General Discussion: Property thread


Show original post
16simon
16simon avatar

599 posts since 21/4/11

2 Sep 2021 08:43
Similar experience to Crutch - I had a posh shed put in at the end of the garden, with power and light. WiFi was originally via powerline extender but signal strength wasn't great so I now have a mesh system which is much better. Mine also wasn't insulated so was only really usable in spring / autumn: I expected that it would get cold in deep winter bit was surprised at how hot it was during the summer even with windows/doors open. I fitted a smart plug and mains heater so that in the winter I can heat it up before I go down there.

I'm fully homeworking since Covid and use it regularly - it does give you that separation between home and work life.
swiftus
swiftus avatar

1514 posts since 1/7/09

2 Sep 2021 09:03
Need to get better coverage towards the back of the house/garden. Better to run cable to the back of the house and add an access point, or go with mesh system? Or combo of both?
16simon
16simon avatar

599 posts since 21/4/11

2 Sep 2021 10:41
I've got a good line of sight from the mesh unit in the back room to the other in the shed and it works well - if you don't have this then maybe cable would be best?
Paul88
Paul88 avatar

289 posts since 6/12/12

2 Sep 2021 11:23
sydneyking wrote: Anyone had their roof re-roofed recently? I’ve just had a quote in for 12k which seems steep considering they’re just replacing the battons and felt and re-using the existing slates. It was 15k if I wanted the fascias replacing too

Depends on the slate, if it's random (scotch) there's a lot of work involved with re-roofing the building. Also you lose roughly 25% of the slate when you re-use them.

If it's Spanish/Chinese I wouldnt re-use them, far shorter lifespan.
stoney
stoney avatar

17766 posts since 22/1/05

3 Sep 2021 18:46
Paid for proper internet to garden shed. A lot of money but a great selling point given where we are at. Guess it depends on length of garden. Ours is like 30/40 meters fro. Router so can’t get decent connection
MrW
MrW avatar

3032 posts since 1/8/11

posted 3 Sep 2021 18:51, edited 3 Sep 2021 18:51
Just get a 4g / 5g router if mesh doesn’t give enough coverage? Data’s cheap as chips nowadays.
hakkajai
hakkajai avatar

149 posts since 14/11/10

5 Sep 2021 19:40
Not sure how well it works, have you tried the powerline network adapters? Sends the through your plug socket. Cheaper than buying a dedicated line.
Razorlight123
Razorlight123 avatar

4996 posts since 13/1/10

posted 8 Sep 2021 22:17, edited 8 Sep 2021 22:17
Man, my solicitor has been quite incompetent during my house purchase, I've had to ask multiple times for things. I had to reconfigure their completion statement as the final funds were not correct and did not agree with my numbers; once I transferred over the money, he stated "I think, you have misunderstood the completion statement, as I am unsure why you have paid so much…", luckily I did as he would have f'd up the completion date.

Anyway, I've now fully exchanged and completed the purchase.

My bank promised a £200 cashback upon completion, I was told by my mortgage advisor that this would be paid to my solicitor (which we later found out was incorrect).

He confirmed that, "No, there are no further funds - note, the balance is now nil, there will be a charge of £75.00 plus VAT to cover our administration costs, if we have to re-open the client account."

Fast forward a month, I received an email stating, "Sorry, it looks like we omitted to charge you for some policies… Please call asap and pay £100".

Roll Eyes
joeyjojo
joeyjojo avatar

4632 posts since 24/8/06

9 Sep 2021 06:45
That happened to me! I get the impression it’s the dregs of law that end up dealing with this kind of thing. Just filling in forms, looking at leases ( which are all probably quite similar ? ) so they just don’t care. They will always get a constant flow of business I guess, with minimal interesting parts. Genuinely don’t think I’ve ever heard someone say their conveyancing solicitor has been good and would recommend.
swede
swede avatar

9886 posts since 21/3/09

9 Sep 2021 07:50
pisstakers Laughing out loud

we've had solicitors taking care of a freehold transfer and they just transferred us back £300 as they didn't use all the time they originally quoted Jawdropping! Ubercool
toocan
toocan avatar

879 posts since 7/11/07

9 Sep 2021 08:36
Razorlight123 wrote: Man, my solicitor has been quite incompetent during my house purchase, I've had to ask multiple times for things. I had to reconfigure their completion statement as the final funds were not correct and did not agree with my numbers; once I transferred over the money, he stated "I think, you have misunderstood the completion statement, as I am unsure why you have paid so much…", luckily I did as he would have f'd up the completion date.

Anyway, I've now fully exchanged and completed the purchase.

