General Discussion: The Premiership discussion thread


Show original post
smith
smith avatar

11736 posts since 5/5/04

14 Mar 2022 22:00
What a performance by Crystal Palace!
Davinho
Davinho avatar

2458 posts since 2/12/08

14 Mar 2022 22:21
Could’ve played all night and not scored. That save from mahrez and Bernardo missing a tap in said it all. Don’t suppose it changes too much since we got a point, could’ve been worse.

Gallagher and Mitchell were brilliant.
JustinCredible
JustinCredible avatar

2740 posts since 11/6/08

17 Mar 2022 20:55
Some mad lad tie wrapped himself round the neck to the post in the Everton vs Newcastle game
LFC
LFC avatar

5969 posts since 14/6/11

18 Mar 2022 09:11
Davinho wrote: Got a feeling it’s going to be Liverpool’s to lose after tonight

Can’t be claiming this at all when City were 14 points clear in January. The most expensive squad ever assembled in the Prem, even in the world maybe?

Every competition is City’s to lose because of what they’ve pumped in to the club. Embarrassing that they haven’t even got one Champions League win yet to be honest.

There’s a big difference in football that people don’t get, between expectation and hope. City are expected to win because they have two world class teams as their squad they have bought. Liverpool hope none of their star players leave and we have to start again. Ngog was starting for us upfront when City were buying Aguero and Toure.
MoB
MoB avatar

37350 posts since 31/8/04

18 Mar 2022 10:13
LFC wrote:
Davinho wrote: Got a feeling it’s going to be Liverpool’s to lose after tonight

Can’t be claiming this at all when City were 14 points clear in January. The most expensive squad ever assembled in the Prem, even in the world maybe?

Every competition is City’s to lose because of what they’ve pumped in to the club. Embarrassing that they haven’t even got one Champions League win yet to be honest.

There’s a big difference in football that people don’t get, between expectation and hope. City are expected to win because they have two world class teams as their squad they have bought. Liverpool hope none of their star players leave and we have to start again. Ngog was starting for us upfront when City were buying Aguero and Toure.

Liverpool spent 35 million on caroll the same season aguero went to city for less no?
swiftus
swiftus avatar

1830 posts since 1/7/09

posted 18 Mar 2022 10:32, edited 18 Mar 2022 10:32
MoB wrote:
LFC wrote:
Davinho wrote: Got a feeling it’s going to be Liverpool’s to lose after tonight

Can’t be claiming this at all when City were 14 points clear in January. The most expensive squad ever assembled in the Prem, even in the world maybe?

Every competition is City’s to lose because of what they’ve pumped in to the club. Embarrassing that they haven’t even got one Champions League win yet to be honest.

There’s a big difference in football that people don’t get, between expectation and hope. City are expected to win because they have two world class teams as their squad they have bought. Liverpool hope none of their star players leave and we have to start again. Ngog was starting for us upfront when City were buying Aguero and Toure.

Liverpool spent 35 million on caroll the same season aguero went to city for less no?

Only because Torres was sold for £50m (god, they were awful times).

I still think City are favourites for the title. They've never bottled it in the league, got the experience of winning the league multiple times, and they have easier fixtures until the end of the season.

The Liverpool - City game will obviously be massive and could swing the momentum.
MoB
MoB avatar

37350 posts since 31/8/04

posted 18 Mar 2022 10:50, edited 18 Mar 2022 10:50
actually the same summer aguero signed, liverpool sold ngog and spunked 20mil on stewart downing. Money helps but city were playing catchup, whilst liverpool spent 34mil on torres in 07 city had Darius Vassell up front Laughing out loud

It's funny fans pleading poverty as if they didn't spunk 75million on a single player. Everyone does it, just deal with it.
zoom
zoom avatar

6849 posts since 22/7/05

posted 18 Mar 2022 11:09, edited 18 Mar 2022 11:09
LFC wrote: Liverpool hope none of their star players leave and we have to start again.

C’mon son, start again Laughing out loud Liverpool fans don’t know the meaning of the word.
swiftus
swiftus avatar

1830 posts since 1/7/09

posted 18 Mar 2022 11:09, edited 18 Mar 2022 11:09
MoB wrote: It's funny fans pleading poverty as if they didn't spunk 75million on a single player. Everyone does it, just deal with it.

