General Discussion: Property thread


Show original post
darko
darko avatar

1061 posts since 4/10/12

16 Dec 2020 11:32
Cheers lads, getting details from the owner now on who she is insured with, her premium and details on the locks etc. to get some quotes.

Cool
darko
darko avatar

1061 posts since 4/10/12

7 Jan 2021 10:44
Is it normal for valuation/survey dates to be re-arranged?

Nationwide who are doing the valuation and building survey have moved our date around 7(!!) times now, taking the piss
illwill
illwill avatar

4117 posts since 17/5/04

7 Jan 2021 11:16
Weird. Dunno what the problem could be.
andymakesglasses
andymakesglasses avatar

20522 posts since 26/1/06

7 Jan 2021 11:36
Doesn't sound normal but then Christmas, New Year and the Coronavirus won't be helping.
Kadafi39
Kadafi39 avatar

1912 posts since 30/10/09

8 Jan 2021 11:22
Most lenders are massively behind with valuations. Surveyors refusing to visit properties and xmas have caused a 6+ week lead time for surveys.
sydneyking
sydneyking avatar

4965 posts since 26/9/09

8 Jan 2021 11:28
darko wrote: Is it normal for valuation/survey dates to be re-arranged?

Nationwide who are doing the valuation and building survey have moved our date around 7(!!) times now, taking the piss

Had an absolute nightmare arranging my mortgage with nationwide, in the end I emailed the chief exec. Within 2 days of that they’d completed the survey and waived all fees.
darko
darko avatar

1061 posts since 4/10/12

posted 8 Jan 2021 11:37, edited 8 Jan 2021 11:37
Would you mind pm’ing me Syd? I’ll give it a go.

Even our mortgage advisor is being fobbed off by them now, 7 changes is a piss take.

You can still go out to work and go into peoples houses if you can’t work from home so fuck knows what the problem is.
Kadafi39
Kadafi39 avatar

1912 posts since 30/10/09

posted 8 Jan 2021 11:43, edited 8 Jan 2021 11:43
Many are refusing, they don't want to take the risk of catching covid for the £250 odd the lender will pay them for the valuation.
TROYBOY
TROYBOY avatar

828 posts since 28/2/12

8 Jan 2021 17:38
£250? I'll do it for £200. Everyones a winner……
Crackajack
Crackajack avatar

7853 posts since 21/4/05

8 Jan 2021 18:10
Kadafi39 wrote: Many are refusing, they don't want to take the risk of catching covid for the £250 odd the lender will pay them for the valuation.

Isn't the valuation just 'drive by' so they look at the road / exterior and that's it (if that) and mainly base it on sold price data? I can understand a building survey being time consuming / backed up though.
Razorlight123
Razorlight123 avatar

4808 posts since 13/1/10

posted 8 Jan 2021 19:13, edited 8 Jan 2021 19:13
I had a survey done with Lloyds all done give or take 1-2wks in December.
Kadafi39
Kadafi39 avatar

1912 posts since 30/10/09

10 Jan 2021 16:23
Crackajack wrote:
Kadafi39 wrote: Many are refusing, they don't want to take the risk of catching covid for the £250 odd the lender will pay them for the valuation.

Isn't the valuation just 'drive by' so they look at the road / exterior and that's it (if that) and mainly base it on sold price data? I can understand a building survey being time consuming / backed up though.

Yeah some lenders are doing drive-by or desktop valuations, but some aren't and many borrowers opt for the additional home buyers survey.
Best
Best avatar

9904 posts since 21/10/05

10 Jan 2021 19:49
Just remortgaged through Habito and would highly recommend. Really straightforward to set up and easy to complete the process. The survey was booked and completed in 3 days. We had done significant renovation since the last survey and it was still a breeze despite a large increase in value.

The market is flying round here at the moment, on my street of 60ish houses two have listed and sold since the week before Christmas.
chinaski
chinaski avatar

350 posts since 15/7/10

10 Jan 2021 20:47
Exchanged on my first flat just before Christmas. New build property with help to buy equity loan… since exchanging the complete date has been pushed back twice and developer is refusing to compensate or anything and resulting in my having to sort new living arrangements until it's finished… tempted to tell them i'm pulling out and seeing what they say but wondered if anyone's got any thoughts before i do..
R
R avatar

13269 posts since 17/5/03

10 Jan 2021 20:56
check the contract. what's the long stop completion date?
Kadafi39
Kadafi39 avatar

1912 posts since 30/10/09

posted 11 Jan 2021 11:07, edited 11 Jan 2021 11:07
chinaski wrote: Exchanged on my first flat just before Christmas. New build property with help to buy equity loan… since exchanging the complete date has been pushed back twice and developer is refusing to compensate or anything and resulting in my having to sort new living arrangements until it's finished… tempted to tell them i'm pulling out and seeing what they say but wondered if anyone's got any thoughts before i do..

Your solicitor should have agreed a long stop completion date with a special condition that gives the developer a certain amount of time, usually 2 or 3 months, past the anticipated legal completion date. If this isn't met you would have the right to rescind the contract.

Most sales offices will push you to their solicitor though, who usually have the best interests of the developer at heart so wont ask for anything to be changed and just blindly accept all the developers clauses.
swede
swede avatar

9504 posts since 21/3/09

11 Jan 2021 11:14
illwill wrote: Weird. Dunno what the problem could be.

Laughing out loud
darko
darko avatar

1061 posts since 4/10/12

posted 16 Jan 2021 17:52, edited 16 Jan 2021 17:52
Valuation number 8 cancelled today (on the day it was due) Cool

Nationwide gave the survey company incorrect paperwork and ordered the wrong inspection type, so the surveyor who was going there today wasn’t qualified to inspect our non-standard construction property.

Holding up the entire process and the elderly vendor is probably going to croak it if she has to re-arrange any more.

What an absolutely useless bunch of wankers Nationwide are, emailed the chief executive and lodged my second formal complaint on Sydneyking’s advice. Shoot me
timmbo
timmbo avatar

3461 posts since 9/2/10

2 Feb 2021 20:21
other than Rightmove and Zoopla, are there any other property websites worth looking at? Any less-obscenely priced equivalents of The Modern House? and yes I'm aware it's an estate agent and therefore not the same as Rightmove/Zoopla.
Crackajack
Crackajack avatar

7853 posts since 21/4/05

2 Feb 2021 20:37
^

This is probably really obvious but assuming you are at the stage of knowing the areas you are looking / relatively prepared to view and proceed get on to the local agents. The one with the type of property you like that has sold / has boards everywhere.

Almost everything will go to RM, but when chains fall through, an earlier look (not actually helpful but you have more time to think) or to get a feel for what will take a lower offer it can be useful to have that relationship or even just be on a mailing list.