General Discussion: Property thread


Show original post
blackham
blackham avatar

1741 posts since 17/7/13

26 Nov 2019 21:04
anyone know ease of removing plaster off of the wall so that it's back to original brick work? could it be done as a relative amateur diy task, or would someone need to be brought in?
Goldie
Goldie avatar

4647 posts since 17/10/07

26 Nov 2019 22:45
blackham wrote: anyone know ease of removing plaster off of the wall so that it's back to original brick work? could it be done as a relative amateur diy task, or would someone need to be brought in?
Easy to do. Makes a hell of a mess though. Better off using a SDS drill with chisel attachment, just be mindful of cables/pipes chased in to walls. Mask off all neighbouring rooms and get good quality dust masks, gloves and goggles.
sydneyking
sydneyking avatar

4633 posts since 26/9/09

26 Nov 2019 22:51
Hammer and chisel will get if off, as goldie has said it makes a massive mess. Why are you wanting to remove the plaster?
stoney
stoney avatar

17446 posts since 22/1/05

27 Nov 2019 20:34
Anyone got any experience refurnish parquet floors ? New place has some ok and some fucked coming away.
Rirawin
Rirawin avatar

9259 posts since 17/7/05

27 Nov 2019 22:13
Best wrote:
Rirawin wrote: Do you have a structural engineer? if so they will/should be able to advise.

When we had one pop over to inspect and quote for removing chimney breasts, and possible RSJ supports, he pointed out things like the chimney breast themselves are not classified as party walls, despite being joined on/part of one, and therefore we were able to remove them without needing consent from our neighbours.

Have you taken advice from building control on this? I’ve received the opposite advice (Victorian property) from my engineer and Islington Building Control.

The cost to remove a double storey chimney breast went up from £2k with gallow brackets to £11k for steel beams etc. Decided against it in the end.

Interesting! Mine is a Victorian property too and it was to remove two double storey chimney breasts. We didn't proceed in the end as we wouldn't have recovered any actual space in the loft for a loft conversion. We had a quote of £3.5k exc VAT per chimney breast including RSJ supports.
seenmy
seenmy avatar

6541 posts since 17/6/06

30 Nov 2019 14:25
stoney wrote: Anyone got any experience refurnish parquet floors ? New place has some ok and some fucked coming away.
eco flooring guy called jim
swede
swede avatar

8262 posts since 21/3/09

30 Nov 2019 14:33
on that note - we have hardwood floor in kitchen/lounge. chairs making a few light surface scuffs (only visible in 100% light..). anything to restore that top surface? gonna get some felt pads for the underside of chairs
Dee
Dee avatar

11296 posts since 22/11/07

30 Nov 2019 19:12
Check the site or drop them a message, osmouk should have an oil depending on the finish, v good service from them. Their polyx may do the trick.
Dee
Dee avatar

11296 posts since 22/11/07

30 Nov 2019 19:14
I may have some satin polyx that I could drop in tester if you want to try it.
krisricey
krisricey avatar

2022 posts since 24/3/12

posted 3 Dec 2019 08:29, edited 3 Dec 2019 08:29
Need some advice on our house move. Long story, but solicitors are essentially finished and we're looking to exchange contracts this week. Had hoped to complete ASAP (early/mid Jan latest) as I have some time off work to take.

Vendor is saying that he needs to find a flat to rent before he moves out, which is totally fine, but is saying that all the flats he's viewing aren't available until mid/late January so completion date somewhen in February with a clause that says it can come earlier if he's out sooner (won't hold my breath).

Anyone know what firepower (if any) I have to tell him we're coming in January, end of? Feb is gonna be fucking awkward as we're going away etc. Offer was placed and accepted October and it's chain free.
swede
swede avatar

8262 posts since 21/3/09

3 Dec 2019 08:40
krisricey wrote: Anyone know what firepower (if any) I have to tell him we're coming in January, end of?

absolutely none. you deal with it or lose the house and all the fees you paid the solicitors etc.
krisricey
krisricey avatar

2022 posts since 24/3/12

3 Dec 2019 09:49
swede wrote:
krisricey wrote: Anyone know what firepower (if any) I have to tell him we're coming in January, end of?

absolutely none. you deal with it or lose the house and all the fees you paid the solicitors etc.

Thought as much. Looks like we're at the vendors mercy then.
Kadafi39
Kadafi39 avatar

1571 posts since 30/10/09

3 Dec 2019 13:16
If you haven't exchanged you don't have an enforceable contract, or any rights over the property.

He wont move out and make himself homeless because you want to get in a month sooner!

