 2020 09:01
I find him irritating and jarringly passive-aggressive in his interviews. Fidgety/head scratchy and sarcastic. Just doesn't seem likable to me.







Class manager, though.
Copper
Copper avatar

2679 posts since 29/11/11

posted 6 Jul 2020 09:08, edited 6 Jul 2020 09:08
Edit: double posted whilst trying to edit pics (PM Ted)