Disagree with this. VVD was the exception for us, not the norm.

Total spend of top 10 most expensive players bought by Pep - £597.42m
Number of £20m+ players bought by Pep - 17
Number of £50m+ players bought by Pep - 8

Total spend of top 10 most expensive players bought by Klopp - £420m
Number of £20m+ players bought by Klopp - 9
Number of £50m+ players bought by Klopp - 3

Net spend over last 5 seasons:

Man City – £433.8m
Liverpool – £197.2m

Not claiming poverty at all. But there's levels to spending, even at the top…
Davinho
Davinho avatar

2458 posts since 2/12/08

posted 18 Mar 2022 11:38, edited 18 Mar 2022 11:38
LFC wrote: Can’t be claiming this at all when City were 14 points clear in January.

You’ve over thought this, was more a comment on the way city have been playing and not scoring many goals (apart from against United) and coming up against a team that always give us a good game, especially at Selhurst park. It wasn’t to wind you up.

I don’t think you can talk to me about expectation and hope. I’ve been here 38 years and am eternally pessimistic when it comes to city, however good our team is now. I go into every game thinking we’ll drop points. The majority of our fans are the same, it’s ingrained. On paper yeah, we should win pretty much every game. So should your lot.

Trying to dig at me re: spending etc isn’t going to work. I’m not a massive fan of the way we’ve got to where we are but it’s happened and unfortunately that’s the only way a club can look to challenge at the top these days. I find so much about modern day elite club football depressing but I bury my head like loads of others because it’s fucking amazing to watch. Also it’s been great seeing us on the up at the same time as the rags demise.

I’d say your squad is now pretty much on par with ours, so surely you’d be expected to win everything too now? Best team will win the league, simple as that. At the moment Liverpool are the best team regarding form and momentum and I think you’ll do it.

LFC wrote: The most expensive squad ever assembled in the Prem, even in the world maybe?

That’s the sad lads over in Trafford
LFC
LFC avatar

5969 posts since 14/6/11

posted 18 Mar 2022 13:20, edited 18 Mar 2022 13:20
MoB wrote: Liverpool spent 35 million on caroll the same season aguero went to city for less no?

Panic buy due to selling Torres for 50 million (cost Liverpool 22.4 million). Again, selling our best players.


MoB wrote: actually the same summer aguero signed, liverpool sold ngog and spunked 20mil on stewart downing. Money helps but city were playing catchup, whilst liverpool spent 34mil on torres in 07 city had Darius Vassell up front Laughing out loud

It's funny fans pleading poverty as if they didn't spunk 75million on a single player. Everyone does it, just deal with it.

Money in football is hideous, but as always, it comes down to a clubs history. Looking at Liverpools history, they’ve earned the right to spend money, no one’s ever came in and blown a ton of money for the team. It’s sell to buy and pretty much still is. We’ve been very lucky profiting from the sales of big players over the years.

zoom wrote: C’mon son, start again Laughing out loud

Should of said start to compete again. These were the teams we were left with after letting previous managers go last 10+ years:



Davinho wrote: On paper yeah, we should win pretty much every game. So should your lot.

I’d say your squad is now pretty much on par with ours, so surely you’d be expected to win everything too now?

Enormous difference in how our squads have been put together. Not a chance we could compete if 4-5 top players were out, just look at our defence last season losing VVD, Gomez and Matip.

Brought in Pep, spent a billion, whether you like it or not that’s how City are looked at. Not Liverpools fault that over 125+ years they’ve built the club we have now.
Mr.X.
Mr.X. avatar

3183 posts since 23/6/13

18 Mar 2022 13:47
Southampton used as a feeder club for all those years. Cry
JustinCredible
JustinCredible avatar

2740 posts since 11/6/08

18 Mar 2022 14:02
To be fair it is about time you started competing for the league title after 20 years well of being also rans.

Liverpools starting 11 is the best in the prem for me (arguably the best in the world), but as somebody said earlier City have a better squad so it all comes down to whether or not Liverpool can keep VDV, Salah & Mane etc. fit.