Unfortunately if you really want the house you'll just have to sit tight and hope he finds something soon.

Is your vendor buying a flat or renting? If the former completion in Feb is possible, but could be tight.
krisricey
krisricey avatar

2022 posts since 24/3/12

3 Dec 2019 13:20
Kadafi39 wrote: Is your vendor buying a flat or renting? If the former completion in Feb is possible, but could be tight.

Don't expect him to make himself homeless of course, hence why we are being flexible as possible. Just trying to get best possible outcome for everyone.

I believe he is going to be buying a flat, said he's got a couple to look at which are available mid Jan.
Kadafi39
Kadafi39 avatar

1571 posts since 30/10/09

3 Dec 2019 13:55
krisricey wrote:
Kadafi39 wrote: Is your vendor buying a flat or renting? If the former completion in Feb is possible, but could be tight.

Don't expect him to make himself homeless of course, hence why we are being flexible as possible. Just trying to get best possible outcome for everyone.

I believe he is going to be buying a flat, said he's got a couple to look at which are available mid Jan.

If he hasn't even had an offer accepted then unfortunately I wouldn't be getting my hopes up.

Leasehold property purchases are slower than freehold, as you have managing agents and the LPE1 enquries, management sales pack etc.

If he needs a mortgage that could be a further delay, realistically this side of the year there's less than 2 weeks of working days left for law firms.

If the vendor of his onward purchase has a related purchase or is looking for a property it could slow things down massively.

Hope it doesn't happen to you, but if you get stuck in a chain it could drag on for months and the estate agent will tell you what you want to hear and make empty promises to string you along and keep the chain together.
krisricey
krisricey avatar

2022 posts since 24/3/12

3 Dec 2019 14:11
Thanks for the info mate. Just gonna have to wait and see I suppose, I'm more okay with the waiting than the mrs, but we're back in with my marge and it's far from ideal at 29 years old.

I'm hoping that the places he finds are available with no chain, he did mention something about flats being ready to go mid January so I assume they're either new build or vacant old ones.
MrW
MrW avatar

2597 posts since 1/8/11

3 Dec 2019 14:12
krisricey wrote: Vendor is saying that he needs to find a flat to rent before he moves out
krisricey wrote: Offer was placed and accepted October and it's chain free.
krisricey wrote: I believe he is going to be buying a flat, said he's got a couple to look at which are available mid Jan.

I'd get your solicitor to get nailed down 100% what the vendor's doing - buying or renting. If you bought somewhere chain free, that should mean no onward chain, not pissing around waiting for vendor to find somewhere to rent or buy.

If he's buying and has only got a couple of viewings lined up for Jan, nearly 3 months after he's accepted your offer, he's a fucking joker. Be prepared to go elsewhere…….
swede
swede avatar

8262 posts since 21/3/09

3 Dec 2019 14:14
krisricey wrote: I believe he is going to be buying a flat, said he's got a couple to look at which are available mid Jan


krisricey wrote: Offer was placed and accepted October and it's chain free.

something not adding up here mate………. i doubt you'll even be in by March if he has to buy somewhere and he hasn't even got an offer accepted
swede
swede avatar

8262 posts since 21/3/09

posted 3 Dec 2019 14:29, edited 3 Dec 2019 14:29
^sorry for repeating everything - I hadn't refreshed my browser

I'd hold off on cancelling that holiday you have planned
Kadafi39
Kadafi39 avatar

1571 posts since 30/10/09

posted 3 Dec 2019 14:34, edited 3 Dec 2019 14:34
krisricey wrote: Thanks for the info mate. Just gonna have to wait and see I suppose, I'm more okay with the waiting than the mrs, but we're back in with my marge and it's far from ideal at 29 years old.

I'm hoping that the places he finds are available with no chain, he did mention something about flats being ready to go mid January so I assume they're either new build or vacant old ones.

No worries mate, speak with your solicitor and ask him to find out the exact position of the seller's;

If the onward purchase has a chain? Is it a new build, if so what build stage are they at? Does the vendor need a mortgage for his onward purchase?

If any of the above are not what you wanted to hear, hate to say it but swede could be right and it may drag on for months.

Bear in mind the expiry date of your mortgage also, most are 6 months from formal offer. If its getting close ask your broker to renew otherwise you may have to go through the application process again.