My bank promised a £200 cashback upon completion, I was told by my mortgage advisor that this would be paid to my solicitor (which we later found out was incorrect).

He confirmed that, "No, there are no further funds - note, the balance is now nil, there will be a charge of £75.00 plus VAT to cover our administration costs, if we have to re-open the client account."

Fast forward a month, I received an email stating, "Sorry, it looks like we omitted to charge you for some policies… Please call asap and pay £100".

Roll Eyes

Had almost the same experience with the completion statement and constantly chasing.. Their is a reason they call these fuckers "fee earners". The only one that's been ok is Enact (they supposedly do 1 in 4 nationally and just do conveyancing).. The local conurbation based solicitors are fucking morons in my experience. Mine went on holiday for 2 weeks with no one to pick up the progress "shes back in 2 weeks so can look at it then" all the while I'm having to Air BnB places to live and sort storage…
JustinCredible
JustinCredible avatar

2695 posts since 11/6/08

9 Sep 2021 08:49
We accepted an offer on our house and had an offer accepted on the house we're buying back in early May but have still not completed even though there are only 4 parties in the chain! Solicitors and Estate Agents are all useless cunts, get the impression they spend most of their time and effort getting new clients to sign up rather than getting existing clients sales over the line.
Rirawin
Rirawin avatar

9546 posts since 17/7/05

9 Sep 2021 08:58
swede wrote: pisstakers Laughing out loud

we've had solicitors taking care of a freehold transfer and they just transferred us back £300 as they didn't use all the time they originally quoted Jawdropping! Ubercool

Rich get richer.

We went with a local firm that was recommended to us by a friend, wasn't the cheapest, especially when compared to the online firms, but thought as it's local we could easily walk in and discuss face to face any issues. Unfortunately, we didn't get the solicitor my friend had (believe they were a partner at the firm) and instead allocated a different one. We had to constantly chase for things and she even delayed the starting process by not requesting documents from us. The request eventually came from the Estate Agent who thought we were purposely delaying the process, leaving us rather embarrassed. Fortunately, the local firm had a "satisfaction guaranteed" policy whereby they refunded 10% of their fee if you weren't happy with their service. I complained and managed to get 20% of the fee refunded.

In contrast, our other friends who bought an apartment that was leasehold (a little more complex than a freehold), went with an online conveyancer and paid about a third of what we paid, and they had no issues at all!
toocan
toocan avatar

879 posts since 7/11/07

9 Sep 2021 10:15
JustinCredible wrote: We accepted an offer on our house and had an offer accepted on the house we're buying back in early May but have still not completed even though there are only 4 parties in the chain! Solicitors and Estate Agents are all useless cunts, get the impression they spend most of their time and effort getting new clients to sign up rather than getting existing clients sales over the line.
Mine was end of April and neither me nor the Vendor is in a chain… be 2 weeks tomorrow to complete absolute piss take
mtthrvy2
mtthrvy2 avatar

1964 posts since 8/11/10

9 Sep 2021 10:58
I dont think solicitors actually want conveyancing work - I would also be tempted to go with an online conveyancer next time round.

JustinCredible
JustinCredible avatar

2695 posts since 11/6/08

9 Sep 2021 12:05
Stamp duty goes up again in October so looking increasingly likely will have to fork out extra for that
Razorlight123
Razorlight123 avatar

4996 posts since 13/1/10

posted 16 Sep 2021 12:20, edited 16 Sep 2021 12:20
Any fuker with Octopus energy, I'm considering switching to them, and they give £50 for a referral.

Edit: sorted now! Thanks to those that got in touch.
Rirawin
Rirawin avatar

9546 posts since 17/7/05

16 Sep 2021 15:29
share.octopus.energy/airy-lark-10 Sticking out tongue
Razorlight123
Razorlight123 avatar

4996 posts since 13/1/10

posted 6 Oct 2021 13:23, edited 6 Oct 2021 13:23
Anyone got reccomendations of where to get a Site and Location Plans for planning application?

edit: Thanks Kadafi39 for helping me out with this process
Kadafi39
Kadafi39 avatar

2011 posts since 30/10/09

6 Oct 2021 13:37
Razorlight123 wrote: Anyone got reccomendations of where to get a Site and Location Plans for planning application?

I know from your post above your solicitor didn't give you much, but surely he sent you the Land Registry plan?!

I've used them for both site and location plans for planning applications and never had an issue.

You can also get a plan from LR's map search here;
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mapsearch

If it starts asking you to sign up for an account etc just PM me property address and your email address and I will email it to you.