Be intersting to see what the succession plan is for those three as they are all around 30, not old by today's standards but getting to the stage in their career where they might fancy a move to Real / Barca / PSG etc. before they get too old and the opportunity passes them by.
waterfall
waterfall avatar

1345 posts since 14/1/07

18 Mar 2022 14:08
zoom wrote:
LFC wrote: Liverpool hope none of their star players leave and we have to start again.

C’mon son, start again Laughing out loud Liverpool fans don’t know the meaning of the word.

swiftus
swiftus avatar

1830 posts since 1/7/09

18 Mar 2022 15:27
JustinCredible wrote: Be intersting to see what the succession plan is for those three as they are all around 30, not old by today's standards but getting to the stage in their career where they might fancy a move to Real / Barca / PSG etc. before they get too old and the opportunity passes them by.

Succession planning started already with Jota (25 years old) and Luis Diaz (25) coming in the last couple seasons.
JustinCredible
JustinCredible avatar

2740 posts since 11/6/08

18 Mar 2022 16:41
swiftus wrote:
JustinCredible wrote: Be intersting to see what the succession plan is for those three as they are all around 30, not old by today's standards but getting to the stage in their career where they might fancy a move to Real / Barca / PSG etc. before they get too old and the opportunity passes them by.

Succession planning started already with Jota (25 years old) and Luis Diaz (25) coming in the last couple seasons.
Yeah but they are not on the same level as Salah & Mane, only time will tell if they can get to that level. Not seen enough of Diaz to comment but I don't see Jota winning games single handedly in the absence of those two
swiftus
swiftus avatar

1830 posts since 1/7/09

18 Mar 2022 17:06
JustinCredible wrote:
swiftus wrote:
JustinCredible wrote: Be intersting to see what the succession plan is for those three as they are all around 30, not old by today's standards but getting to the stage in their career where they might fancy a move to Real / Barca / PSG etc. before they get too old and the opportunity passes them by.

Succession planning started already with Jota (25 years old) and Luis Diaz (25) coming in the last couple seasons.
Yeah but they are not on the same level as Salah & Mane, only time will tell if they can get to that level. Not seen enough of Diaz to comment but I don't see Jota winning games single handedly in the absence of those two

They're not at Salah/Mane levels yet, but frighteningly close already. Jota has already scored 13 in 26 league appearances this season (his second season). By comparison, Mane had 10 in 29 in his second season with us.
Davinho
Davinho avatar

2458 posts since 2/12/08

18 Mar 2022 18:45
LFC wrote: Enormous difference in how our squads have been put together. Not a chance we could compete if 4-5 top players were out, just look at our defence last season losing VVD, Gomez and Matip.

Behave. It would be the same for city mate and any other team for that matter. That was a situation where your first choice centre back partnership and their back up got injured at the same time. Who’s coming in for city if that happened? It’d be Ake and old man Fernandinho or an academy kid.

LFC wrote: Brought in Pep, spent a billion, whether you like it or not that’s how City are looked at. Not Liverpools fault that over 125+ years they’ve built the club we have now.

Who are you arguing with? Laughing out loud I’ve not accused Liverpool of anything, just said I think they’ll win the league. Do you want an apology for city spending loads of money and recruiting really well or something?
JustinCredible
JustinCredible avatar

2740 posts since 11/6/08

18 Mar 2022 18:58
Only one way to settle this, anyone fancy a game of football manager 2022? Apparently you can do an online multiplayer game
LFC
LFC avatar

5969 posts since 14/6/11

18 Mar 2022 19:55
Davinho wrote: Who’s coming in for city if that happened? It’d be Ake and old man Fernandinho or an academy kid.

Who are you arguing with? Laughing out loud I’ve not accused Liverpool of anything, just said I think they’ll win the league. Do you want an apology for city spending loads of money and recruiting really well or something?

Laporte, Diaz, Stones, Ake, Mendy. How much did all them cost City? You’ve lost Mendy permanently. Laporte was injured for a bit and say Stones was out. You’d have Diaz and Ake, we had Phillips and Williams Laughing out loud

Not arguing with anyone but you can’t be acting like you’s are underdogs ever though as it’s silly. You saying Liverpool will win the league is just you hiding behind it on here incase it happens. We’re still a point behind you with harder games, it’s far more yours to lose than ours Laughing out loud

Lets be honest we are never going to agree. The only opinion I value about football is my own so I don’t expect other people to listen to my views either. Fair play if you’ve been through it when they were total shite. Will be honest the hate is more towards the glory hunting cunts who jumped on just like Chelsea.