General Discussion: The Premiership discussion thread


Show original post
Razorlight123
Razorlight123 avatar

4935 posts since 13/1/10

20 Apr 2021 18:04
Chelsea bottled it.
TheTiger
TheTiger avatar

4148 posts since 23/2/03

20 Apr 2021 18:20
City about to leave too!

Talk sport saying that Barca and Atleti about to make annoucements shortly too.

House of cards…
Rdes1974
Rdes1974 avatar

267 posts since 29/1/14

20 Apr 2021 18:24
chelsea fans protesting…I hope they understand the irony

City and Spurs exiting next
snaye
snaye avatar

10915 posts since 24/10/02

posted 20 Apr 2021 18:55, edited 20 Apr 2021 18:55
Woodward gone.

All the rants and furore is gold entertainment

popcorn gif
Anto
Anto avatar

4034 posts since 19/1/12

20 Apr 2021 22:07
That didn't last long, luckily
TROYBOY
TROYBOY avatar

885 posts since 28/2/12

20 Apr 2021 22:10
what
a
mess
!
smith
smith avatar

11303 posts since 5/5/04

20 Apr 2021 22:39
48 hour turnaround. No fight from them. What a total embarrassment and most likely a costly one at that Laughing out loud

You're not super
You're not super
You're not super anymore
You're not super anymore
Sticking out tongue
swiftus
swiftus avatar

1453 posts since 1/7/09

21 Apr 2021 08:14
swiftus wrote: As a Liverpool fan, this is just embarrassing. Expecting a massive backtrack coming soon

Embarrassing and predictable.
joeyjojo
joeyjojo avatar

4575 posts since 24/8/06

21 Apr 2021 08:28
The calls for the owners to leave are a bit stupid right. I know Carragher has said about FSG but who’s gonna buy them?!? Another business with the same ideals who may or may not give us 150 million to buy Alison and VVD. It’s so stupid and misguided !
joeyjojo
joeyjojo avatar

4575 posts since 24/8/06

21 Apr 2021 08:30
Or does he expect the fans to buy the club? Pay Klopps wages with choccy biscuits and cheap tea
toocan
toocan avatar

872 posts since 7/11/07

21 Apr 2021 08:40


The new qualifying coefficient rules ensure the ESL group will always be in anyhow… Dropped that at the right time didn't they
Hanto
Hanto avatar

2987 posts since 30/11/09

21 Apr 2021 08:44
swiftus wrote:
swiftus wrote: As a Liverpool fan, this is just embarrassing. Expecting a massive backtrack coming soon

Embarrassing and predictable.

Have you seen the video apology?
smith
smith avatar

11303 posts since 5/5/04

21 Apr 2021 09:25
Just watched it.

Refers to liverpool as "your club" and says 'The project put forward was never going to stand without the support of the fans"

Still tried to push it through without any fan consultation Laughing out loud
swiftus
swiftus avatar

1453 posts since 1/7/09

21 Apr 2021 09:43
Hanto wrote:
swiftus wrote:
swiftus wrote: As a Liverpool fan, this is just embarrassing. Expecting a massive backtrack coming soon

Embarrassing and predictable.

Have you seen the video apology?

Yeah, just saw it this morning. Tbh, I was expecting him to shed his human costume and reveal his true alien form.

It's amazing how badly misjudged this all was. Did they really think English fans would support this?
Hanto
Hanto avatar

2987 posts since 30/11/09

posted 21 Apr 2021 09:48, edited 21 Apr 2021 09:48
I guess it's no different than any 'business' thinking that what works in their native country will work overseas, coupled with not understanding the market and how it works.

For fans, in the UK at least, regardless of money helping to get big players and competitions etc. things like the FA cup, relegation/promotion, show that people like to see underdogs, success stories etc. and this largely went against that I feel.

It's no different than what happened with Wesfarmers taking over Homebase and gutting the DIY part and trying to sell loads of BBQs, or UPS buying Italian courier services and saying that they will cut out lunch breaks to increase productivity, ignoring the efforts made by unions to get those culturual elements of work formulised in the first place. Essentially, it comes down to understanding your market and audience.
swiftus
swiftus avatar

1453 posts since 1/7/09

21 Apr 2021 09:49
joeyjojo wrote: The calls for the owners to leave are a bit stupid right. I know Carragher has said about FSG but who’s gonna buy them?!? Another business with the same ideals who may or may not give us 150 million to buy Alison and VVD. It’s so stupid and misguided !

How do Bayern Munich survive as an elite European club with decent financials without having a billionaire owner?

Not saying fan-ownership is the default correct answer…just saying that there are alternative models out there…
swiftus
swiftus avatar

1453 posts since 1/7/09

21 Apr 2021 10:17
Hanto wrote: It's no different than what happened with Wesfarmers taking over Homebase and gutting the DIY part and trying to sell loads of BBQs, or UPS buying Italian courier services and saying that they will cut out lunch breaks to increase productivity, ignoring the efforts made by unions to get those culturual elements of work formulised in the first place. Essentially, it comes down to understanding your market and audience.

Completely get that (I used to work in M&A Advisory, so many horror stories…). But this is something so public and so emotional. John Henry literally would've had to pick up the phone to Klopp to find out how bad of an idea this was.
Anto
Anto avatar

4034 posts since 19/1/12

21 Apr 2021 10:39
toocan wrote:

The new qualifying coefficient rules ensure the ESL group will always be in anyhow… Dropped that at the right time didn't they

I fully agree that this new CL format is shit too, but at least it leaves that last tiny bit of sporting merit still present in football there.

Ideally this should just be the first step of a larger protest against the current status of football, and how it has been badly managed by Uefa and Fifa for years.
Anto
Anto avatar

4034 posts since 19/1/12

21 Apr 2021 10:52
swiftus wrote:
joeyjojo wrote: The calls for the owners to leave are a bit stupid right. I know Carragher has said about FSG but who’s gonna buy them?!? Another business with the same ideals who may or may not give us 150 million to buy Alison and VVD. It’s so stupid and misguided !

How do Bayern Munich survive as an elite European club with decent financials without having a billionaire owner?

Not saying fan-ownership is the default correct answer…just saying that there are alternative models out there…

They have always been a winning team, both in Germany and in Europe, which brings in revenues from both victories and sponsorhsip\tv rights.
They have also always had a super strong youth sector, which brought up excellent players over the years (Alaba, Muller, Musiala), which could then be sold for gains. In addition they never had super stars with impossible to sustain contracts (Messi) and have always bought wisely (Gnabry, Sane), many times snapping up players on free transfers (Lewa, Coman, Goretzka).
They built the Allianz Arena selling 25% of the shares to Audi, Allianz and Adidas, all local companies with strong bonds with the team…basically the have always been managed smartly over the years, without peaks of crazy spending that is not sustainable if you don't win something quickly and then constantly
joeyjojo
joeyjojo avatar

4575 posts since 24/8/06

21 Apr 2021 10:53
swiftus wrote:
joeyjojo wrote: The calls for the owners to leave are a bit stupid right. I know Carragher has said about FSG but who’s gonna buy them?!? Another business with the same ideals who may or may not give us 150 million to buy Alison and VVD. It’s so stupid and misguided !

How do Bayern Munich survive as an elite European club with decent financials without having a billionaire owner?

Not saying fan-ownership is the default correct answer…just saying that there are alternative models out there…
swiftus wrote:
joeyjojo wrote: The calls for the owners to leave are a bit stupid right. I know Carragher has said about FSG but who’s gonna buy them?!? Another business with the same ideals who may or may not give us 150 million to buy Alison and VVD. It’s so stupid and misguided !

How do Bayern Munich survive as an elite European club with decent financials without having a billionaire owner?

Not saying fan-ownership is the default correct answer…just saying that there are alternative models out there…

Yeah don’t get me wrong it’d be great but I think for a lot of teams it’s past that point